Burning Pain in only one leg

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Jan 19, 2007.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have a question for everyone. Does anyone else have more pain on one side then the other and is any of it burning pain. My left leg last night felt like it was on fire and burned so bad that i couldn't even lay on it. Nomally this is the leg that hurts worse but never the burning like that. I also have bursitis so could that be part of it or the could it be from my herniated disc? I'm at a loss so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.....SueF
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

Burning Pain usually relates to the nerves, so my guess would be it's from your back herniation.

I have buring pain in my left elbow due to neck herniation. Man it does hurt doesn't it? The only thing I've found that helps some is heat & massage. Pain meds don't seem to touch it, since the nerves are compressed 24 x 7. I also have back herniation as well, but so far I don't have the burning pain in my leg(s).

I generally have more pain on the left side due to my herniations.

3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Ouch I've never had shingles that I am aware of. I'm not even sure how you would check for those If you let me know when I go to my next appointment at the pain clinic i'll have them check it out.
    TKE I've had the nerve test done already and they said that my herniated disc is not effecting my leg.
  4. cjg4ever

cjg4ever New Member

I also have really bad burning pain in the left leg.I went to the ER because it hurt so bad.The dr. told me he thought it was bursitis.He said put ice on it and take advil.It still hurts really bad,not getting any better.Its weriod thats it only one leg.
  5. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

& I am assuming it's the fibro. While I do have back problems, this is not the type I had before w/ my back issues. It is the same pain I get in my fingers & toes sometimes . My rheumy thinks I may have a slight case of RA though, so I don't know for sure if the leg burning IS fibro, or the RA. It literally feels as if I have a blow torch on it. It will stay awhile, & disappear, then come back out of the blue.
    My last rheumy gave me shots into the joint spaces of some fingers that were burning, & it worked great , & helped for most of last winter. I thought I liked my new rheumy, but I have been on some kind of anti inflammatory for the past 6 yrs, & he has me on nothing. I went in the week before last because I was hurting so bad. After not receiving a phone call all that week, or this week, I finally got a note of my labs today. It said they were normal, & that no script was needed. I am furious!! I need to be on something, & the guy won't listen. I live in a small town, & doctors are few & far between.did well on Plaquenil, but had to eventually go off due to side effects. Ibuprofen, etc, do nothing. I used to be on Relafen, it did nothing. I told him when I went in, I was ready for Methotrexate. Does he listen, no!! I'm so ticked. I'm on Morphine, Vicodin, Ultram, Flexaril, & it doesn't even help the joint pain in knees, fingers, toes, hips, etc.
    Sorry to rant in regard to YOUR question, just needed to vent a little, I apologize for getting off topic.. Hope you feel better soon :)
  6. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

and I have it continuously in my right arm now after complaining for over half a year that my shoulder and elbow hurt on that side and that's the side that was injured in a car accident in 85' and everyone knows I have a neck injury but no regular doc has correlated this burning pain to that except my pain doctor did just after she said she couldn't help me anymore.

I also get it in my hands and feet alot. I also get it....and this is really weird.....I get in my left back leg in a perfectly circular shape. Feels really funky, like I wet my pants, lol, but it's not in the right location to really serious think that but that's how hot it gets and I think it only lasts around 5 minutes. No, I have NOT shared that with my doctors, though it would be interesting to video their reactions now wouldn't it? Do I sound like a frustrated fibro patient or what!!
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

cjg4ever - I do have bursitis in both of my hips and have tried both heat and ice. that doesn't help at all and with all the meds i'm on i'm not allowed to take advil or tylonal. Apperently it isn't good for my stomach.

lv2sing - like you i have a slight case of ra. i've never had the shot in my fingers but have had two shots in my hip area for the bursitis. Between the two of them I go about 2 weeks worth of no pain. Usually it isn't this burning pain but your right it feels like a blow torch is right on the leg and it just won't go away. I'm going on day two of this. oh and don't worry about venting i do it all the time i'm just lucky enough to have a mom that believes in what i have so she lets me rant all i want.

enyoysue - i am so sorry your doctor said there was nothing else that they could do for you. Did they at least refer you to another doctor? I'm lucky cause my rhumey said as far as the meds and the treatment of the burning pain and the bursitis and the herniated disc he wasn't sure what else to try so he refered me to a neuologist but i still see my rhumey about every 3 months just so he can check and see how i'm doing and what meds i'm on and what they have tried. the pain in my leg is not continuous so when it does start happening i become a real baby about it cause once it's gone i forget just how bad it can burn. I can't even let my pants slide down or up on this leg or it hurts more. I hope you find a good doctor that is willing to help you.

joyfully - I have seen a neurologist. My rhuemy sent me to one as soon as the shots for the bursitis wasn't working. He proceded to do a ephedural on my spine with some pain meds and that lasted around a month. the second time i went in he said that he would give me one more but if it didn't last more then one month he was not going to give me any more and set up an appointment with a pain clinic that same day just incase the ephedural didn't work. now i'm at the pain clinc. once again i'm lucky cause they do listen and take their time listening to my complaints. i do have a few complaints about the clinic too but i've learned with doctors not to expect too much, much less perfection. lol.

Thank you for all the replies. I have a feeling it is just my bursitis since i did have the nerve test done with the herniated disc and it came back fine. I'm just going to have to let my doc know how bad it got when i go see him. for the past month i have been keeping a log of my activities and my pain. I'm just going to print it off when i go see the pain doctor and he can go from there. figured i should put it on the computer since i am in the middle of a reconsideration i might be able to have this entered into my file. then once again i can just copy it. Anyways getting off the subject so once again thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.......SueF