Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 20, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Buy Nothing Day is meant to replace the 'holiday' after Thanksgiving, "Black Friday"... altho I'm sure store owners wouldn't be happy about it. I don't mean to offend anyone who depends on it, but, things are changing slowly but surely.

Somehow I think a lot of us will be doing this one way or another on our own anyway...

Here are some ideas put forth by Adbusters to help change our "Holiday" traditions...

Volunteers stand in a shopping mall with a pair of scissors and a sign offering a simple service: to put an end to extortionate interest rates and mounting debt with one considerate cut. Be careful though: in some first-world countries, carrying scissors in public can get you arrested as a “terrorist”.

The cheerful dead (that's us, right?) wander around malls (or we could use the motorized carts!), marveling at the blank, comatose expressions on the faces of shoppers. The zombies are happy to be among their own kind, but slightly contemptuous of those who have not yet begun to rot.

This activity has the advantage of being most likely to piss off security personnel. You and nine of your closest friends silently drive your mobile shopping carts around in a long, inexplicable conga line without ever actually buying anything.

And, here are the three degrees of "Buy Nothing Christmas" to aspire to, one by one –

Novice: Rise Above It. Start with yourself. Forget the heaps of presents: eat, drink and cheerfully excuse yourself from the annual festival of avarice. Limit your giving to hugs and belly laughs. Then let everyone know that you mean business by giving (downloading or making your own) “Holiday Gift-Exemption Vouchers” – just one way of saying that you care enough to let your loved ones off the gift-giving hook.

Keep it in the family. This year, why not gather together your friends, family and classmates to challenge them to do things differently? ...if a Buy Nothing Christmas is too extreme for grandma and the kids, maybe try a Buy Less Christmas. Or a $100 Christmas. Or a Regifting Christmas. Or a Green Christmas. Or a Slow-Down Christmas. Whatever you decide, ’tis the season to reclaim our celebration from the grip of commercial forces.

Take it to the streets. Spread both joy and sane holiday alternatives by taking Buy Nothing Christmas to your local malls and commercial districts. Gather together a group of meditating Santas – “Zenta Clauses” – to offer stressed-out shoppers free soup, coffee, a place to rest their feet and (most importantly) a few friendly tips for gearing down over the holidays.

This idea actually started in 1992. Coming from a family that always made a big deal out of all the Christmas traditions (altho at least inexpensive gifts were the rule), it seems almost heretical to me (altho I always did my shopping before Thanksgiving) ... but I've found that as I've done away with many 'things', it all has become more enjoyable/restful.

I guess the only ones I'll still want to give one or 2 gifts to are little kids and the elderly who cannot get out!

2. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I am tired of these commercials that show a car or a diamond necklace as the gift to show you care. Last year we stopped exchanging gifts with our adult children. We buy for our in-laws and my mother and our grandkids. We give an anonymous gift to a person in our church and also to charity. We are all blessed already. Godbless
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just saw an ad by Kohls that they will open at 4 AM the day after Thanksgiving...how ridiculous. I have boycotted the day after for years.

Our giving is much decreased as most of our family doesn't need anything and what they want is too expensive. Our two small grandchildren are fun, but the older ones have everything they want or need...sooooo

Interesting idea. Stop buying!

4. tansy

tansy New Member

For many years it has never ceased to amaze how stressed people become over the high cost of Christmas; it does not need to be this way. I guess one upside of the credit crunch is that it might enable shopaholics to find alternative actitivities and a happier life.

tc, Tansy
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was shocked to learn that out of the many malls near us that one was opening at midnight after the turkey feast to get a "jump" on the Black Friday shoppers. This was the first time ever a mall had done this in our area. We'll see if it is profitable, but I'm staying home.

For the past few years I have made arrangements to exchange no presents and we only exchange cards. Of course my two cats will get some toys as they always do, but that's it. The money goes to medical bills and necessities. And this year other people are now doing as I do.
  6. jole

jole Member

We too have cut 'way back. Our gifts consist of:
    One small gift for each grandchild
    Prepared meals twice a month for mother in law

For our children/grandchildren, we get together in the summer for a weekend get-away to the lake. Everyone sleeps in tents, with the exception of one camper for cooking. We furnish all the food and that is our gift to them. It gives us all one more opportunity to get together, and keeps Christmas as a spiritual day.

Plus, we also cannot afford it with being on medicare now. The kids would rather have the summer weekend anyway...it's outdoors, lots of games, swimming, relaxing, and best of all, no dusting furniture...LOL
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

and even before Thanksgiving, I read there were stores having official "Pre-Black Friday Sales"...

I guess if there's something one's really wanting and saved for, it may be worth it, but can't think of anything I'd want that badly, personally.
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I heard on TV about the Black Friday Walmart that was opening extra early and the waiting shoppers pushed the locked doors in and trampled to death the employee, hurt the pregnant woman so she was getting medical care and hurt others in the stampede--then it's gone too far. That was absolutely crazy.
  9. bohemia

bohemia New Member

from may 2008 till october 2008 i bought nothing,

i closed & cut up my 3 credit cards, paid two, still owe one,

saved $4,000,

& my anxiety & depression disappear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feel so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

want to save, dont shop! only paid your bills & buy what you NEED!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

Even if you can't buy gifts , a person can still give one or more. In my case , it is thoughtful consideration. One of the symptoms of my illnesses is "noticeable" flatulence. So this year my gifts to wife are : When we are in a store and buying only what we NEED , I wave her to walk in front of me when the pressure rises. We exit that aisle quickly once the pressure exits.

At home , I try to get outside when the urge attacks me.

Life's simple pleasures are still the best ! :>) HO HO HO !

Blessings ,