CAKE RECIPES

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Apr 10, 2007.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, I made the almond cake, (reduced the sugar to 2/3 cup). If you like almond flavor, this is a good cake. Lately, I have the habit of baking at midnight, too weird.....

(ALL THESE RECIPES FROM SOLO COMPANY)

On all the recipes I try to reduce the sugar by 1/2 if possible. You can taste the batter and see if it is still sweet enough.

ALMOND CAKE

10 to 12 servings

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar (reduce sugar to taste)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 can Solo almond filling or 1 jar Baker Almond filling
    1/4 cup milk
    * I added 1/2 tsp almond extract

(next time I am going to leave icing off and serve with fruit and whipped cream).

Almond Glaze
    1 cup confectioners sugar
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    2 tablespoons light cream

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.

Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond filling until blended. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt until mixed. Add to almond mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.

To make glaze, combine confectioners sugar, cream and almond extract in small bowl, and stir until blended and smooth. Spoon or drizzle over top of cake. Let stand until glaze is set.

Or top with fresh fruit and whipped cream!

Classic Poppy Cake

14 to 16 servings

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup dairy sour cream
    1 1/2 cups sugar (reduce sugar to taste)
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 can Solo or 1 jar Baker Poppy filling
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    4 eggs, separated
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add poppy filling and beat until blended. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat just until blended. Stir flour, baking soda and salt until mixed, and add to poppy mixture gradually, beating well after each addition.

Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into batter. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving.

Spicy Buttermilk Prune Cake

12 to 16 servings

Cake
    1 1/2 cups sugar (reduce sugar to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1 cup cooking oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 can Solo or 1 jar Baker Prune filling
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1 teaspoon nutmeg

Buttermilk Topping
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.

Blend sugar and oil. Add beaten eggs, mixing well. Stir dry ingredients together and add to batter alternately with buttermilk. Stir in Prune filling, nuts and vanilla until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean. When cake is done, prepare buttermilk topping and pour it over cake while still warm. Leave cake in pan.

For topping, combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to boil and cook to soft ball stage (234° F on candy thermometer.) Remove from heat and beat until mixture stops bubbling.

If you use a 9 x 13-inch pan, pour glaze over cake while still in pan. Also, bake time may be shorter by 5 to 10 minutes.

CARROT CAKE

a reduced-fat recipe

4 cups grated carrots (spooned, not packed into cup)
    2 cups sugar (reduce sugar to taste)
    1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
    1 cup prune plum lekvar filling
    4 large egg whites
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup shredded or flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray and set aside. In large bowl combine carrots, sugar, pineapple, lekvar, egg whites and vanilla; stir to blend thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients except coconut; mix completely. Gently stir in coconut.

Spread batter in prepared pan and bake about 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool on rack. Cut into 3 x 31/4-inch squares.

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/11/2007]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I have tasted the Jello cake and it was frosted with Cool Whip! Pretty good.

I want to try the almond cake, too!

I'll list some cake recipes later. Got to go finish my taxes now!!

jlh
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I can find no cake in the store that tastes as good as one yyou make at home. I like to take basic yellow cake mixes and add a tsp of orange oil and grated orange rind to the batter. Also use orange juice instead of water. On the butter recipe I used the same amount of extra virgin olive oil and add an additional egg. The cake is like chiffon- so good.