Calcium Citrate???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Dec 15, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I had a horrible reaction to calcium/mag. citrate...I know alot of people say it is better fou you...but not for me. The one I took was a powder with no other ingredients, too.

I did some reading and the citrate can come from citric adid...which is corn...which when processed so much it frees up the glutamate..there for it causes a MSG reaction.

And that is exactly what happened to me..

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem???

Thanks,
    SherylD
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Where did you read that citric acid is corn? I don't think corn has any citric acid in it.

I've been taking calcium citrate tablets for several years with no bad side effects, and a separate magnesium supplement. And actually, my bones are in good shape, suprisingly so, because I'm unable to exercise due to CFIDS. I'm sure it's due to all the calcium I take. I take Swanson's brand Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D.

Maybe the powder you took got contaminated somehow in processing?

Mary
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Let me refrase that...

After a little research, I learned that anything that has the word, "citrate" after it, means that it is combined with citric acid....which is a corn by-product containing glutamic acid residues. Or...Hydrolyzed corn. Anything hydrolyzed frees up the glutamate and causes a msg reaction..

When people are REALLY sensitive to MSG...The would have a reaction to anything with citrate...citric acid...

I must be one of them..

I do a lot of searching on a msg site...msgmyth. There is a lot of good info on there..
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]