Burning sensation on neck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MoibonFL, Feb 14, 2007.

1. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

For the past 2 weeks I've had a burning sensation/irritation on my neck by my hairline and down towards lower neck. Can't see anything although hubby thinks he sees little bumps..isn't rashy or red..does anyone else have this? Could it be a side effect from the Cymbalta I started on a few weeks ago? Seems to have coincided..
  2. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Driving me craxy and very painful. It's almost as if the tiny hair-follicle gets raw and you can only see a tiny pin-head dot. Cannot wear any clothing without pain there. Had this also down back along spine. Very vexing. I do not take Cymbalta.

I don't recommend this but, long story why I thought to do it, I took without my MD approval 3 grams of Valtrex for 8 days and it seems to have cured it.

It sucks. It's real.
  3. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Do you know what causes this? It's almost like I burned myself with my curling iron or something caustic like when you color your hair got on my skin...invisible burn?? lol I don't have it any;where else..and yes, collars on blouses and my work shirt irritate me! It feels too hot on my neck..I've had itchy's before but this is different. I put gold bond powder on it but it doesn't seem to work but if I'm sweaty, it helps to not keep my collar rubbing in that spot. Thanks for writing!
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I think it is nerve related. I don't know but I have it right now. In my case I thought some out of control herpes virus was attacking me but, honestly, don't take my counsel on that.

I can only wear one kind of (really expensive) tee shirt because the stitching doesn't irritate it -- they make everything now with the sharpest synthetic threads. All the tags are cut out of my collars, silk scarves inside collars, etc.

I wish I could help you more but at least you know you are not alone.

By the way I was at my neurologist one day with my underwear on inside out and he said a lot of his patients with pain problems do that. I wear my clothes inside out at home too.

Best.
  5. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I also have this very unique, itch and burning. Wearing a bra and clothes, besides 100% soft cotton, really hurts, burns and itches me.

For me, this has been going on and off for the past three (3) years. The itching is through the middle of my back...somtimes it traveles through my whole back. I found a lotion called "Sarina"... it's steroid-free, dermatologist recommended and pretty much odor-less. It says on the white and blue pump bottle, "anti-itch lotion" relieves itching and cools irritated skin in: sunburns, dry-itchy skin, poisen ivy and poisen oak.

Also, I use "Solorcaine" spray: burn relief with Aloe and Lidocane, Extra Strength.

These two products help me and hopefully will help others.

Eileen
  6. moab341

moab341 New Member

I have drastically changed how I dress with FM!
    I cannot stand to wear a bra or anything constrictive at all. I'll wear tank tops under sweaters and shirts and loose fitting clothes and NO HEALS anymore.
    I just can't stand it....I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin if I have something uncomfortable on.

Something weird is when I'm in bed, if I turn over on my stomach it feels like a burning, itching sensation and I have to move..it's just too irritating.
    I have no idea what causes that, but I intend to ask my new Doc (Rheumy) when I see him the 26th!

7. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

BUMPITY BUMP...

For those who needed help.
  8. bronzee

bronzee New Member

I can relate to you MOAB341 please let me know when you find out. I get out of my clothes early when i iam around the house at about 8 or 7p..i be trying to relax and i also wear loose fitting clothes. I am irriated to and i itching too. You are not alone.
  9. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Wow...I certainly am not alone! I washed the area today with a wash cloth just like regular when I was in the shower and it seems to feel more sore tonight, specially where my neck/shoulder meet at the clavicle bone. What is this Dumb stuff!! Not as sore up underneath my hair line but tender if i touch it only on the left side. When I turn my head to the left it also feels like it's pulling like the skin is tight? weird. Thanks for everyone's input..I might try a cream tonight and tie my hair up if i can find something to put on it. can't wait to hear what the Rhumy says!
  10. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

bump again
  11. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I wrote a message in this Post but so far, I don't see anyone willing to try the ointment and spray that I took the time to write about, which has been helping me. Basically, when I use these two thing's, I'm in the house with a long, cotton nighty on.

I just Googled "itchy and burn" and there is lots of information, especially on "Medicinenet.com". Just glanced at it quickly because it's 5:30 a.m. on Saturday and I am exhausted.

Some info.: Cause of Itch ... Most Common: psychological, stress, anxiety, dry skin, sunburn, U.V. Radiation from the sun, metabolic.....ect.. ect..

Good Night.

Eileen

(Revised - Way too many typo's at 5:30 a.m)

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  12. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Eileen..the only reason I didn't try your remedies is because I don't have them readily available here when the burning is bothering me, I try not to think about it 24/7 and bedtime is when It seems to aggravate me more when I get changed..I will look today at the pharmacy..did you mean Sarna lotion? I used tea tree oil last night but it didn't do anything.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  13. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

How are members doing that have this gosh forsaken itch and burning??

Mine is on and off with some help form the lotion and spray.

Eileen
  14. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

you know, I tried the tea tree oil and did not think it helped but I applied it again the next day and it did do some good. Think I might keep doing this for a few days in a row a couple of times each day and see if it works. I'm just glad it's the only place (knocking on wood now) that I have this dumb stuff!
  15. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

tee tree oil and where could I get it?

So, it's been helping you? That's wonderful. I've been scratching my back raw with a back scratcher. Because of that I'm not able to apply the lotion and spray I mentioned earlier in a post. Stupid me!!!!

Eileen
  16. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

i had hot scalding leg pain for years--i started treating my extremely acid ph---it went away--i still struggle with acidosis. dont over look ph. dont overlook ph. i also read that viruses lodeged in brain and spine can cause this. try olive leaf extract in high doses. read up on alternative methods--you may find help there. remember it takes a lot to make a body sick.
  17. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I actually get it at CVS pharmacy in the hair section. It is for dry skin and scalp. It has vitamin 3 and aloe vera and says its also a fungus fighter. It contains a lot of natural oils such as tea tree oil, sunflower oil, carrot extract. Also soybean oil peanut oil and almond oil and some other junk..lol.. It's a tiny bottle similar to what vitamin e comes in. This particular brand is my Hollywood Beauty Imports, Hollywood Florida. Supposed to have healing and restorative properties.. as with any natural remedy there may be people who cannot use these..Here is one site that can give you more information although there are a ton of other sites available. http://www.teatreeoilhealth.com/about_tea_tree_oil.htm

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2007]
  18. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

This is exactly what I use..and it's Available also at walgreens drug...if you click or copy and paste the link below, they give a description, purposes and warnings..This is NOT 100% pure tea tree oil but it's nice..and has other added benefits too.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod368209&CATID=301666&skuid=sku368210&V=G&ec=frgl_748669
  19. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I don't know why, but that particular spot on my neck is no longer burning! It's so weird! Today i had a time when I thought my collar was aggravating my neck and making the muscle underneath feel burning but it's subsided...Good luck all..guess it was only temporary..doc said it was probably the lexapro rather than the cymbalta