C Reactive protein and Trazodone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chris3251, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

The 2 aren't related, I just didn't want to make 2 posts.

Has anyone heard of CRP? From what little I gather, I guess it indicates inflammation? Normal limit is up to 3.00 and mine was over 15.

I also started the Trazodone for sleep last night, I was taking Valium for sleep and anxiety but my rhemy didn't like that I was taking it, plus it didn't do anything for the insomnia anyway. Is anyone else taking it? I took it and for a couple hours I'm still sitting up thinking oh great, another waste then BAM it hit me SO HARD I could barely get to the bathroom before I went to bed. I was actually holding on to anything I could grab to in order to get to the bathroom then to my bed. I slept all night and I was out cold until almost 12:30 this afternoon. The only problem is I slept so hard I don't think I moved all night and just trying to get out of bed was an absolute nightmare I was hurting SO bad and I mean everywhere! Add the OA to it and yeah, tons of fun. NOT!

I just can't seem to win for losing, I finally get some sleep and I can't even move the next day. I have to go back to work Monday, I cant afford to stay off at 60% of my salary and I need to find a happy medium QUICK. Surely there's a method to the madness??
  2. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I have been taking the trazadone for the last couple of years. The first few times it really hit hard and then it settled down some. I was still drowsy but not incapacitated.

Perhaps if you still get the same reaction you could cut the tablet in half. I am prescribed 3/ 50 mg tablets but I usually stick to two of them because it seems to be enough.

Who would have thought getting a good night sleep would be so difficult?

best wishes, nanny
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I've been taking trazodone for years. I find the dose is critical. If I don't take one 50 mg tablet, I can't sleep. If I take two, I can't sleep.

It isn't a foolproof sleep aid by any means, I often don't sleep well even with it, but it helps.
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

When I started on Traz I had to take 1/4 tablet (12.5mg)or I couldn't funtion. As the effect seemed to lessen I increased by a 1/4 until I was up to a whole 50mg.

From the CDC website:

"Many CFS patients are sensitive to medications, particularly sedating medications. Therapeutic benefits can often be achieved at lower than normal dosages, so try prescribing a fraction of the usual recommended dose to start and gradually increase as necessary and as tolerated. All medications can cause side effects, which may lead to new symptoms or exacerbate existing symptoms, so it is important to routinely monitor all prescription drugs, OTC therapies and supplements the patient is taking."

Good luck,

Shar
  5. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

I had no idea you weren't supposed to stay up after you take it. I've been staying up until it hits me, figuring I can't sleep so why toss & turn in bed. The same thing happened last night as far as how it hit me, to the point of oversleeping by almost an hour this morning! I get up at 6am to get my daughter up for school and since I've been out sick I go back to bed. Because I got up so late, she would have missed the bus if she had to walk, so we had to rush & let the truck warm up while getting ready but it's only 12 degrees out so it was still freezing when we left and I was actually afraid to drive to the bus stop because I'm in such a fog. Then hitting that cold air and shivering didn't help.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to cut the dose in half until I'm used to that then bump it up. I don't know if this stuff is considered powerful but it sure has given me a 1-2 punch!

Thanks for the advice ladies!

{{{Take care of you}}}
  6. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Chris, I'm just sitting here amazed. I had just finished posting to you in another thread about my own C-Reactive Protein being elevated. This is what my rheumy reacted to as confirmation for Sjogren's, even though my actual Sjogren's test came back negative. And yours was SO HIGH! Sorry, didn't mean to shout.

But here you have the parotid gland problems and now this. How are your eyes and mouth? Have you noticed more dryness and changes there? More dental decay or sores in your mouth, splitting in the corners of your lips?

I don't know what to say anymore except that with your CRP this high, if that rheumy does not at least explore the possibility of Sjogren's, please get another doctor. And please have your eyes checked out because there are tests that opthamologists can do for this as well. Sjogren's can really do a number on the eyes if not treated, so please take care.

I seem to be writing so much and please don't feel that I am wishing Sjogren's on you or anyone else. You just sound so much like me right now it blows my mind!
  7. koala_kristy

koala_kristy New Member

You may want to eat something small or drink some milk when you take your trazadone. I have noticed that sometimes I have a severe drowsy reaction that will hit suddenly when I have an empty stomach. My prescription bottle says to take with food.

Good luck to you
    Kristina
  8. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

My rheumy said my CRP was high, and I have a copy of the lab report, but she said since the Sjogrens came back negative, she wasn't concerned. I'm assuming a high CRP can be indicative of Sjogrens? I figured 15 when the normal high of 3 sounded awfully high but when the dr. said she wasn't concerned I wasn't either. I just didn't know what it even meant.

The antibiotics have finally taken down quite a bit of the parotid swelling but there is still a spot that is still swollen with a partial numbness going down the jawline not quite to the chin.

I got my eyes checked over a year ago and my prescription had changed to the point of needing progressive lenses. I've noticed over the past 4-5 months that my vision has changed again because things at a distance alot blurrier again. I can't say I've noticed a dry mouth, but this week I did develop big time dryness and almost a splitting at the corners of my mouth which has never happened before. I'm not scheduled to see her again unless something comes up since I'll probably be moving back to IL in mid Jan. I'm going to call the rheumy in IL to make an appt. My niece checked and he does treat FM/CFS. I'm also going to ask about Sjogrens.

Not to worry Lurker, you're not talking too much nor am I taking offense. I need all the information I can get my hands on because I have no idea what I'm dealing with. Thanks for your help!!
  9. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

I'm still having a rough time with the Trazodone. I think I'm gonna have to cut the dose in half until I get used to it. For the 3rd morning straight I was unable to wake up to the alarm clock. And again I must not have moved all night but this morning was WAY worse than the previous 2 mornings. I couldn't even roll over I was in SO much pain!! Not to mention that my feet are swelling terribly again, even in the mornings after being off them all night. I actually had to yell for my daughter to help me out of bed, (talk about humiliating!) I could barely walk at all to get to the bathroom, then I had an awful time getting out of it. My back is absolutely KILLING me today so I'm using a massaging seat cushion that massages the back and shoulders. My daughter got it for me last year for Christmas and I almost forgot I even had it. Not that its done me a whole lot of good today but its better than nothing at all.
  10. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Trazadone is a very effective sleep aid, but the dosage is critical. Not everyone responds the same way to the same dosage. I have known some people to respond well to only 25mg or 50 mg. and I've known other people who needed 300 - 400 mg. I've known some to feel drugged when only taking 50mg. The average person seems to need around 50 - 100 mg.

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  11. luckitri

luckitri New Member

I was taking 200mg Traz when it finally quit working.
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I take my Trazodone at 7:30 at night, and I'm usually (almost always) already in bed. I sleep from around 8:30 -9:00 at night until usually 6 or so.

You just might have to figure out a time that's best for you but leave yourself plenty of time to get the rest your body needs.

Trazodone has been wonderful for me....getting a great night's sleep is great for our bodies.

Good Luck,

Nancy B

13. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

I took half last night (25 mg). It still worked well enough that I was able to sleep. I'm in some pretty rough pain this morning but I think its just related to the flare. The pain from my elbow down to my hand is just UNREAL! I tried to put a lid on a cup and the pain about sent me through the roof, plus I scared my daughter something awful. She thought I was having a heart attack because it was the left arm. I had to calm her down and explain its FM pain, not a heart attack.

I do know I need to be more diligent at taking my nighttime meds earlier and I have to force myself to go to bed earlier. I've gotten so used to insomnia keeping me til 2-3am, but since the traz is working I just need to get my butt in bed earlier and get out of this night time rut.

In the back of my mind I'm still worried about Sjogrens and my CRP level being so high. I think I'll call my eye dr tomorrow and see if he's familiar with what to look for if I were to go in to get my eyes tested - then go from there I guess.

Have a great day everyone.
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

I take 50 mg. and it works for me. CRP is inflammatory indicator so if you have joint inflammation - it will register. Mine is always in the red. I am currently on Indomethicin but only 3 times a week, sort of an every other day thing.
  15. Chris3251

Chris3251 New Member

I'm curious, what does the Indomethicin do?
  16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I am just now finding this post to me. I had actually deleted a thread and was preparing to cease posting but I did want to answer your question regarding C-Reactive Protein. What it indicates is that there is current inflammation. So it is a marker for inflammation and what my rheumy told me he would do further testing for Sjogren's for.

I went back to him today and I will be starting Plaquenil tomorrow. It is supposed to slow the progression or lessen damage done by Sjogrens and hopefully it will give me a little more energy as well as help with joint pain.

I had spent a lot of energy posting regarding a PSA about CFS because I had seen it and was very excited that it was finally being validated. But it got a bit contraversial and I am far too tired and oversensitive at this point to continue posting if it is only going to result in upset. I wish you well and hope that you find a good doctor who will pay attention to symptoms and not be so nonchalant.