Burning sensation from virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foggyfroggy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I just read on a post recently that a burning sensation is caused by virus's.

Can anyone tell me what this burn is like?

I have posted questions before about a burning sensation I get when I am in a flare but no-one has ever responded with anything close.

Thanks,
    Gretch
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2006]
  2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

3. AcappellaMusic

AcappellaMusic New Member

Mine feels like someone is burning me with a torch or an iron. I am going to give lipoic acid a try and see if that helps me. I natural doctor told me to try it one time, but of course I didn't stay with it long enough to see if it would work. Hope you feel better.
  4. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Thanks for responding!

My burning is like a bad sunburn and is in the morning when I first wake up on days that I am in a flare. Otherwise it's very faint or not there.

It's worst on my back arms and legs, but I can feel it everywhere. I take my morning Xanax and Lamictal and it wears off in an hour or so depending on how bad it started out. It happens sometimes when I wake up at night too. There is always a minute or two before it hits.
    Bizarre huh?

Gretchen
  5. I get the burning thing too but my skin gets red.I think maybe menepause.Unless someonecan tell me different. Ruthie
  6. I get the burning thing too but my skin gets red.I think maybe menepause.Unless someonecan tell me different. Ruthie
  7. I get the burning thing too but my skin gets red.I think maybe menepause.Unless someonecan tell me different. Ruthie
  8. I get the burning thing too but my skin gets red.I think maybe menepause.Unless someonecan tell me different. Ruthie
  9. I get the burning thing too but my skin gets red.I think maybe menepause.Unless someonecan tell me different. Ruthie
  10. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

11. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My burn feels like a bad sunburn. Everytime I have an acute CFS I get it. This time it started in my arms, across my back, and up my neck, face, and scalp.

It's lessening now after a month. My doctor has just given me Lyrica 25 mg which is normally given for the neurotransmitters for post shingle pain. I don't have shingles, but I probably have a virus in that family.

When I'm stressed or when I awaken after sleep, it also intensifies for a minute.

When I am in remission, it no longer bothers me.

Consider it a normal symptom of your condition. You've got a virus hanging out in your system. Eat well and rest well and drink plenty of water.

Good luck.

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2006]
  12. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Foggy, I agree with the comments of WakeMeUp and Cheryl Sue..I think it's likely that 'post-viral' conditions are responsible for the burning skin symptoms you're experiencing. (Of course, it's best to ask your primary care doc and pain mgmt. doc to learn more.)

In the 20+ years of my experience with this "DD"..I've had many strange, sporadic sensations of the skin, especially. I've also had crawling sensations; sharp quick pains in my teeth and toes; and fleeting sensations of heat--as though the skin of my upper back near my underarms were on fire.

Presently, I keep having a crawling sensation on my right outer wrist as though an ant is creeping along. This sensation is sporadic and I keep absent-mindedly swatting at it or scrathing it, before I remember it is a skin neuralgic symptom.

I had a lot more of these shifting and annoying symptoms before starting on "Lyrica" (Pregabalin) last fall. Every four to six hours, I take 25 mg. of Lyrica, with 50 mg. of "Tramadol" and 325 mg. of Tylenol. This level of meds seems to mostly control the back pain I have from two damaged vertabae, and more specifically for post-herpetic pain, the "Lyrica" has reduced muscle and skin neuralgia about 70% to 75%. (Now, I can enjoy hugs without cringing and even crying out!) I like to take the lowest possible dosage of pain medication that will reduce my pain and discomfort to a 'livable' level. I want to have 'somewhere' of higher dosages to go if the lower level dosages doesn't manage the pain.

As I've been told by my pain management doctors, "Lyrica" is specifically directed to reduce post-herpetic neuralgia. Throughout my life I have had 'cold sores' and about 1975 I had a mild 'shingles' outbreak. In the early '80's I had episodes of severe fatigue and exhaustion. (I've had extreme muscle pain since 1986, as I've had a number of 'herpetic' illnesses, such as Epstein-Barr virus [which causes mononucleosis] in the early '80's--and is considered by many researchers to be responsible for the chronic fatigue many of us experience.)

More recently, I've had two major 'shingles' outbreaks in 2003 and my muscle pain--or fibromyalgia--got much worse in 2004 and 2005.

As I understand it, the 'family' of herpes viruses is extremely large--over a 1000 different strains have been identified. These viruses live and replicate inside the nerve cells making it very difficult for the immune system to get at them. And, apparently, some of us have inherited dysfunctional immune systems. I know I have--both my mother and father had frequent cold sores.
    My information is mostly from research I've done reading. Also, with health care professionals as well as online for the last seven years or so.

Thank goodness, there is massive ongoing research going on all over the world and I believe more help is coming soon.

I've learned to maintain a middle ground with my symptoms: I don't ignore these symptoms---AND I don't dwell on them. I write my questions down in my little black notebook and ask my primary care doc about them. At the same time, I've learned how important it is to find soothing and engrossing interests so that I don't dwell on the symptoms. (Often this is easier said than done!)

I wish you the best of good fortune! Take good care of yourself, Foggy. And thanks for bringing up a very frequent and troubling set of symptoms.
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2006]

[ advertisement ]