calcium alone and guiafenisen more flair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nancyb16, Aug 12, 2003.

1. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I have been on guai for seven months now and have had some flares, and have had some good days. Started a regular excercise program,lost 30#'s and also started taking my calcium citrate alone in am with bkfst and magnesium 500mg, zinc, and b6 at bedtime. since then I think I feel worse could it be that the calcium is releasing phosphates and so is the guai, so it is like a double wammy? Is this good or bad, and maybe I should cut back on something or just wait it out.Please reply if you have any info on this situation. thanks Nancyb16
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, by taking the Calcium with a meal, it is allowing the phosphates to be excreted through the intestines. It is like a double whammy. I believe the Calcium with meals is an even more efficient way to pull phosphates from soft tissue than excreting it through the kidneys where the phosphates must compete with the sals.

If you are finding this too uncomfortable, you might want to continue with the Calcium and cut down on the morning dose of the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  3. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion I'll try it tomorrow. Where did you learn about calcium and phosphates being eliminated in the stool? Just curious because I get asked a lot of questions since I'm a nurse and I know a lot of people with fm. Love Nancyb16
  4. pattipatsdd

pattipatsdd New Member

Dear Nancy...do you know that guai is being taken off the market? I can't live without it...do you know of a resource? thanks..pat
  5. beckster

beckster New Member

available???????Which state or country are you in.
    Wondering who told you this. Thanks. Beckstter
  6. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

didn't mean to scare you but I have been reading on Dr. St Amand's site the rumor that last year sometime that we would not be able to get the LA 600mg guaifenisen, and its because of a manufacturer called Adam's and the FDA are going to remove it from the market until all manufactures can prove the formulation for their products. I'm not really and expert on this and this may be only for the 600 LA and we will probably still be able to get it over the counter with out px.The website I looked at was the UK-FMS-GUAI Website at http://ukfmsguai.tripod.com, then click on Guaifenisen, then click Guai Support Home Page, then http://www.psha-unc.com, then click on FAQ. Guai Product Troubleshooter. there you will find all kinds of sources for guaifenesen all over the world.I hope we can staighten this out so we can all rest easy and have a source for our guaifenisen. Keep me posted on anything you might discover and perhaps we can ask MICKIE she is very knowledgeable. LOve Nancyb16
  7. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I live in Portland, Oregon, and have been reading about the fact that guaifenisen will be taken off the market but not sure this is all the guaifenisen or just the 600mg LA, because of a company called Adams. It will happen in November 2003, according the the Guai International Support Group. Hope I am right and it is only the 600mg LA but that will still be upsetting to me because that's what I've been taking. Let's all keep our heads about this and keep our eyes open for more information. Love Nancyb16
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I believe the fact that I had taken large doses of calcium citrate with all my meals for over ten yrs. is why the Guai did not seem to work for me when I finally tried it. I think I had already done a pretty good job of removing whatever may have been there. I still have fibro though....but the pain is not even in the top three symptoms anymore. After 17 yrs., what it's now doing to my brain is the biggest problem.
    Klutzo
  9. beckster

beckster New Member

I have a friend who is about 8 years ahead of me on this dd. I remember some years back she said that after many years the pain quiets down but the neurological gets worse.
    I think I agree with Mikie that this is basically a neurological illness (although also immune/endocrine).
    I'm in the process of trying to throw up a roadblock on any neuro stuff. cheers--beckster
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Are you familiar with slow virus theory? This theory holds that we have a very slow moving virus that moves in a predictible pattern from one area to the other, leaving behind damage in it's wake, and the brain is the last place it gets to on it's travels.
    Klutzo
  11. isee

isee New Member

If it's the last stop, in the virus' journey? Then, will it leave it as it has left other organs in our bodies?

Anna
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Though it is thought to still leave behind the dysregulated systems. This is one theory behind the new treatment known as Neurobiofeedback....that once the virus is gone, you can then retrain the brain to regulate itself properly.
    Klutzo
  13. isee

isee New Member

How does that work? Do you know?

Anna
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I read about the calcium in the section for physicians on Dr. St. Amand's web site. I can't imagine why he is keeping this helpful hint for physicians and not telling patients about it.

Love, Mikie
  15. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Mikie, you seem to have answers to many of my problems. I never made a connection between taking Guai and calcium at the same time, but maybe this is why I go thru incredible flares.

BTW, I'm thinking that brain fog might be a psychological defense mechanism when the pain gets too bad. For me, the fog is worst when the pain is increasing, then the pain gets better (no opoids involved). Any thoughts?