Burning hip pain, can't stand very long

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by imabeatlelover, Nov 12, 2008.

1. imabeatlelover

imabeatlelover New Member

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 2 years ago and I also have degenerative disc disease and I go in for spinal epidurals about 4 tiimes a year to help with the disc pain. My question is, I now can only stand for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and I get a horrible burning, aching pain in my lower back and hips and have to go sit down to relieve the pain. I have trained myself to do all things in "shifts" (sitting for a few minutes and then standing for a few minutes) so I can at least get something done during the day, but not nearly as much as I need to. I used to think that being unable to stand for very long was because of the disc degeneration, but now I'm starting to think it's been the Fibromyalgia all along because disc pain seems like an altogether different type of pain than I've been having. I was wondering if Fibromyalgia can make it so you can only stand for a limited time before the pain makes you sit down again? I tried to go for a walk (they keep telling me that exercise is good for Fibro) but I only made it about a half a block and suddenly the pain started and it suddenly felt like I was walking in mud up to my waist. It was SO HARD to raise my legs and walk back and very very painful in my hips, legs and lower back. Are these symptoms of Fibro? I have always blamed it on my Degenerative Discs but it's getting harder and harder to go out places because when I try to do any walking it's like I'm suddely hit with this horrible burning pain and feels like someone has tied cement blocks to my legs. By the time I finally get home I feel like I've been hit by a truck, like I'm coming down with the flu because of the aches all over and I head straight to bed. I think I might have been blaming the wrong disease for my problems. Can Fibro do all of this to someone? Thanks in advance for your help....I am all but totally homebound now since it just doesn't seem worth the pain I go through if I go out anywhere.

2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I could have wrote your post! Read my profile. I can stand and sit a bit longer than you. I see a chiro. and although it has been painful, I have found relief most days. I still have to pace myself, but it is better. Fibro can cause the burning and so does the sciatic nerve. An ice pack also helps me, I leave it on longer than is recommended. I could barely walk before I started seeing my chiro. and it has taken a long time but now I can walk .6 of a mile, at a granny's pace. But I can do it. And it wears me out. But the main thing is I can do it! Do you have support under your knees at night? This will help also. I have even slept with the ice pack on all night. I know it's not recomended, and I am not saying you should. But it has helped me. See if you can find a chiro who treats fibro. They are out there. And there is a difference with the one's who don't, so make sure to ask when you call. Hope you get some relief soon. Hugs, Robin