Butt and Leg Pain (PLEASE READ) Dedicated to KingNeptune

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 29, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

i'll try to be as concise as possible here, but my learning curve has been huge the last couple weeks and i want to share a few things with you that might prove helpful for those with butt and leg pain, especially those with tailbone injuries in their background, which seems to be a lot of us.

i took a hard spill on my tailbone feb. 04, my butt was bruised for a few days and i never thought anything else of it. in sept. 04, i started experiencing muscle pain in my back, glutes (butt muscles) and legs. when i explained this muscle pain to doctors - "my muscles feel tight and over-exercised even though i haven't been using them" - i was typically ordered to stretch and/or exercise. this never helped, in fact, i felt worse. i saw a chiropractor briefly who made me feel better but never explained what she was doing or why she was doing it. after our initial visits, i never followed up (big mistake). x-rays of my butt and thighs after a visit to a rheumy in feb. 05 showed no fractures or anything abnormal. i was given muscle relaxers and told to swim?!

fast forward to the present:

i'm seeing a new chiropractor (on the advice of our board mate kingneptune) who has taken the time to educate me to what is happening with my body. if the base of your spine is not seated firmly in the sacroiliac joint where it's supposed to be, you can develop pain syndromes of the highest order. this pain goes above and beyond the typical "fibro" pain, and you do not have to live with it.

SCENARIO: imagine the base of your spine sitting just outside where it's supposed to be (extremely common if you bang your tailbone). now one leg is slightly shorter than the other and you're carrying 12-15 pounds of extra weight on one side. over time, say 4 to 6 months, you will begin to feel this imbalance in your muscles which are being pulled and stretched in all kinds of irregular ways. you can expect trigger points to start popping up, referred pain patterns emerge and before you know it, you can't walk without terrible pain. this is not fibromyalgia. this is a simple spinal imbalance that no doctor ever bothered to suggest might be the source of your problem. and stretching and exercise will not help UNTIL your spine sits comfortably in its rightful home.

this is the mistake i made with the first chiropractor i saw. spinal adjustments mean nothing if you don't have a follow-up plan to rehabilitate your poor muscles. my new chiro actually has muscle machines in his office for light physical therapy to retrain the muscles once the pain cycle is broken.

conversely, trigger point therapy (massage and injections) means nothing if your spine is not set properly. it might relieve the pain temporarily, but you will never be free of the trigger points until your spinal imbalances are corrected.

i hope i haven't been long-winded here, but i strongly urge anyone with muscle pain that resembles what i've described above, to find a good chiropractor. that over-exercised feeling in your muscles is not fibro. i believe this is the reason why we all meet people who work full-time with fibro and act like it's no big deal, while others struggle just to walk down the block. fibromyalgia is real and i'm not discounting the pain associated with it, but it's important that we learn how much of the pain is within our realm of control, and how much is not.

happy new year to all,
    eddie
  2. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I appreciate your explanation of what's going on with you. I am in a similar boat. I just started PT for the butt pain and leg etc. I've had trouble with my hip and shoulders for years since an auto accident 15 yrs ago and chalked it up to fibro since a dx of overall pain. I will share your explanation to my PT and see if they can help get it fixed. I do have one leg shorter one chiro said but I thought it was common. I had ultrasound wed and it left me sore for some reason. also trigger pt pressure on the glutes.

Thanks again
    Carolyn in Ill
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

1% of the population has an anatomical short leg, meaning they're born with it. 14% have a functional short leg, meaning something's out of wack causing one leg to be shorter than the other. so it's true that it is fairly common. the difference in length(s) may account for why some people develop pain syndromes and others don't. i'm sure there are other scenarios as well that can cause this type of muscle imbalance and pain cycle; the sacroiliac joint / short leg connection is just one of them.

eddie
  4. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I actually went to PT and found out that one of my legs (i think left) gets out of wack and ends up longer than right. I know a stretch or two to put it back or try at least. Once I do that over and over the pain ends up getting a bit better. It never goes away as my ciatic is constant due to a herniated disc that is slipped as well at my L5/S4. Add my FMS on that and Wammo you have pain pain pain all day every day.

I can tell when my leg is wrong though just like you said. It's funny when I was reading your post I totally knew what you were talking about. My butt and legs hurt quite a bit. Hips too. I stretch them out. Feels like someone beat me w/a base ball bat.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.
    Shawn
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'll have to learn that stretch to get my legs evened out because it seems the cycle will continue to repeat if that gets out of wack and i don't happen to have access to an chiropractor. i assume the more muscle rehabilitation and balancing you do, the less likely your spine will pop out of place, so i'm going to listen very closely when we get to that phase.

eddie
  6. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

Glad to hear you are doing better, sometimes its hard to find the right chiropractor (or doctor), and often people just give up if they have had a bad experience.......You are so right with your posts on "balancing the pelvis" and leg length deficiecies.......Its very important to balance your spine and to allow the nerves to work correctly, not to mention the soft tissues.....A fall on the tail-bone can be very painful and very serious, due to the "conglomerate" of nerves at the base of the spine......(cauda equina)........In fact, there has been research done that shows many MS patients suffered a "bruised tailbone" injury, before their symptoms progressed, due to the pressure on the nerves.......

As far as the Fibro or CFS symptoms, they will usually show the 18 or so trigger points, as compared to just lower back or leg pain.......but obviously, these can over-lap, which only confuses the situation......Once again, I am so glad you are doing better.......If I helped in any way, its my pleasure.........JOHN

PS......If you really want to maintain a healthy spine, I strongly recommend doing some yoga.......Even if you only do 5 or 6 different poses, it will help your back immensely......In fact, if everyone did yoga, it would put all of us Chiropractors out of business......LOL
  7. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member