burning skin sensation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaybe, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jaybe

jaybe New Member

i want to ask the people here do any of you get burning skin? i have been getting it for 3 years now, mainly my arms and upper body will get a real burning sensation, when i get it i also feel faint and very frightened, hoping someone can help.
    thank you, julie
  2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I had a burning skin sensation (very bad) when I tried cymbalta!

It could be a reaction to a drug....or just nerve endings.

I have it on my legs very bad...but doc thinks that it is to do with discs in my back causing leg burning.
  3. Remnant

Remnant New Member

I will feel like I'm very sun burned. It's usually aroudn my thighs, butt and legs. Yes, it feels exactly like a sun burn. Dr.s (the ones Ive seen) just look at me like Im a nut case.
  4. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have had that feeling on my arms(& upper body). Just like I am standing right next to a fire.

Had that when I tried to take lexapro and I have it once in a while taking the prozac. Whick I am going to stop it too. I don't like that feeling.

Good luck,
    SherylD
  5. jaybe

jaybe New Member

to you 3 lovely people that replyed to my post, i am on cypramil but i dont think that is causing it.
    julie
  6. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I'm not on any drugs and I also get it from time to time.

At the present time, the left side of my jaw feels sunburned and keeps rubbing against the neck of my jumper!

I think it's fairly common among FMers (just type 'burning' in the search box and you see plenty of postings ), and you don't neccesarily have to be on medication to experience it.

7. damz68

damz68 New Member

My upper body has been burning for almost two years, arms, shoulders and backbone. I am not sure but I think it is a type of nerve pain. It can also be caused by drugs like flagyl. When caused by drugs it will dimenish soon after stopping the drug. I think the burning symptom is called neuropathy, it is a common symptom in lyme and diabetes.

What is real bad is when the burning is so bad that your back sweats and at the same time your cold!
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

Yes, I've had it since I started with this illness.

It comes and goes. Some meds will make it flare-up worse, but sometimes it's there when I'm not taking anything.
  9. carly1229

carly1229 New Member

The skin on my upper body and arms feel like I have been burnt. At times the soreness is so bad, even clothes hurt it. This has been going on for about 15 years or so. I do take some meds, such as BP meds, ERT, etc. I am now on Prozac. But none of the meds are causing it. I feel very frustrated at the options that are available in our area. I am still trying to find a primary care physician that treats (and believes) in fibro and CFS.
  10. 6cats

6cats New Member

I get burning sensations in my left hand on my fingers. The Dr said it was probably due to medication...which one I have no idea...
  11. eyesofblue

eyesofblue New Member

Hi

I have always suffered from burning skin and burning sensations in most parts of my body but especially my hands and feet.

One of my doctors informed me that it was another form of pain that i had to learn to cope with.

Its not easy to cope with it but its something I have had since fibro and another thing to put up with.

Sorry couldnt be more positive

Sandra
  12. jaybe

jaybe New Member

its good to know i am not the only one, but i dont wish it on anybody!
    my skin doesnt hurt to touch like some of you have, its more like standing near a fire. but maybe by the sound of it , it could be related to fm
  13. Gly

Gly New Member

Jaybe, that's what my skin on my thighs often feels like - as if I'm standing near a fire. I've never been able to think up as good a description as that.

I had electrical nerve conductivity testing done which found no abnormality. The neurologist wrote a report to my GP saying that I had symptoms of fibromyalgia.
  14. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Julie,

I get the burning skin sensation all over my body depending on where it wants to settle on that day. There are days it can make it uncomfortable to wear textured clothing like sweaters or things with lace. I get it on my face and scalp or on my ankles depending on the moment.

Since I have migraines I have had to try a migraine elimination diet to find out which foods trigger migraines in me. Many of these migraine food triggers have also triggered the burning pain. I've noticed this because I've been pain free and had eaten a good diet for weeks at a time and then splurged and eaten a trigger food at a time I thought wouldn't cause a migraine. Instead it caused the burning pain to start within 15 minutes of eating.

The foods that have caused this are mostly foods with MSG, especially salad dressing. The other culprit has been bacon and chocolate. Lately I use salsa on my salads since I don't like vinegar and oil and everything else has msg. Try eliminating msg from your diet for awhile then reintroducing it and see what happens.

Good Luck to you I know this isn't a fun pain to have and can be very frustrating.

Jeanette
  15. dwrascaldog

dwrascaldog New Member

I had the burning sensation in differnt parts of my body a few months ago. I had a flare up start in April, '05, then every 2 weeks a new part of my body would start burning, I thought it was muscle burning but it did feel like a sunburn. My skin wasn't sensitive, it was deeper than that. Is that what yours is? It lasted until I stayed on prednisone becuase my family doc thought I had Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and the only thing helping at the time was the prednisone. by the time I could afford to pay a rheumatologist, all symptoms were almost gone except for pain, so she said I had nothing but Fms, plus some osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis, and scoliosis-none of which would cause the inflammation I had. Sed rate was over 45 and c reactive protein was 85.5 (should have been 4.5 at the highest.)
    Anyway, hope this helps. If you find out anything let me know. Thanks.
  16. jaybe

jaybe New Member

i will give that a try with the msg, tho it will proberly be hard to find out what foods have msg in them, i didnt realize so many people have this condition, i dont go anywhere by myself because when i get the burning skin i also feel faint , its so good to have all you people here to talk to,
    bless you you all
    julie