Burnt popcorn smell in microwave

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Mar 29, 2008.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

OOPS, I did it again. (No, I'm not Britany Spears! Ha, ha)

I read that microwave popcorn pops better if it is raised off of the glass plate on the floor of the microwave. I folded a dry terry cloth towel and placed it on the glass plae before sitting the unpopped bag of popcorn on it.

The popcorn took WAY longer to pop than usual in this raised position.

Near thet end of the popping cycle, I smelled burnt something. I stopped nuking it and took the bag out of the microwave. There was only a small burnt spot on the bottom, so I dismissed the burnt smell.

Later in the evening, I went into the kitchen for something and realized the burnt smell was very strong out there. I opened the microwave and the burnt stench smell was overwhelming. It was the TOWEL that was all burnt besides the little burn mark on the popcorn bag.

My microwave stunk so badly that you could hardly go out into the kitchen. I read online that there were three things that supposedly worked for removing burnt popcorn smell. They were vinegar, baking soda, or cut up lemons.

I figured if they were supposed to work independently, why not use all three at the same time. I nuked the vinegar and cut up lemons. When I turned off the microwave, I added the box of baking soda after ripping the complete top off of the box.

I'll be darned, the next day, the smell was reduced by 80%. I kept the combo in there for 2 more days and the smell is gone! It really worked!

I thought I'd share incase someone else gets the burnt smell in the mircrowave. That smell goes deep inside of the microwave where you can't get access to clean it. All three used together really worked.
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Sit a glass of vinegar in there for a day or so but don't forget and microwave it.

It really draws out odors. Just a small one, maybe like a shot glass or small juice glass.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You can always place a glass cup, like a measuring cup with water and a few slices of lemon in it.

Put it on high for a few minutes and let it boil a bit.

The smells should disappear.