Burning Man Event, or cacophony society?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Aug 26, 2007.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Just wondering if anyone else has gone to the Burning Man event.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2007]
  2. therealmadscientist

It's a bit difficult to describe, but a lot of fun. (Sometimes people who seem to know most about it are people who have never actually gone to it.) It's grown from 400 people to about 40,000 people at Black Rock Desert now.

Perhaps search for Burning Man on google or Wikipedia. Or look up "images",etc, if you really want to get confused.

The Cacophony Society was was originally mainly a newsletter that listed "bizarre" and amusing events in San Francisco Bay Area. A number of events (like Burning Man) were helped started by being listed in the newsletter.

Oh, there may be a "dumb blonde" theme camp there. A great place to meet people like ones self:)

There are chapters of both groups around the country if you want to create an "event" or find one.

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Never been. But I've seen pictures. I have the impression it attracts the kind of people who used to go to Gratefull Dead concerts.

Course I've never been to one of those either.

Later, Gator

4. therealmadscientist

Hmmm, I've never been to a Grateful deal concert. I have been to a Rainbow Gathering that was near here. They seemed more like wandering gypsies than anything.

The people at the BM actually have higher than average per capita incomes than other Californians, etc. One guy serves free margaritas at the Flamingo lounge with pole dancers etc. Costs him about 30,000 a year.
    The $280 tickets tend to deter the Rainbow crowd. Over a week's time it's only $40 a day though. One of best things is that there are no vendors, so don't spend extra.
    Only things that you can buy with money are ice, coffey, and Bagels. A major alcohol event. It even has AA scheduled meetings and a quaker theme camp. Some bright and creative people there. It is very pro-science and Art.

This year there is going to be an emphasis on solar and green energy. A solar energy set up will be donated to the local town of Gerlach ((population about 400/ "where the roads end, and the West begins"/ five bars and no churches)).
    so they'll probably have free electricity for next 20 years.
    A couple of years ago a friend visited the Flamingo Lounge....great time for him, free drinks and "gorgeous blonde pole dancer" so I decided I'd check it out the next night, only a block away. Unfortunately, a big guy with a dark beard was the dancer, so took fun out it for me.
    I went to BM when it started in the desert, with only 400 people it was much more intimate and trail blazing fun.
    Now, it is humongous with over 100 planes landing at the temporary airport.
    Mr Bill

I tend to get a bit carried away,etc, this time of year.

5. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I think I'm in love :) Ok, I have to admit at first I thought you were talking about the Wicker Man (I'm blonde too-ha)but now I gotcha. Never been or heard too much about it. Did like the Wicker Man movie though (the original)but it can't beat my favorite...Harold and Maude.

Now that I'm completely off the subject I'll just end it here.

6. therealmadscientist

Thank you,...I guess:)

You think I'm weird! You should see the other people!

I think the wicker man stuff a bit too scary for me.
    Harold and Maude funny, but not really me. I'm more the Dr Fronkenstein type. More purposeful.

Just because a bunch of people with tentative bipolar diagnoses synchronize their mood swings and meet in the desert with peaking charisma and contagious euphoria doesn't mean that anything weird happening out there:)

I do miss a few things that used to be out there, like the "Drive by shooting range". Kids nowadays don't have the practice and have terrible aim.

I missed the "Car Hunt", though have seen on TV. A car was put on automatic drive and hunted down by people with weapons such as biggame rifles.

The anarchy and wildness missing nowadays from BM. I'll always remember the night of the burning "Glutco headquarters building". I hope to see the lightning from the giant Tesla coil this year.

Now, 400 flame dancers in one performance pretty impressive, but I still remember that one single dancer long ago. Sigh.
    LOL your mr Bill

Oh, I'll probably be gone for awhile after tonight.
    I guess everyone's heard more than enough about BM by now:)

7. painterZ

painterZ New Member

thanks for makin' me laugh. We could NEVER get enough of you. Enjoy your break though!!

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

did you go? To the Burning Man festival?

I see the climatic event got off to an early start this year. Maybe someday scientists will engineer a gene that will make people behave themselves.

But I doubt it.

9. therealmadscientist

Here he is, here he is
    merry me, merry you,
    let's merry merry.......don't ever marry!
    Whooops, can't be too merry can we be?

I was going to wait a few days before posting....but a little red wine-wind-winding at the local computer cafe
    changed me.

Anyway, thanks, it really is a good time. To see happy people.....(I must have fallen in love 50 times)...is nice.
    I travel a bit primitive, sleep in the open....an RV would be more appropriate for my age and shape. A few hours of uncontrolled dancing wears me down. Sigh
    Anyhow, thanks, I'm fine.....only pretending to be manic......I hope:) Your Mr Bill

(feeling good, but a bit good physically fatiqued)

P.S. I was at the Black Rock desert and BM.

9/6/07 Not quite really back......just want to sleep and recover..... though back at work today.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2007]