caffeinetriggered migraine. any way to get rid of it? HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Oct 13, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

okay, so i'd basically gotten my migraines under control. I had one now and then, but it only lasted a day when i did, or sometimes even just a few hours, and it went away. I wasn't even taking medication for it; I was just detoxing from the midrin, and somehow, after one or two months, it worked.

anyways, i drank coffee the other day for the first time in probably two years, and i'm complete AGONY.

there are no triggers. NONE. it's worse than the last time. i know that the coffee triggered it initially, but it's been almost a week and it's not going away. and if possible, it's getting worse.

i don't even have to look at something bright to set it off. i could do absolutely nothing from the moment i wake up, i could sit in a dark room with my hands over my eyes and REGARDLESS i will still end up running for the bathroom because of the nausea.

nothing helped me before, and i'm really worried that this is going to be another 6 to 7 month thing. i haven't been in school for three days and i don't wnat to lose another year over these migraines.

it just figures that when everythings FINALLY working out and i'm FINALLY getting my FM under control, this hits me. anyways, to stop my ramblings, i was just wondering if anyone else had this happen, or knows anything that might break the migraine before it sticks.

i've never had a food trigger before--i don't even drink coffee 'cause of the GERD--but for some stupid insane reason i did, and i don't know if, when you get a migraine from food or drinks, it goes away when it gets out of your system?

any help? i'm going crazy here =[.
    -danielle
  2. maedaze

maedaze New Member

The only thing that will stop it for me is a pethadine injection, but make sure they give you enough. I have found if they stick to minimal amount it only takes the edge off and a couple of hours later i get a massive rebound migraine......... sort of makes it all a waste of time. Good luck, I hope it clears up soon.
  3. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Danielle - It's odd that caffeine is actually used by alot of doctors especially in emergency rooms to treat/relieve a migraine.

I never knew this until I was admitted for a migraine and they hooked me up to a caffeine bag. Sounds weird I know but it worked.

I now take Fiorinal which contains caffeine, aspirin and fenobarbital. It's a compound tablet and is frequently used by neurologist to treat chronic headaches or migraines. It's the best thing I have taken besides the triptans like Relpax, Maxalt, Imitrex which are not good to take often.

Have you had your blood pressure checked? This can cause migraines also. Just an idea.

Hope you feel better soon.

4. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Thats a point... check the pain releiving medication you are using as alot of medication for headaches actually have caffeine in as mostly it does help alot of us.

But with it causing yours, you could be taking what you think is just panidine or something but you are actually taking caffine too. Which will be adding to your woes.

Just a thought - good luck,
    maedaze
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

hmm the only thing i've been taking for it is Midrin, but i don't know what all's in it.

I can't take the midrin too often because that alone will cause rebound migraines for MONTHS.

I've gone to the hospital before for severe migraines, and they gave me something...which made me sleep for the entire time I was waiting for the doctor to check in, but by the time we'd left the hospital (3 and a half hours later) the migraine was back, and worse.

They just gave me vicodin and told me to take it. I tried that afterwards, but it only ENORMOUSLY aggrivated the FM, and didn't make my migraine go away.

This all happened during the last migraine cycle (which consisted of having a migraine 24/7 from january '06 to july '06.)

I just don't know what to do. I know that the triptans won't work--i've tried all of them before, and all they do is make me sleep. And neither will anti depressants.

I just started my period, so i'm SINCERELY hoping that it has almost everything to do with that, and the caffeine just hepled to set it off, because i can't handle another six months of straight migraines.

-danielle
  6. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Yep I know all about trying to stop migraine cycles and not being able to get decent releif from doctors and hospitals.... going through that right now.

Another trick that sometimes works, is antiflam rub, the peppermint smelling stuff, I have an organic rub that doesn't irritate my skin, and i rub it all over my head, through my hair,, yeah very messy, but oh there are some major sore spots there, that i make sure they are covered, all neck shoulders etc.

And then try and get some sleep..... quite often i have woken up with it gone.... often enough to keep trying it! again it doesn't work all the time, but its worth a go. When it works it works well.

Not the most attractive remedy i know! but its worth it when it works!

7. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say that I hope you have gotten rid of your headache by now!

I suffer from debilating headaches, too.

I can't drink caffeine products due to my heart medications, but it's the aspertame in the soft drinks and diet products that triggers migraines in me!!

Hope your doing better ...

Hugs,
    Janet