BUPENORPHINE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAS ANYONE...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kayebee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. kayebee

kayebee New Member

Has anyone heard of the drug BUPENORPHINE used for Fibro patients, or has anyone tried it?

Thanks,
    Kayebee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

bupenorphine and buprenorphine; but it seems to be the same drug from what I could see when I googled them.

It's used for 2 different things - one is for heroin withdrawal, the other IS for fibro pain.

Here is what I found about its use for fibro, from Life Extension Foundation (lef.org):
    ----------

"A PAIN-SUPPRESSING DRUG FOR FIBROMYALGIA

Physicians may prescribe the drug buprenorphine for patients with persistent symptoms or patients with severe symptoms at the outset of fibromyalgia. Buprenorphine is a mild narcotic with agonist and antagonist properties that has a very low addiction liability, if any.

"Patients can use buprenorphine for a long time without developing serious withdrawal symptoms when the drug is discontinued. This drug is virtually unknown among most physicians.

"Because depression compounds and confounds fibromyalgia, it is particularly interesting that buprenorphine is a very rapidly acting antidepressant that works when other antidepressants fail. In addition, it helps patients sleep, probably as a result of pain reduction.

"These qualities make buprenorphine particularly useful in the treatment of fibromyalgia because pain, sleep abnormalities, and depression predominate in the constellation of symptoms.

"The dosage is variable. Buprenorphine is also available commercially as an injectable, a 0.3-mg ampule, a small dose even for injection."
    ----------

Sounds like it could be useful, haven't heard anyone talking about it, maybe this bump will help ferret out anyone using it.... did you type it in the search box for this site?

All the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Bumping for more input ...

E.