Caffeine???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baby-bear, Sep 30, 2005.

1. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I have posted. Been out of work and out of body if you know what I mean...

Anyway, does caffeine make you fatigued and sore with FMS? Because the last 2 days I have been drinking Lipton Tea with NO sugar just straight and man do I hurt and have fatigue. I drink green tea mainly and that has never bothered me. Most of the organic teas I react to with painful reactions. So that's why I stick to Lipton.

Thank you greatly,

Pamela
  2. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I read a few years back in some mag that Lipton was one of the worst teas to drink- bad quality and apparently something they use when it is processed (chemicals??)-

I cant remember what the exact problem was but the tea got a bad grade on who ever did the tests on certain teas...maybe thats why you get sick.???

I was told by my FMS Dr we shouldnt have ANY caffeine.
    Its really bad for us, I stopped drinking it but not much happened...still in pain.

[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2005]
  3. matn

matn New Member

It was removed a long time ago from my diet and I was able to recover from CFS. The LD50 (lethal dose for killing 50% of the test animals) is quite low for caffeine and I had terrible reactions to it. It does not belong in the diet of someone trying to recover as it is one more thing that you have to detoxify. REMOVE IT!
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Please cut back slowly so you don't get headaches!
    I enjoy my coffee 2 cup in the morning. :) I drink the good stuff. Organic coffe, organic filters ect..
    Dee50
  5. kim840

kim840 New Member

Yes and you know, I thought I must be crazy! Sometimes, not always, after drinking tea I get a short lift and then I plunge.

I rarely drink any caffeine, have always hated coffee and sometimes drink tea. It has happened several times and I do believe it is related to the tea.

It just happened yesterday as a matter of fact.

I cannot explain it to you, but I do have it happen to me too if I drink caffeinated tea. So, I am sticking to the herbal teas if I want tea.

Always Hopeful,
    Marcia
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

last week I started bringing a thermos of black tea (from organically grown tea leaves, good stuff!) to work with me, because I've been very sleepy driving home in the afternoons.

Soon after I started drinking the black tea every day, I started having worse bladder spasms, I felt more achy, wasn't sleeping as well, was more irritable. I was more awake driving home, though.

I've stopped the black tea, am back to green and herb teas. Guess I needed the reminder! For me,an occasional cup of black tea is ok, and iced black tea is usually ok, but not every day.

Thursday night I filled a pitcher with water, added two bags of Jasmine green tea and two bags of Mint Medly, and put it all in the refrigerator for a few hours. Oh, my! It has a wonderful taste and is very refreshing. I took a thermos of it to work with me. Live and learn!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there Pamela,

I hadn't had any coffee (organic, decaf articicial also excluded) for two and a half years. Infact my only drink had been water. Hot and cold. Boring yes, but with the other diet adjustments I'd made, I was feeling really good.

Well over the past few months I've slowly reintroduced decaf at first and then the odd cup of organically grown real coffee. Oh I should mention I only drink brewed coffee, not instant. Anyway I noticed I'd been feeling 'seasick' and suffering from an upset tummy so I took it out again for a week. I had a cup of half decaf, half water (therefore incredibly weak) this afternoon and feel as sick as a dog again!

I guess for me and my system, even the slightest trace of caffine is toxic so I have no option really but to aviod it.

I gave up chocolate years ago too but on the odd occassion I have it I have a similar reaction. I seem to remember reading somewhere that chocolate has something in it that's similar caffine. Fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth so avoiding it completely in the future won't be that difficult for me.

Cheers Jana
  8. ckk

ckk New Member

i could never live without my coffee, i know a lot of people say its horrible for me but i have to have it. i am trying to cut back on it. i never used to be this bad but for some reason i cannot be without so, here i sit with coffee in hand! just my 2 cents.
    ckk
  9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

A few years ago when I first got sick I went through an elimination diet to see if I was allergic to something and if that what was making me sick. The first thing they tested (and made me give up) was caffeine. Have to say it didn't make the slightest bit of difference, I was still as sick without it.
    As a matter of fact, caffeine is put in many pain medication to enhance it, especially headache medications. I find caffeine helps boost my pain medication first thing in the morning and helps me get my motor running. However, I only drink about 2 cups of coffee or I get jittery.
    I truly believe there are people who have a bad reaction to caffeine and it may cause severe reactions in some, but I don't believe it has the same effect on everyone. Just as some are allergic to wheat, dairy, peanuts, etc.
    It nevers hurts to eliminate something from your diet to see if you feel better or worse, because some people have had good results from eliminating certain foods, drinks or additives, I'm just not one of them.

Sincerely
    JL

10. MKlady

MKlady New Member

...except for headaches. She said the caffeine increases the muscle pain. I take Tylenol, Ibuprofin and Ultram when those don't work.