C-Reactive Protein

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterflybeauty, Oct 5, 2005.

1. butterflybeauty

butterflybeauty New Member

Hi, I have been diagnosed with FM for almost 2 years now. I saw my rheumatologist today & she went over my lab results from last week with me. My C-Reactive Protein level is high & my sed rate is slightly elevated. She said it means that there is inflamation in my body. I was just wondering if anyone else with FM has an elevated C-Reactive Protein level? Thanks. Butterfly
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Butterfly,

My CRP level is also high. The doctor said she wasn't going to address that right away, but I'm going to pursue it with her. My pulse is also high--between 98 and 100 all the time. I have fm/cfs/etc.

My father was very ill several years ago. His blood pressure went all over the place, very low to high, and his pulse was also high. He lost 25 pounds in a month. Finally, one of the doctors thought to check his CRP levels and found them high. It turned out he had inflamation of the heart. A few weeks of heavy anti-inflamatory drugs fixed it, but it almost wasn't discovered in time. I don't know where all the inflamation can be, but some organs just won't put up with it.

Don't know if that's helpful or not. It sounds like your rheumatologist is doing a thorough job with your blood work. Take care!

Francie
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My c-Reactive protein test was high and so was my sed rate. My CRP was 10.5 and my sed rate was 42. I ask my doctor if I should be worried about heart disease because of th CRP and he said no. He said when it is the heart it is usually much higher.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

My CRP has been very high,22, for a few years..The doctor says I have inflammation and has tested me for lupus,RA, etc..and the test are normal..She believes it is related to the cfs and fibro..She did tell me a lot of her fibro pts. had elevated CPR..

She doesn't know what else to do except to give meds for the inflammation..

How high was your crp and sed rate? My sed rate is elevated at times then it will be normal but my crp and ANA are always elevated...

The next test I will have will be a bone scan and my doc has told me she thinks it will be ok but just covering all areas...

Keep us posted,
    greatgran
  5. jannette

jannette New Member

I ALSO HAVE HAD QUITE A FEW BLOOD TEST AND ONE OF THE THINGS I REMEMBER MOST WAS THE CPR WHICH WAS READING AT 25 AND I WAS TOLD IT MAYBE IS INFLAMMATION AS IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 5.
  6. butterflybeauty

butterflybeauty New Member

Hi, I just want to thank everyone who replied to my question. I've had 3 knee replacement surgeries on my right knee with many complications. My last sugery was in 2001, but the Dr. now thinks my level is high because of that. Thanks again, & pain free wishes to you all. Take care, Butterfly
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

Yes, that means inflammation. Mine is always high. I take Sulindac (Clinoril) an anti-inflammatory but I'm always trying to find a balance between no pain in my joints and no stomach pain! It ain't easy being me!
    I've had several days of my muscles feeling like they are burning which always means - you got it - inflammation, even though they say FM doesn't cause inflammation.
    My name is INFLAMMATION!!! all the way.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

My cardiologist did a C-Reactive Protein blood test once. I wasn't sure what it was to check for--I just assumed it was something to do with the heart.

I think it was normal.
  9. fibro15

fibro15 New Member

Hi,
    My sed rate is very low almost always 1 or 2(since it started in 1989). The only ones that I have read that think this is important are Dr. Lapp and Cheney. This is what Dr. Cheney said: From The Heart of the Matter: Dr. Cheney on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Cardiac Issues
    ImmuneSupport.com
    Wondering if anyone else always has a very low sed rate? I have CFIDS and severe fibro.
    Kathy

THREE WAYS TO BLOCK NITRIC OXIDE

1) Hemoglobin

The best endogenous scavenger of nitric oxide is hemoglobin. [Hemoglobin is the “red” in red blood cells – a protein that transports oxygen from the lungs to the tissues.] “When hemoglobin scavenges nitric oxide, the nitric oxide bends the hemoglobin, causing the red blood cells to deform. Dr. Les Simpson in New Zealand found that the red blood cells of CFIDS patients were deformed, and when they’re deformed they can’t get through the capillary bed very well and can cause pain.”

“An indication of this [RBC deformation] is it also drops the SED rate. CFIDS patients have the lowest SED rates I’ve ever recorded, and the ones with the lowest SED rate may have the greatest degree of pain.” [SED rate refers to sedimentation rate, and is listed as ESR on many lab tests.]

“Do you know what your SED rate is by chance? Normal for you would be 15 plus or minus 5. That’s according to the British literature. A female your age has a higher SED rate than children and males. And you’re probably down around 0 to 3. Which means you have Nitric Oxide binding hemoglobin, and therefore you have an induced hemoglobinopathy, and red cell deformation and a low SED rate on that basis.”

In the Laboratory Textbook of Medicine there are only three diseases that lower the SED rate to that level. One is Sickle Cell Anemia, a genetic hemoglobinopathy. The second is CFS, an acquired hemoglobinopathy – acquired by Nitric Oxide binding. And guess what the third disease with a low SED rate is? Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy!

The more deformed red blood cells you have, the more pain you may experience. It’s bad enough when you don’t perfuse your muscles and your joints [because of poor microcirculation], but it’s even worse when your red blood cells are so deformed that they can barely get through the capillaries, or are blocked entirely. Some CFIDS patients have a problem similar to that of Sickle Cell patients in this regard, and Sickle Cell patients have unbelievable pain - you have to give them IV morphine and fluids. That’s how they’re treated.

10. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

C-reactive protein is indicative of inflammation.

It can be high because of inflammation from arthritis, tendonitis, myofascial problems, sprains, inflammation in organs, etc.

They have also discovered that it is a very strong indicator of risk for heart problems.

However, one can have a very high C-reactive protein and not be cardiovascular.

Now, I believer, there is a specific C-reactive protein test for cardiac and one for non-specific. My C-reactive on the FCC was 27!!!

When my cardiologist did the specific one, it was much, much lower.