Bye-bye, fiberbed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

After weighing the pros and cons of featherbeds and fiberbeds (like a featherbed, only with ultra-loft fiberfill instead of feathers), I bought a fiberbed recently. I hoped it would cushion my hip, which wakes me up with pain every morning, and generally provide a softer surface for the rest of my aches.

First of all, it was <u>hot</u>. When you get in bed, the cushy surface partially enfolds your limbs, etc. This might be an advantage in winter, but during our heatwave it was not pleasant. The other problem was that because it is constructed with channels, and it's so thick and springy, I felt as though I kept rolling off the high parts and falling into the deep seams. It almost felt as though the fiberbed created its own movement, like a waterbed. It didn't do a thing for my hip, and it made my lower back worse. (My chiropractor was not surprised.)

The best part was the way the fiberbed felt on my legs and feet. But that wasn't enough to counteract the negatives. So off the bed it came....much to my granddaughter's disappointment. :)

Suze

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2002]
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

After weighing the pros and cons of featherbeds and fiberbeds (like a featherbed, only with ultra-loft fiberfill instead of feathers), I bought a fiberbed recently. I hoped it would cushion my hip, which wakes me up with pain every morning, and generally provide a softer surface for the rest of my aches.

First of all, it was <u>hot</u>. When you get in bed, the cushy surface partially enfolds your limbs, etc. This might be an advantage in winter, but during our heatwave it was not pleasant. The other problem was that because it is constructed with channels, and it's so thick and springy, I felt as though I kept rolling off the high parts and falling into the deep seams. It almost felt as though the fiberbed created its own movement, like a waterbed. It didn't do a thing for my hip, and it made my lower back worse. (My chiropractor was not surprised.)

The best part was the way the fiberbed felt on my legs and feet. But that wasn't enough to counteract the negatives. So off the bed it came....much to my granddaughter's disappointment. :)

Suze

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2002]
  3. selma

selma New Member

Thanks for the info.
    what are you using now??
  4. ggks

ggks New Member

We have a memory foam mattress. It works great. Cool in summer, warm in winter and supports my body just right. ggks
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I like a HARD bed. As hard as I can get it. A very thin, hard mattress on a platform is my favorite. Unfortunately, I have a husband who insisted on the foam mattress when we went to buy a new one. I never had lower back pain before we got the foam. Within a couple of weeks of starting to sleep on the foam, it had gotten so bad that I threw my back out and had to hobble in to my Rheumy for a cortisone shot. My husband put a sheet of plywood under my side and that helps a lot, but I still have some low back pain. I see seperate beds in our future!
    Klutzo
  6. Suze

Suze New Member

I'm back to sleeping on a regular old innerspring mattress now, with a good quality egg crate pad on top.

Can someone explain memory foam to me?

Klutzo, you were obviously a prisoner in another life. lol

Suze
  7. metoo110

metoo110 New Member

what i know of memory foam is it was originally made for astronuts to use when they went thru g-forces... cushioning them.

it is not usually the whole bed but 2" to 4" on top, or layered between other foams. it's body heat sensitive, and molds to your body. you can purchase a memory foam topper to go between your mattress and fitted sheet.

i thought i was going to buy an air bed with memory foam. i was in the market for one, but ended up with a latex foam mattress. you can see my post for "my new bed" if your interested. hope this helps.

wishing you a good night sleep
    donna
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2002]
  8. SAS

SAS New Member

I recently visited a dear friend in Ky. who coincedently, also suffers from FMS. She has found a product that she let me try out. I was very pleasantly surprised. I also have very bad foot pain and tried something for that. I know we cannot "advertise" on this site, and I appreciate that. Just want to let you know that I found something helpful.

Don't know if I can do this moderators, (please just delete this part if I am off base), my e-mail is Szepelak2@msn.com
    Shirley