burning, sensitive skin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sggas, Jun 14, 2003.

1. sggas

sggas New Member

We have encountered a new type of pain and frustration. I did a search (database) on skin burning and noticed that some of you, do have this symptom.
    It has been about a month where he has had numbness and tingling in hands and arms. He also has this burning sensation.....similar to a bad sunburn, in various places on his body. Arms, legs, abdomen. Today when he got in the tub to try to get relief, for about the first five minutes after touching the water. His skin felt like he had biting ants crawling under his skin. He is also having trouble putting on deodorant and says it feels like it is burning his skin. We are still waiting to see the neurologist(feels like a LONG!! time)
    We just wondered if anyone has had this or if there is a name for it. There is no redness or swelling. Just a very painful sensation.
    Thanks
    Moe and Jen
  2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I have the same sensation in my left arm. I keep saying it feels like I burned it but it is not red or anything. It is also numb from my elbow to my wrist.

I had surgery on my left elbow 1 1/2 wks. ago & doc & I thought it was from that because he was messing with nerves. But, now I'm wondering if it isn't some sort of a flare due to the surgery.

My fms doc said I could flare after surgery, but I thought it would be the same old pains I had before, but this is something new & very painful. I can hardly stand the ace wrap over the dressing & I have to keep taking it off because it hurts so bad.

I sure hope your neuro can tell you something & find some relief for him.

Take care.....Kathi
  3. sggas

sggas New Member

Thanks for the response Kathi........we are still wondering if anyone finds it painful to apply deodorant?
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Does the skin actually look red too? Is it slightly swollen and if you scratch it, does the resulting red mark stay there for a long time? If so, I have this, and it usually seems related to eating or drinking foods too high in acid. It esp. happens when I drink lots of iced tea (I live in hot Florida and love to drink it). I have even had it on the bottom of my feet so I could not wear shoes and could barely walk. I usually just put ice packs on it and wait it out. It tends to follow a 24 hr. waxing and waning course, so it may be hormonal. Have you noticed any patterns like that?
    If the above does not sound like the problem it may be peripheral neuropathy, esp. if he is diabetic.
    Then again it may just be this #$!*% disease.
    The numbness and tingling by itself can be caused by low thyroid function, which is a problem for most of us.
    As you can see, I don't have much help to offer...just wanted to say I know the feeling, and I'm sory.
    You might re-title this post and address it to Paul Mark. I haven't seen any posts by him recently. If he is around, I know he has had this biting ant feeling, and that's exactly the words he used to describe it. I believe he has it on his tongue, of all places!
    I hope you get some good advice.
    Klutzo
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

I cannot use deodorant anymore - it just burns. My left armpit is more sensitive than the right and I do not know why. I get the sensitivity in my mouth - like Klutzo mentioned, burning ants, tingling, numbness.

I do not have a rash nor an explanation for it.

Bizarre.

2girls
  6. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I just saw my surgeon today & asked him what he thought the burning on my arm could be. The affected area keeps getting bigger. He said he had no medical reason for it to be from the surgery.

After I saw him I saw the therapist. She got out her trigger point book & saw there are lots of trigger points on the arm. She had this little TENS unis that looks like the kind of thermometer that you put in your ear. It had a wire that ran to a nylon "bracelet" that she put on my right wrist. This thing located the - I'll say "irratated" for lack of the right word - trigger points. She found 5 or 6 on this area of my arm that set the machine off. Then she held this little unit on the trigger point & zapped it for about 30-45 sec. She did this with all of them 2 times. Afterwards I could run my hand over the area w/very little pain. Problem is by the time I got home it was back to the bad burning sensation.

At least this tells me that my surgery did cause a flare in the form of the burning sensation down the arm. She told me to try my TENS unit & see if regular treatments will clear it up. So I guess if it is still so bad after a week or so of TENS treatments, I'll call my fms doc & see what suggestions he has to offer.

Have you found any relief? She also said to try an ice pack or heat - whichever worked the best. Also said to take something very soft like a silk scarf & start to very lightly rub it over the area to de-sensitize the area.

Just a few suggestions if you haven't found any relief yet. If you have, let me know what you did.

Take care........Kathi
  7. gwtwdebbi

gwtwdebbi New Member

I too am having the burning, itching feeling and yes it seems worse in the shower. I thought it was related to the medicine I was taking for my RLS and made the dr change to a new one. But the itching, burning continues....I think that CFS is now getting into a new area to drive us insane and crazy! Wonderful!

Good luck and if anyone finds out what this new symptom is and what can make it better, please post!
  8. sggas

sggas New Member

Thank-you everyone for your responses.
    It gets so complicated sometimes because we are trying different things and also wonder......"Is it this new medication?" "Is it FM or some underlying ailment?" We just plug along and keep experimenting and the board definitely helps to get individual histories.
    Kathi!!......I found it most interesting that your therapist suggested de-sensitizing the area. So many times I have taken my fingertips and litely circled over the area and then got progressively harder until I have worked my way into massaging the skin. It usually helps him feel better for at least awhile. It is funny because when I do it I tell him that he needs to be desensitized......lol
  9. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

It's me again. Was just wondering if you have found any relief for the burning sensation & numbness? Mine is almost completely gone. I just kept trying to de-sensitize it - constantly massaging it, gently at first, then with more & more pressure. One day I woke up & it was mostly gone!

The numbness is still there but that is probably because of the nerve surgery. It is slowly getting better - not fast enough to suit me!

Anyway I was just thinking of you guys & thought I'd check in & see how things are going.

Take care....Kathi
  10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Today at work I felt like my arms were sunburned. I hadn't been out in the sun and there was no redness or rash. It just FELT like a sunburn. It's happened before. I haven't mentioned it to the doctor - I thought "what's the use?" Strange stuff, huh?

Annettew
  11. Msagn

Msagn New Member

Hello Moe & Jen, If you've tried everything else as I had, do a google search on Microdose/Microdose therapy.
    If you have diabeties, this is nto for you. I have been pain free for the past 2 1/2 years on the program.
    Only some arthritic knees that probably are beyond help.

But the burning sensation I had was in my leg muscles, almost like they were on fire.

REad up on the above and come to your own conclusion, if you are like me and have tried everything else to get relief, it may be an answer to your prayers as it was mine.
  12. Jen F

Jen F New Member

are you taking any codeine or any drugs in that family? I had similar but milder skin sensitivity with percoset.

I dont' normally have that, but I notice a number of ppl on this board do without being on meds, it seems.

J.
  13. bakron

bakron New Member

<b>I like your pictures! Cute!</b>

I've also had "spots" of burning as described and have done some research. I've already posted part of what I've found in a previous post regarding this, but here is it again. Hopefully, this will help you:
    Many conditions can cause a "burning pain." To mention a few conditions that may cause this discomfort:

1. "Myofascial syndromes"

2. "Reflex sympathetic dystrophy" - is often described as burning in nature, usually in the hand/arm.

3. "Central Pain" is the name for a pain syndrome that occurs when injury to the Central Nervous System is insufficient to cause numbness but sufficient to cause central sensitization of the pain system. Here is a summary of how this may show as a burning pain:
    <ul>
    An injured motor nerve carries less current; however, injured pain nerves, paradoxically, do the opposite, they increase their signal. It is not a simple increase;

however, they eventually gain momentum to influence uninjured neighbor neurons that then begin "firing."

This process may become so violent that the thalamus (the brain pain center) records "bursts" of impulses from these injured nerves.

After sufficient bombardment threatens neuron death in the thalamus, it "shuts down".

Central Pain apparently occurs at this point, and it is as though the entire pain system is acting like a giant nerve ending.</ul>

"Dysesthesia" (burning pain) may show up away from the point of nerve injury on the body, such as in the distal portions (feet, hands, etc.). As larger areas are covered with "touch", the magnitude of burning becomes greater (that's why some people have problems with clothing, bedding, or other items touching them). The burning pain is of a greater magnitude where touch sensation is poorest, which is usually away from the central points on the body (1).

(1) Devor's work in The Axon , ed.Waxman, Oxford Univ. Press, 1995

4. Arachnoiditis - is a condition characterized by severe stinging and burning pain and neurologic problems. It is caused by an inflammation of the arachnoid lining - one of the 3 linings that surround the brain and spinal cord. This inflammation causes constant irritation, scarring, and binding of nerve roots and blood vessels.

Many times, anti-convulsants such as Neurontin and Klonopin are ordered to help ease the burning pain that people experience.
  14. j00nym00n

j00nym00n New Member

I have burning in my upper back, hands, feet, lower legs. It is constant with no relief. Funny you should mention the ant bite thing. I work part time doing gardening. One day last week I was watering some plants. I squatted down like I do most of the time since I can't stand, sit or lay still for any length of time without feeling like I am going to pass out with pain. I felt the normal ant bite thing going on so I just ignored it like I always do. Well, a few seconds later, I looked down at my feet and they were covered with red ants. Good grief! I honestly can't tell if it is the real thing or if it is just me. That was not the first time it happened either. Now, I am very cautious and check for bugs before blowing it off. Also I have diminished feeling on the skin of my arms and legs. I can't feel mosquito bites anymore, nor do I feel it when I burn myself on the oven. I usually find out that I have burned myself a few hours later when I feel a small itch and see a large blister.