Burning skin with aching pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, May 9, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

all on my right side starting from buttock down back/side of right leg.

sometimes i can barely touch the skin and i've got aching pains scattered thru the areas as well.

i get this sometimes: it seems to be nerve related but not sure. i wonder about sciatica????

even tho it's painful to the touch, i apply Vicks Vaporub to it gently and i've been up since 4am today using the heating pad.

anyone else experience this????
  2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

have you ever tried accupuncture for this? or anything else??
  3. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I have sciatica also and it sounds like thats what you have. I've gotten cortisone injections and that helps for about 3 months. My rheum says he'd rather I didn't get the injections unless the pain is real bad because 3 months isn't very long in other people the injections last longer and to get a bunch of them is not good. I've been to sveral docs for the injections if your going to do it Dr.norris is the way to go. he is either in florence or noho I can't remember I've seen so many docs anyway he has his own method for doing it which is way less painfull than any other doc I promise.The only bad thing is I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe in fibro/cfs so there is no point in metioning this to him.But I still think its worth it cuz his way hurts waaaaaaaayyyyy less.He also got me a back brace that helps some good luck!!!! I put spaces in this message but they are not here guess I don't know how to do that I see the spacing and then its gone how confusing
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

you won't believe this: I AM A PATIENT of Dr. Richard Norris in Florence!!!

i've got other back issues as well....and have a brace from him as well!!! it was fitted at a medical facility in springfield.

i used to TRY to be faithful wearing the brace but it bothers my stomach SO MUCH sometimes i fell out of favor with it! i cannot sit wearing that brace.

i, too, had injections for other back troubles at his office. you're luckier than i was, mine lasted 2-4 weeks! i haven't bothered to try them yet again for a year now. probably should cuz this possible sciatica is NOT FUN!!!

SO FUNNY that we see Dr. Norris!! :)

5. mylilcherub428

That is funny Did you ever mention fibro/cfs to him. Don't know which you have I have fibro. I saw him before I was diagnosed and he was like oh I've seen this a million times b4 they're gonna tell you it's fibromyalgia. He sounded so skeptical. I just let it roll off my back no point arguing with a doctor. How do you do the spaces in the message it looks like I have them put when I post they are gone????
  6. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i was seeing him for my back nine months before i got the fibromyalgia diagnosis. a rheumatologist in florence gave me the diagnosis. didn't mention it to dr. norris cuz my back has a few problems of its own excluding fm.

oh, don't know why your posts appear without spacing. that's odd. after each paragraph i just double click on the enter button.

did you used to live in the northampton area? i did, that's why my doctors are there and i'm here in westfield. i kept my primary care doctor in Noho (Marci Yoss) because she is EXCELLENT and helpful and believes in fibromyalgia and even loaned me a book of hers a year prior to the diagnosis.

i won't return to the rheumatologist up there though (Schwartz in Florence i believe) cuz he didn't have a good bedside manner and he did NOT TELL ME I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA. i left there feeling confused and still up in the air with what i believed i have. he actually mailed the medical reports and fm diagnosis to my primary care doctor.

so when i saw her two months later, she told me she was sorry to hear of my diagnosis. i couldn't believe it!!!! i was SO TICKED OFF.

who is your rheumatologist?

7. mylilcherub428

my rhuem is dr.sweitzer. He is in the same office I believe He also never came right out and said it was fibro.I too found out from my primary Dr.

Who I think has no clue about fibro. Looks at me like I have seven heads when I tell him about weird symtoms. The rhuem also was not helpfull put me on a million nsaids which do nothng

not to metion I told him I did not want to be on celebrex cuz of possible heart problems which run in my family and my dad died of massive coronary failure.Stupid me took all these nsaids which are the same as celebrex.grrrr

so all my docs are dumb haven't been back to the rhuem since the last time i saw him he said he probably can't help me nice huh.and I'm scared to switch my regular doc cuz he gives me percocet and sometimes that is the only way i can survive tryin to chase a 2 yr old around.Scared another doc won't prescribe them to me

I used to live in southampton and work in easthampton at burger king as an asistant manager for 5 years ASo all my docs are in the easthampton northampton area

P.S. I did the spaces yay!!!! I was using the space bar don't know where the logic was in that brain fart I guess lol
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  8. beatlemom

beatlemom New Member

Kim-

I'm new here and was searching expressly for references to that burning feeling.

I too get it down my right leg from hip to knee; also from my ribcage to waist. Usually it happen when I wear clothes that press, even lightly, against me.

I try to wear loose clothing as much as possible; I hardly ever wear a bra cause my ribcage is so sore. I wear bib overall shorts alot in the summer, but the side buttons are now causing the burn. Also elastic waistbands kill me. And now drawstrings are too. They all bother my right side.

So no, I don't think it's sciatica. It is more like a neuropathy, but I haven't had that specifically diagnosed. I do have sciatica periodically. I broke my foot 5 years ago, and was stuck sitting in a recliner for weeks. I got such an attack of sciatica I cried for days. I finally got an injection of steroids directly into my sciatic nerve,and within a few days the pain was just about gone. It has never again been that bad and I AVOID recliners!!

I also have degenerating disks and a couple bulging, so I have constant back pain.

I think our burning pain is just another unwelcome symptom of fibro. One thing I know that helps is the neurontin I take for nerve damage from my broken foot. When I start burning really bad I always realize that I forgot a dose of neurontin!!! It doesn't eliminate it, but it does keep it under control.

I've been so bad with it before that I just laid in bed with cold cloths on my side!!

Good luck to you and I hope this helped!

Beatlemom Darlene