Caffeine -- how does it affect you??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maxine_CR, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

Caffeine (through coffee) has long been my drug of choice. I sheepishly confess that I drink heavily sugared turkish coffee in the morning -- one largish mug -- and have for many years. So, it's a lot of coffee and a lot of sugar. I continue to drink it every morning as I love the stuff, the way it tastes, the familiarity of it in the morning when I otherwise feel so awful, etc.

I experimented yesterday by taking a caffeine pill, no turkish -- and I fell asleep at my PC. I wonder if anyone else has had this opposite reaction to caffeine? It brings to mind some posts I've seen from people saying that clonazepam/klonopin gives them energy when the stuff is an anti-convulsant and makes most sleepy...

Just curious what others' experiences have been. I've determined that whatever energy the turkish gives me in the AM these days liekly is due to the sugar and not the caffeine....?

-max-
  2. nct

nct New Member

7 months ago when I went on a lo carb diet. Gave caffeine up at the same time. It can affect your blood sugar.
    The first 2 days of cold turkey I had headaches. So then I had 1/2 can of diet coke in the am on the drive in to work, and never touched it again. After about 4 days, I was off it. And I'll tell you, I do sleep better.

I would suggest, and to everyone, that you give it up. Its just not good for you, especially if you have candida troubles, which many of us seem to.

NAncy
  3. teawah

teawah New Member

I am also a coffee lover and drink it almost every morning. I know that I shouldn't because it can tend to cause my pain factor to rise because of the speed effect. Most of us coffee users don't notice that effect any more as we have become immune to the feeling. It still happens though. Whether we notice it or not. I also have fibrocystic breast disease and caffeine is an enemy to FBD. I have given up most of my chocolate habit:-( but the coffee is another story. I quit smoking, drinking, and most everything else but I still haven't been able to justify the coffee thing. I think about it alot which reminds me of when I used to smoke. Talking and thinking are not acting. But hey, I admit I am week and that I have a problem. At least I am half way there.

It does have a tendency to make me sleepy and I don't use sugar so I can't say anything about that.

We all have some bad habits and I could think of many that are much worse. If this is the only one you practice then you are not doing half bad. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Keep On Keepin' On,
    teawah
  4. kellbear

kellbear New Member

I used to drink Mt. dew all the time Coffee and anything sugar with caffeine. I am proud to say that I have given up caffeine completely and consume very little sugar. 1 teaspoon of sugar supresses your immune system for 1/2 hour. No wonder the kids get so sick. My immune system is bad enough without it. Also Tobacco does the same thing. Quit smoking as well.
  5. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

... will have to chew on this one for awhile. Not sure what to do about the coffee thing. Haven't been able to correlate pain and caffeine intake -- will work on that next.

-max-
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I was about 14 when I was assigned the morning milking. Coffee was an essential for that 1/2 mile treck to the barn, especially in winter. Never could stand it with sugar, and I was too lazy to go get the cream before I had my "fix".
    Kathryn
  7. nefran5

nefran5 New Member

You don't have a clue about what you are missing. Not the kind from boxes and not from a tea bag.

I'm talking about imported tea--big, juicy loose leaves steeped in a traditional covered cup for 45 seconds.

Every morning--that's for me!

Haven't you read how green tea is good for you?