Buspar..will it fry my brain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, May 27, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I just started taking this and
    have been doing research into
    this drug. I can not find anywhere
    if it is like the SSRI's.
    I have read enough about prozac,
    paxil, lexapro to know that
    I MUST stay away from these things.
    They do indeed fry your brain and
    many research papers are written about this.
    Last week I was in a panic and popped
    a sample of paxil but after posting here and getting feedback I will refrain from these drugs.
    If anyone knows about this drug I would
    aprreciate info. Someone did copy the
    drug info for me on the board but still
    I am clueless. thanks,
    Judy
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi Judy

I took Buspar several years ago for about one year, for anxiety. I thought it helped quite a bit and did not experience any side effects that I am aware of.

Going to ask my Dr. to give me some again in July as I am feeling very overwhelmed and anxious right now.

Good luck
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

bumping for more insight. Why is this drug not one I hear about here?
    Judy
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have always been interested in this drug.
    I have a lot of anxiety, as does my mother.
    I have been on antidepressants - she will not
    take any. Would like to hear from others who have taken it to see if I should ask my dr about it or steer
    clear of it.
    Thanks.
    Lynn

PS Did a little research and it is not classified as an antidepressant although it shares more properties
    of antidepressants than benzo's. If you google
    groups for buspar you will read of many people's
    experiences with this drug. Most say it is good
    for generalized anxiety, but is not used for panic
    attacks, etc because it takes several weeks to
    kick in.
  5. coyote

coyote New Member

I've been taking Paxil for several years, and it has been a life saver for me. I haven't noticed any problematic side effects. I did read about the severe withdrawal. Done that with Ativan. Awful.
    I posted another thread about Paxil, and am hoping to get some replies re: the scoop @ SSRIs.
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't know anything about this particular drug, but do know about a new study that said all antidepressants permanently change patterns in your brain, so I guess that is a negative for all of them. Knowing that is enough to prevent me from ever taking a mind-altering anti-depressant.

Marilyn
  7. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I use to have terrible anxiety, but I started taking buspar and I am mellowed out. I should say balanced out. I never get that panic attack feeling anymore and I am much easier to live with. I have had a really good result with it and it has helped to clear the fog. I handle my problems well and can make decisions much better now. I use to worry about everything but I dont now. Talk to your doc and get more information. Good Luck, Sis
  8. judywhit

judywhit New Member

thanks sissy and everyone for your feedback. I think I have ocd and racing brain so I hope this helps with this symptom. it is especially bad at night. the ssri's scare me- have a thing about this frying brain that I hear about.
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Taken from; Medscape

BUSPAR ORAL
    Patient Handout

BUSPIRONE - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Buspar

Uses
    Buspirone is used to relieve nervousness, anxiety and tension.

Other Uses
    This medication may also be used for premenstrual syndrome.

How to Take this Medication
    Take this medication with food or milk if stomach upset occurs. It is important to take this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take more often than prescribed. Symptoms will begin to improve within 7 to 10 days of starting this medication. However, it may take 3 to 4 weeks for the full benefit of the medication to be apparent.

Side Effects
    This medication may cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, fatigue, weakness, vivid dreams, sleeplessness, dry skin, blurred vision, altered sense of taste and smell, weight gain, muscle aches, ringing in the ears, nausea, headaches. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor. Notify your doctor if you experience: abnormal movements or "twitches" of the face or neck muscles, other involuntary movements or tremors, depression, confusion, incoordination, chest pain, breathing difficulties. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    Before taking buspirone, tell your doctor your medical history especially: kidney or liver disease, any drug allergies. Limit alcohol intake as it may intensify the dizziness and/or drowsiness effects of buspirone. Use caution when engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug. It is not known if this drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Interactions
    Before taking buspirone tell your doctor of all over-the-counter or prescription drugs you may use especially: other drugs for anxiety or depression, MAOIs (e.g., phenelzine, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazid, selegiline, linezolid, furazolidone), azole or macrolide antibiotics, haloperidol, narcotic pain medications. Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased pupil size.

Notes
    Do not share this medication with others.

Missed Dose
    Take any missed dose as soon as possible but not if it is almost time for the next dose. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose. If more than one dose is missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist to establish a new dosing schedule.

Storage
    Store at room temperature and keep away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom.

[ advertisement ]