Busy Book for MIL with dementia??????? Help, not sure name of it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 18, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Does anyone know/remember what you call one of those books that has pages for toddlers to learn to tie shoelaces, button, zip, etc?

I am looking for this for my MIL who has dementia, she needs something to keep her hands busy, is usually fiddling with her clothing or whatever... I am hoping something like this would give her something to do that she can still manage.

I just can't remember what it is called. When I googled 'busy book toddlers' I didn't come up with anything like it... and I don't have the energy to make one even tho I know how to sew etc. or to go to numerous garage sales to find one. We did check ToysRUs but couldn't find one.

Anyone have any ideas???? Any and all are gratefully welcomed!

all the best,

2. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I know what you are talking about but I can't remember what it is called either. Have you tried asking on the Alzheimers message board?

Good luck,
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

nope I haven't, probablay should... and probably will.

I was just looking at stuff I have piled away, I could probably make one, but, the energy cost to me... seems easier to buy lol!

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Donnaeil, I googled it but couldn't really find anything, just 'preschool programs'? Not sure what I was doing wrong.

GeorgiaC - she used to be able to do those things, and can still fold dishcloths some days... but pretty steadily declining and most of the time has no memory retention. Basically she is classified in Stages 6--7 as she rarely makes any sense when she talks, and cannot understand much if anything.

She started ripping up old pictures of family/friends for no apparent reason, my guess is she just didn't recognize them as she often doesn't even know who we are; so I need to make copies of the special people in her life and childhood and seal them in plastic or something, because she does like looking at them when she can remember who they are.

I am thinking I might be able to just take some old clothing that has buttons and zippers and put something together that way... most of the time she is in a dreamworld it seems, but when she is a bit more alert/aware, she seems so bored usually.

She'd been such a capable person who took care of everyone else all her life, it is sad to see her end up this way.

Thanks for the suggestions...

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2006]
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

How about "My Quiet Book" by Pockets of Learning and I found it at Toysrus for $24.99. (online)

It has button a button, snap a snap and learn to tie a shoe.

I spent a few minutes researching and found this. (Hopefully this will be a little help for you, you've helped me so much with your Lyme research and funny jokes)

I don't know much about dementia so I might not be able to help you there, but years ago when my Mom had her heart valve surgery, she came out of the surgery fidgeting with her hands.

Since I'm ADHD and thought she may be too, since she was always 'worrying' her sheets, grabbing them and again 'fidgeting' for lack of a better word...I bought her the cutest, softest little stuffed dog and named him "fidget" for her.

Since she wasn't able to physically work off that little bit of (nervous?) energy, she did keep 'fidget' beside her and just used him like I thought she would. I think it helped her, but of course could be wrong.

Nancy B
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2006]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness...

I looked at the website by the company and wrote to them to find out the dimensions of the book. It may be too simple in appearance, but maybe not. These are things that are difficult to predict and indeed can vary from even day to day.

The stuffed dog might work, but I would need to find a breed I think she has had... ie, she loves to watch movies for instance with golden retrievers in it because they once had one. Now, if I could find a Boston Bull Terrier in particular, lol, it would be great. I'll have to do an online search, shouldn't be too hard.

Dementia is difficult, is all I can say...

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your doing this... I just couldn't come up with anything no matter what terms I googled!

all the best,