Busy bladder while trying to sleep?!?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UPK5, Sep 3, 2005.

1. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Friends,

I have been having a lot of problems especially in the early morning hours with my bladder. I lie down, and have to urinate every 10-20 minutes or so. I usually get up 5 times during the night, which I have learned to deal with. But lately, my bladder keeps waking me up even if I just went from 4 AM or so on. Can anyone relate to this annoying problem? It doesn't hurt to go, it just is sooo frequent. Any suggestions?

I can hold it in a lot longer during my waking hours, than I can when I am lying down. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

Cindy
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Some of us here have the related condition interstitial cystitis, or it could be overactive bladder. Why not ask your doctor to refer you to a urologist?

If you have IC, there is an ICN message board that's very helpful as to diet & treatment.
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Dear Smiffy,

Thank you for the information. I haven't mentioned this problem to my doctor, cause I always seemed to go frequently anyway. However, the past week has been extremely difficult. I also wondered, why it is worse when I am lying down.

Many many years ago, I did have cystitis. I was urinating a lot, but it was very painful to go. It also happened during the day and evening.

I have an appointment in a few weeks with my gynecologist. Maybe I will mention it then. In the meantime, I am going to look up IC as you had recommended.

I wake up more often during the night now than I did when I had newborn babies to take care of!

Thanks again for the information.

Cindy
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I can't live without my Detrol! It calms down overactive and spastic bladder. Just make sure your doc rules out aany other conditions that could be causeing it.

If it's really severe you can go in for the TVT Sling. It's a new medical treatment that I think was used in the Inquisition! The go in thru your stomach, loop a peice of blue plastic mesh under your urethra, attach it to the outside of the vagina and pull it back out through another hole in your stomach.

God help you if your smoke. Nicotine will slow the healing process. God help you if your body rejects it! It'll pop thru into the vagina! It feels like a peice of steel wool that's stuck in there.

You're allowed to have sex after 6 weeks and that's usually how people find out that it's popped thru. Your significant other bumps into it. If you're lucky it won't cut him.

I also had a hysterectomy and a rectal repair. My muscle tissue is degenerating and it took 6 months for my stiches to heal enough for them to back in there to cut it out of me.

5. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Dear Rosie,

Wow, that sounds very painful and uncomfortable.

I hope I will not need a device like that. OUCH!!!

Is this another common part of FMS? Just curious.

Cindy
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Cindy
    I've been on Detrol for many years from my urologist. Nothing the urologist did helped me. Menopause seemed to make it all worse. I get the Detrol Rx from my family doc now.

I have the same thing. I have to get up about every 2 hours during the night to use the bathroom. That is with taking Detrol 2 x a day. I don't notice how often I go during the day, but it seems as soon as I lay down in the evening to watch TV, I'm going every hour or so.

I also have diabetes now for 29 years, so don't know if it is the combo between diabetes, menopause, and FMS, or what. I just use the Poise pads and just try to deal with it.

I guess that is why I need about 12 to 14 hours of sleep a night.

I may be going often, but at least I don't have the horrible bladder spasms that I used to have. I'm not on any HRT anymore either.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

"Busy Bladder"...what a polite way to put it! I'd be calling it, 'Geez, I just laid down and I hafta get up and pee, AGAIN????"

I suffer, too, although mine is worse when I first go to bed, I might be up a couple of times before I fall asleep. Not so much in the early morning hours, though. Mine is peri-menopause related, I think, and also seems very common for a lot of fibromites.

Never have been tempted to go on the Detrol, don't like drug side effects if I don't have to have them, but it IS annoying. It's true that it interferes with sleep. I used to get a lot of recurring bladder infections years ago; I hardly ever get one now, but I often wonder if this isn't also a residual effect from those years of chronic infections.

I hope you get some answers; it definitely doesn't hurt to consult a urologist, even my gynocologist has a lot of newer testing (especially as women get to those menopausal years) to determine the source of bladder concerns.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam

8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I noticed it slowed down a bit when I stopped using acetaminaphen w/ my codeine for bit. I always assumed it was the codeine. It gets ridiculous when I'm menstruating, but usually lets me sleep the night. That's once I finally fall asleep that is.

Jeanne
  9. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Pam,

Glad you liked my title. I like to illiterate. I decided to use all initial consonant "b" words this time. I teach pre-K so initial consonants are a BIG part of my life!

I was wondering if my pre-menopausal or menopausal problems might be related to this frequent frenzy I have been dealing with.

I will check with my gyn when I have my check up.

Thank you all for your input.

Wishing you all a Happy Labor Day weekend and plesant dreams.

Hugs and smiles,
    Cindy
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Cindy, my IC started as you describe, with repeated urges to 'go' when lying down. Then it got so bad I was urinating up to 80 times a day, & never sleeping because of the irritation. It nearly drove me to suicide. I believe that it is part of the FMS/CFS condition. A biopsy revealed nothing.

The first thing I found was that the acidic slow release Ibuprofen tablets I'd taken for years were making it much worse.

I now drink only water & follow the strict low acid IC diet; no caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus, carbonated drinks, spices, sugar etc. I take a couple of Prerelief tablets with meals. I've found that porridge/oatmeal helps sooth my bladder.

I've started on Elmiron, which takes about 6 months to work, & is supposed to coat the bladder wall. I'm now on Vesicare, which isn't helping, but before that was on Detrusitol (UK name - it's Tolterdine L-Tartrate) which was helping but caused a very parched throat.

In order to get some sleep, I inject a syringe of Lignocaine local anaesthetic into my urethra each night - the stuff used by nurses before catheters are inserted.

Some people take half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in half a glass of water three times a day (not if you hane heart/blood pressue problems).

I've also started the Guai protocol, as Dr St Amand believes IC to be part of our condition' & therefore reversable.

Best wishes to you

11. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Thank you for all that information. Everyday is a new learning experience for me.

Last night, I was happy because I did not wake up as frequently as the previous night. Phew. I still woke up about 7 times. One of the things I have also noticed, and maybe you can relate to this too, is I do feel some kind of acid indigestion. So, if I am not up to urinate, I am up cause my belly doesn't feel right. I bought some rolaids, to help 'cause I didn't know what to do with this new problem, and they do seem to help.

I noticed you recommended staying away from acidic items. We grew tomatoes and cucumbers this year in our garden. The cucumbers have stopped growing and the tomatoes are also almost finished. I did have some tomatoes yesterday and maybe that is what woke me up.

I do drink a lot of water and seltzer. I don't drink diet soda, so I don't have to wean myself off of that.

Thanks again for your information, it helps me to make sense of what has been going on with my body.

If you can think of anything else that might be helpful or detrimental to this possible condition, I would appreciate the information.

Smiles for miles,
    Cindy
  12. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I think some people in America take something called 'Tums' - does that sound sensible? The Interstitial Cystitis Network board will help you properly.

Prerelief is a calcium tablet designed to alkalise what you eat; I also take one if I have a piece of fruit (but nothing too acidic, not citrus, rhubarb etc).

Mine's worse lying down for some strange reason, perhaps we're more aware of the pressure when trying to get to sleep & not doing everyday activities?
  13. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi again, Smiffy,

My mom, carries a bottle of tums with her, I think. I think Tums and Rolaids are probably pretty equivalent in nature. I just wanted to get something to try and help the acid indigestion I recently had begun feeling. It does get to me also while I am lying down.

Is the prerelief calcium tablet you take, over the counter? Do you think it is our version of Tums or Rolaids? Just curious.

Thanks again for all your information and advice.

Cindy
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Prerelief is not a prescription drug, but I don't know where you can buy it 'cos I have to import it from the US. There's a Prerelief advisor on the ICN forum. It's not for indigestion.

Some people have found a non-acidic form of aloe vera called Desert Harvest helpful. Again it's not available here & I hven't bothered to import it as I can't take herbs with the Guai.

Don't take cranberry juice!
  15. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Thank you again for your suggestions and information.

The worst problem I have sleeping is dealing with my sinuses. I use a variety of nasal sprays to clear my sinus passages. I go for allergy shots every 3 weeks for more than 16 years.

So even though, I have to go the bathroom frequently, if I just could find a decent way to breathe and wake up without a throbbing headache, I know I would be happier.

Do you have any good suggestions for chronic sinusitis?
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Why not start a new thread?
    Do you have an anti-allergy cover on your pillow?

I've heard some people on the Guai protocol say that it has the added bonus effect of clearing their sinuses, but have no more info than that.
  17. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

I was thinking of starting a new thread, when I wrote about my sinuses this morning.

Yes, I do have an anti-allergan pillow cover, mattress cover and a box spring cover on my bed.

I have read other posts and sinus problems seem to be another common complaint amongst FMS sufferers.