C F and Monosodium Glutamate and emergency room.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarflady, Nov 17, 2005.

1. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Scary night in ER.....

While making egg drop soup last night I added 1/2 tsp MS and then tasted the soup. In a matter of seconds my face and neck felt really hot and I went to look in a mirror and saw the rest of my body start to turn beet red. I started to loose my voice and called my son and went to emergency in my nearest hospital.....They immediately started IV's and whatever....I don't remember too much and could hardly talk at the time. My vocal cords were not working normally.

I have never has a problem with MS before and wonder if there is a connection with CF and poor immune system.

I thought I should this message as a possible warning.
  2. ladude

ladude New Member

Wow, it really messed you up!

MSG is deffinitly a no no for CFS'ers, some more so than others. No one should eat it, even "healthy" people should avoid it if they know what is good for them.

I just go into a total CFS crash for days or weeks and am totally out of it physically. But not as bad as you did.

Severity depends on how much I consume. Small amounts only knock me out for a few hours... Now I am VERY VERY careful

There have been some good posts here on the topic.

Hope you've recovered!

LAdude
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  3. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

This may be a dumb ? but is that the same thing they use on foods for salad bars to stay fresh? Everytime I eat from them or use pre-cut, pre-washed greens from the store for salads, I get awful cramps and diarrhea.
    Hope you are feeling much better.
    Stinker56
  4. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Thanks for your response Hospital instructions say Acute Allergic Reaction. Really weird since I will be 75 in April and have never had a problem before. You are right about MG being in everything. It's going to be hard since a lot of product hide the fact and call MG something else on labels. I understand now you can no longer sue even if it is false advertising....and they call it something else. I now have to avoid aspirin, narcotics and alcohol. Not a problem....will miss a beer once in a while.....
    My throat still feels funny and I still have a light facial flush. My throat still doesn't feel right guess it will take time.....I had tea and toast today but didn't find anything on the labels that could cause a problem.

Scarflady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

An epi-pen would definitely be in order, along w/ keeping some quick acting antihistamine on hand, that may save your life too.

I've had to avoid it like the black plague it is for many years, which means avoiding most processed foods as a given. I can't believe the chinese culture uses it like we use salt. You'll have to do some research as to what are the most common culprits. Some hidden culprits to watch for where they don't list it, but I've learned the hard way are anything w/ beef or chicken stock/boullion and soy sauce.

Jeanne
  6. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Hi Stinker

Yes they do use the stuff on salad bars or at least they use to to keep everything fresh.
    Don't know about the prepackage greens in plastic bags.

Scarflady
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am also allegic to that darn stuff, I have been reading lables now for 20 years not to get sick. Its sad, as the stuff has no food value, but does enhance the flavor of foods, say chicken soup for example, Campbell's can add MSG and save millions on how much chicken they put in their soup.

Do be careful, you had a really bad reaction. Read lables, if something is in the food and you are not sure of what it really is, look it up on the net. They do lie like heck with it on foods.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm just reading your post again, and it occurs to me: you were darn lucky. On the one hand, yes it sucks to have this allergy. But though it seems really inconvenient when you have to first get used to it, I'm sure many will agree, it does force you to eat healthier. MSG is largely in crap foods anyway, like chips, snacks and fake sauces and dehydrated stuff.

But the really lucky part is, the reaction was so obviously tied to what you'd just added to your food. There are so many other things you could have just eaten w/ MSG, and you could have died while attempting the detective work trying to figure out what you reacted to.

My reactions aren't as potentially lethal, but boy did I suffer for years before I found out. but that's usually the way, doctors don't take us seriously until we are half dead.

Jeanne
  9. JimB

JimB New Member

the way they hide things in their "Ingredience Labels".

The last I heard, there are at least 5-10 ingredience that are simply labled - "natural flavorings"?
    Sounds harmless right? Wrong.
    One of them is MSG.

That is Deliberate DISINFORMATION!

Makes me wonder what they hide
    behind "Artificial flavorings".(??)
    Jim
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Was the soup deluded with water yet,
    or still like a syrup base? (very potent).
    --- I would do a SEARCH for MSG side effects or overdose or whatever.

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2005]
  10. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

scarflady - I'm so glad you had your son there to help you get prompt medical attention. I hope you are feeling better today :). Thank you for reminding us about MSG. I know from experience that I must avoid MSG to avoid headaches, migraines and irritability.

jimb - I agree that it is criminal allowing companies to hide anything they want to under the label natural flavorings. And "natural" makes these additives sound healthy but usually they are not.

These un-natural flavorings can include anything derived from a "natural" source -- including animals -- making many products suprisingly un-vegetarian. People with allergies or who have strict religious food guidelines can also be affected by the hidden ingredients under the label "natural flavorings."

I have actually called a national food company who would not reveal if their "natural" flavoring in a specific product was animal-based -- because they considered that "proprietary information." Apparently, they felt consumers had no right to know what they were hiding in their product.

I really think our society wants to know EVERYTHING about what's in a product. I find I buy more products from companies that are open and honest in their labeling than from companies that tried to hide things under vague labels.

Watch out for Frito-Lay products! Most of their snack foods are laced with MSG. MSG is never good for children and can contribute to behavorial problems.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Sorry to hear about your scary episode!

I can't eat anything with MSG! I don't have an allergic reaction, but the next day I wake up feeling totally awful and usually end up in bed all day

MSG is in so much, I didn't realize. I didn't know it was in hotdogs and Chicken Broth

Also, a friend of mine is Chinese says even if you ask for no MSG in a Chinese Restaurant, some of the food is already prepared, so you will still get it

Some salad dressings (like some Ranch) have MSG. Also alot of dips like nacho dip and french onion dip have it

It pays to read the lables

I know if I eat MSG, I WILL feel awful. It took me a long time to figure this out!
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

the "healthy" drink has aspartic acid in it, which is part of the make up of aspartame....bad stuff.
  13. libra55

libra55 New Member

I can tell when my kids (especially the autistic child) have eaten Fritos at school. The older one has a thousand mile stare (like a fugue state) and the younger one is just plain off the wall behavior wise.

Everytime I eat any thing with MSG in it I get a killer headache.

Michelle
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

It's most any brand of flavoured chips. Learned that years ago that flavoured chips are out for me.

Jeanne
  15. georgi

georgi New Member

that it is very important also to watch what restaurants you eat at, not only Chinese. I have the reaction of heart palpitations, racing heart, dizziness, tunnel vision, numbness in face and extremities, faintness, and other such symptoms when eating MSG. It is VERY frightening, and I feel for what you went through with the soup.

But anyway, I have found out the hard way about restaurants, and started inquiring on the phone before I go to a place if there is any MSG in their food. Usually, they don't know; but if you tell them it can kill you, they will do what they can to find out.

I don't know what is in your area, but I called MARIE CALLENDER'S and they said it is in everything there. I also had a really bad reaction from eating a Marie Callender's TV dinner. (All TV dinners except from maybe stuff from health food stores is loaded with it.)

I ate at SONIC and had a reaction, not thinking to ask first. Anything with a SALAD BAR or BUFFET. MAZZIO'S uses it. SUBWAY I Think said they use it.

I haven't had any problem with a local Thai restaurant, and they post on their window no MSG used. If you crave Oriental food, try Thai, they are usually better about refraining from MSG from what I've seen around here anyway. (Tulsa).

Curious, why do you have to abstain from aspirin, narcotics, and alcohol now? Does it have something to do with the MSG reaction? Is the chemical make-up similar or something?

Well I hope this helps you some. You cannot afford to not know about any possible culprits out there with your newfound allergy to MSG. It's a shame it's so prevalent, I know what a drag it is to have to constantly monitor every bite you eat.

Best-

Georgi :)
  16. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Jeanne and Vielke, Epi-pen sounds like a good idea! Checked the Price on the INTERNET and they run $80.00 to $100.00. Doctor at the hospital said to carry Benadryl.
    Jim, yes the soup was deluded with water and egg. Elastigirl, thanks for the info on Frito Lay. Wonder if I can make my own chips from Tortillas??? Will have to see what is in tortillas. Empower, I plan on taking a magnifying glass when shopping to read those tiny labels. Alaska, Your right on..Aspartame in pop can give the same allergic reaction. Georgi, Good idea to call restaurants and find out if all the food is prepared there and if they use MSG. Thanks for the info on Thai...I really prefer it to Chinese. Aspirin was a different health problem. I was kidding about the beer and narcotics.
    Everyone.....I emailed a site for information on products containing MSG and he sent two sites that were very informative.......
    I wish I could give the email address because the sites were very excellent.....One site mentions Yeast extract and Yeast food always contains MSG. Also Gelatin and any protein that is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed corn gluten, Textured protein and so on...Many products create MSG during processing.....Whey protein may contain MSG or create MSG during processing. I have been using Whey Protein and wonder if this was my trigger???? Please Goggle MSG or Monosodium Glutamate and read all you can on this terrible problem.

Scarflady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2005]
  17. scarflady

scarflady New Member

MSG is not the same as table salt.... MSG was discoved in Japan as a flavor enhancer from seaweed. It is now chemically produced. Lots of information on Google......If you are allergic to it can cause death....

Scarflady
  18. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

Thanks, Scarflady for filling us in on your ordeal. I wish that you hadn't had to go through that horrible experience. I have to be careful, because I am allergic to it as well. I get exhausted and run a fever of about 102 degrees if I am not careful about what I eat.

I am also highly allergic Red Dye # 40... and believe me, it is in almost EVERYTHING. I get about the same reaction, but also a rash and my hands swell to about twice their size. I am so careful about reading labels... Can't have alot of things that are colored or flavored artificially, even Twinkies have Red Dye # 40... It is ridiculous! Had to give up my beloved Twizzlers and other candies...

Ah well, it is for the best I guess... Hope that you are on the road to recovery.