BxGirl and The Jury Duty......what a day I had!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. BxGirl

    BxGirl New Member

    I was called for jury duty and today was the day. I got up early to go all the way to the other side of my county to the courthouse.

    I did not want to serve. First of all, I fall asleep when I'm bored. I can't focus all the time on what people are saying. I get stiff and sore sitting for long periods of time without being able to get up.

    So, I get to the room with all the other potential jurors and we have to watch a video 3 times!!!! Then we all went with the Bailiff into the courtroom.

    I was "Number 7" and sat directly across from the judge. The defendant and his attorney were to our left, and the plaintiffs and their attorney on our right. There were 12 of us, and about 8 extras sitting in the back.

    The judge told us a little about what would happen. The plaintiff's attorney then spent about an hour asking us a lot of questions. Then we had a break, after which the defendant's attorney asked us questions.

    One of the questions they asked was if any of us had a medical problem that would make them not able to serve. I told them I had possible narcolepsy and fall asleep, and fibromyalgia and can't focus on things sometimes.

    I was very outspoken when they asked me questions.

    The case was about a car accident, so I told the attorney that 20 years ago I had hit a cow on the highway. They were all amused and must have thought I was crazy!

    I didn't want to serve because tomorrow if my first appt. with my new psychiatrist. I got really worried because they said the trial would go into tomorrow. I didn't want to lose my appointment date!!!!

    At the end the two attorneys spoke with the judge and told them who they did NOT want on the jury. I was one of them. I wouldn't mind serving, but I wanted to go back to work and really, I can't do it physically. Wouldn't it have been awful if I fell asleep right in front of the judge????

  2. badangel3

    badangel3 New Member

    and things worked out I your favor. Jury duty can make for a very long day; I get called every year. Last year it was for a murder trial and I was there for two days before I was let off the case. J.
  3. BxGirl

    BxGirl New Member

    I really, really don't see how I could have sat there for hours. After 3 hours my hips and legs hurt so bad. And my neck started to get that tingly feeling, where I have the DDD. No, I did not want to be there.

    Now I have to figure out a way to get off of work to go to the doctor. I've been taking a lot of long lunch hours lately.

  4. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    I couldn't do it either because I would have to use the bathroom too often. Plus I wouldn't be able to focus if I had to get up early for that.

    I have been asked about 2 to 3 times years ago (prior to FM) and got notes from the doctor about having diabetes and needing to take insulin and meds at certain times.

    I'm glad you didn't have to serve. Good story about hitting the cow. lol I ran over a snake accidently once. Felt really bad about that, but it was hard to tell that from a stick on the road until I got right up on it.

  5. TXFMmom

    TXFMmom New Member

    I was called for jury duty twice, was there from 7:30 in the morning until 7:00 at night just for voir dire.

    I had been mugged once, sexually assaulted once, in a serious automobile accident once, and was a medical professional. They didn't get back to me before having 12 and 2 alternates, but they woulnd't have picked me. No Way.

    Then, I was called for another case. Ditto for 7:30 in the morning. The Bailiff pulled the group together, and proceeded to take us down three flights of steps, up two flights, and out into the street, walking fast, in 98 degree heat in Houston in the summer. I had to yell at him to stop walking so fast. I walked with a cane then, but owuld have to use a scooter now. He walked us three blocks through the seediest area of town, with panhandlers accosting us, drunks passed out on the street, and nearly got us run down by just walking out into the street (jaywalking) and threw us his hands. By the time the stragglers, including me, got into the street, one car gunned its' motor and went right through the line, with two jurors having to jump and lunge to get out of the way.

    Then, he got us in a group and told us we were going up the stairs to the 4th floor and we had to all stay together. I told him flat strongly that I was disabled and couldn't do it. He then permitted me and two elderly potential jurors to take the elevator.

    We sat in the hallway until 12:00, then were questioned for half an hour, dismissed and told to go eat and be back in an hour and fifteen minutes, and we were supposed to go back out into the street into that heat and try to find some place to eat. I ate a protein bar and had some juice out of a machine.

    Then, we came back in, sat for an hour and a half, adn then the judge came back in, and told us that he was dismissing us because the defendant, who had a buzz haircut, and tattooes all over half of his face, his head, his arms, and his hands, which were visible and had to have an interpretor in the thing with his wearing earphones, had exercised a TECHNICALITY, to get the judge, who was a visting judge disqualified. They had used up THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND ALL OUR TIME AND PUT US ALL THORUGH THIS, AND THE ATTORNEY AND HIS CLIENT USED A TECHNICALITY TO GET IT ALL DONE OVER.

    The judge asked up if we had any questions, and I am sure he regretted it. I lit in to him, as did four other jurors, and told the defense attorney, the defendant, and by that time we would have convicted him of anything, just what we thought of him. They had known for over three weeks that this judge was scheduled to hear the case and had let it go this far before challenging it.

    the next time they sent me a summons, I sent them a copy of my SSD letter, with things cut out, such as my social, etc. and told them I wasn't capable of it.

    there is no way someone with FM can sit that long, and pay attention, and not have pain and suffer when one tries to get up.

    My husband has been selected for several juries, including one which was a murder case. The trial went on for a week, despite the fact that the guy had stabbed a poor woman seventeen times, had been tackled and restrained by several witnesses, was covered witht he woman's blood, and kept telling the police, as they drug him away that he was glas the B**** was dead.

    Then, he, at 6'2" and 200 pounds claimed self defense when the woman was 5'2" and 112 pounds. The guy had four children but couldn't remember their names, birthdates, and didn't even know where they were.

    He had never worked at a job which was reported to social security, and he was 32 years old.

    My husband sat there for a whole week, it cost him $15.00 more than the $8.00 a day he was paid to park, and he never got home before 7:30 p.m. The only thing he had to say about it was that the Bailiff had taken them to some really nice places to eat, some of which he wouldn't have tried, had the bailiff not selected them. He also said that the food was obviously the draw for the bailiff, because he looked to be about 50 pounds overweight.
  6. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    If you have a letter from your doc or, in my case, the letter from SS that I am disabled, they will remove your name from the jury pool.

    I would make an excellent juror but not when I'm in pain from sitting all day and so tired I cannot stay awake or understand what is being presented.

    Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]