CactusLil....seizures?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Copper2002, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

>>CactusLil wrote: now it has been confirmed that we are indeed having peti-mal seizures thus the cognitive/memory problems. That is why with the antiseizure meds we start with low doseages as the location of the area producing these peti-mal seizures must be identified<<

Hi Cactus,

are you saying in this statement that (all?)people with CFS/FMS are experiencing petit mal seizures? It makes sense to me, as I have experienced 2 major seizures with no detectable seizure disorder.I also experience significant "aura" activity, though all testing shows I have no seizure disorder. But, yes, doc started me on neurontin aprox 7 months ago, on the premise that it should reduce nerve pain, with the added benefit that it also is an anti-siezure med and should therefore cut down this aura activity (which the neuro referred to as migrane-type activity). I know these tests he ran SHOULD have picked up any indications of petit mal activity, but everything was neg.

so, curiosity has got me all wound up now! Can you direct me to any such info as might clarify this info? I would be MOST appreciative.

Thanks for any info you can share. I really appreciate your posts! You, herblady, and several others whose names escape me(ahhhhhhhh, seizure!) always have good stuff to pass on.

gentle hugs,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  2. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

>>CactusLil wrote: now it has been confirmed that we are indeed having peti-mal seizures thus the cognitive/memory problems. That is why with the antiseizure meds we start with low doseages as the location of the area producing these peti-mal seizures must be identified<<

Hi Cactus,

are you saying in this statement that (all?)people with CFS/FMS are experiencing petit mal seizures? It makes sense to me, as I have experienced 2 major seizures with no detectable seizure disorder.I also experience significant "aura" activity, though all testing shows I have no seizure disorder. But, yes, doc started me on neurontin aprox 7 months ago, on the premise that it should reduce nerve pain, with the added benefit that it also is an anti-siezure med and should therefore cut down this aura activity (which the neuro referred to as migrane-type activity). I know these tests he ran SHOULD have picked up any indications of petit mal activity, but everything was neg.

so, curiosity has got me all wound up now! Can you direct me to any such info as might clarify this info? I would be MOST appreciative.

Thanks for any info you can share. I really appreciate your posts! You, herblady, and several others whose names escape me(ahhhhhhhh, seizure!) always have good stuff to pass on.

gentle hugs,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  3. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Sorry for almost missing your post. I will find the citation for this unit of research but I was like you..finally something made a little sense! I knew the neurotin I was taking was doing "something" but couldn't define what that was...I felt some definate mood stabilization but I also knew the rheumi who had begun the neurotin had me on a starter dose ie. 300mg. four times a day. That was three years ago and this last year my cognitive deficits were and are awesome. I am talking amnesia to the point that I would usually just say...oh, well, missed that one. I never have any cognitive recognition that I am "out of it" but my daughter finally caught me on more than two ocassions on videotape being "goofy as hell". I could not believe it! Some of it was probably the unregulated diabetes but I have never been able to know I was coming and going with these invisible to the eye seizures!

I am shortly (got to get the printer ink) to print out the abstract for my now-doc so we can go up and hopefully the ridulousness of the last six months will abate! I am going up on my own anyway. I will post the link to the research on the petit mal seizures and FMS along w/abstract requests (will send out to your email).

Oddly the over-use of and lack of adequate research of, SSRIs have led to much needed information neurologists needed to find new treatments for conditions for which they thought were governed by malfunctioning ssri componants.

This is very exciting and promising info. The good thing too is that for those whose seizures were not originating in the area neurotin affected, perhaps tegretal or many of the other seizure meds will. Later. Cactus.
  5. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Dear Copper and CactusLil,
    Please include me in your site for seizures. My E=mail is LassieCass @aol.com.
    I too have aura-migraines and sometimes feel like I missed something as people are talking. Spacing out sort of and then coming back to normal and wondering what the heck went on.
    Thanks,
    Sandy