Burning Tongue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rain122865, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

For the past few months my tongue has been burning and raw off and on. It can be fine one day and then it is back and can be gone again the next day or it can stay that way for a week. It also feels kind of numb at times when it does this.I have been tested for Sorjens disease in the past few months so I know it isnt that. There are no white patches on it or anything, just red raw patches like maybe I have brushed it too hard, which is not the case. Has anyone else ever had this happen? If so was there anything you did to make it better?
    Rain
  2. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

For the past few months my tongue has been burning and raw off and on. It can be fine one day and then it is back and can be gone again the next day or it can stay that way for a week. It also feels kind of numb at times when it does this.I have been tested for Sorjens disease in the past few months so I know it isnt that. There are no white patches on it or anything, just red raw patches like maybe I have brushed it too hard, which is not the case. Has anyone else ever had this happen? If so was there anything you did to make it better?
    Rain
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had several people in my support group with this problem, and I used to have it as well,esp. along the sides and tip of my tongue. The center of my tongue and corners of my mouth had dry cracks. I have seen people with this whose tongues looked like raw hamburger.
    In my experience, it is caused by B-complex deficiency brought on by lack of proper digestion and absorption of nutrients in foods. It often goes hand in hand with another condition called Rosacea, which causes redness of the face and tiny red blood vessels on the face that show. For some reason, if FMS folks, it may also be caused by consumption of too many acid foods.
    Try adding B-complex with at least 75 mgs. each of all the major B's, and add a broad spectrum digestive enzyme at each meal. Avoid sodas, and teas, and don't consume too many oranges or cooked tomato products, chocolate, etc. until you start to heal. You may need to take a Probiotic daily as well, if yeast overgrowth is preventing digestion.
    Are there any very glossy looking, smooth areas? If so, ask your doctor to do a blood test for pernicious anemia, esp. if you have any Celtic ancestors.
    It can take some detective work and trial and error to fix this problem, and no small amt. of time, but it can be fixed, so don't give up. I am sitting here with a nice, normal pink tongue, and a few yrs. ago, I had given up hope of ever having one again!
    best wishes,
    Klutzo
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Rain---my sister has just been through this. My advice would be, when the tongue actually has the red raw patches, to go to your Physician, and have it swabbed. If there are any pathogens causing this, it can be identified and a culture can be performed to note drug sensitivities for treatment.
    My sister fooled around with a local Doctor treating her with Nystatin for 6 weeks--for thrush/yeast (Candida Albicans) The sore tongue, eventually got dime size, deep,adhesions. She is an RN in Labor and Delivery out of town, and they did a swab at work, finally, as she was beside herself, couldnt eat or drink. Darned if it didn't turn out to be a staph infection, (she had been working with a respiratory therapist, due to her asthma, and is probably where she picked it up.) and is clearing up nicely now with the proper treatment.
    Have it swabbed---to make sure it is not a pathogen, then if it is nutritional, or something else, you are headed in the right direction.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]
  5. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

Both very much I will try the things you suggested. If that doesn't work I will go to see my doctor. Thanks again!
    Rain