Calcium & constipation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybird1, Oct 27, 2002.

1. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

My gynecologist had long ago recommended that I take a calcium supplement for my bones. I also read that calcium
    may prove beneficial for FMS(which I have). However whenever I take any calcium supplement or even drink something like calcium-fortified orange juice, I suffer from constipation. Constipation in turn triggers severe tightness of my back and hip muscles. Does anyone know of
    a calcium that will not cause constipation? I read through
    a few of the more recent posts with "calcium" in the message but none addressed this. What is coral calcium?
  2. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

My gynecologist had long ago recommended that I take a calcium supplement for my bones. I also read that calcium
    may prove beneficial for FMS(which I have). However whenever I take any calcium supplement or even drink something like calcium-fortified orange juice, I suffer from constipation. Constipation in turn triggers severe tightness of my back and hip muscles. Does anyone know of
    a calcium that will not cause constipation? I read through
    a few of the more recent posts with "calcium" in the message but none addressed this. What is coral calcium?
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Keep the calcium, just balance it properly with magnesium. It is supposed to be balanced anyway!
    For example, if you are taking 1,000 mgs. of calcium per day,take it in two doses, as you can't absorb more than 500 mgs. at one time, and don't take it with high calcium foods or you won't absorb it all. Then at bedtime, take 500 mgs. of magnesium. Keep the magnesium at least 2 hrs. away from when you take the calcium for better absorption. You may have to work up to the 500 mgs. magnesium because it can cause diarreha until you get used to it. Once you get the proper balance (2 to 1, calcium to magnesium) your bowels should not be too loose or too tight but just right! Magnesium is probably the most important nutrient for Fibro patients, and we have been proven to be tissue deficient in it. I take 1,000 mgs. calcium citrate and 510 mgs. magnesium citrate every day, and get the rest of what I need through foods. The magnesium should solve your constipation problem.... after all they don't call the constipation medicine "Milk of Magnesia" for nothing!
    Klutzo
    P.S. There is one exception to what I just said...persons wtih known kidney disease should not take any magnesium without talking to their doctor first.
  4. tjblueeyes

tjblueeyes New Member

I have found that taking magnesium helps with my constipation. It takes a couple of weeks to really kick in, however. I take 400 mg. a day. TJ
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also had the constipation problem, since I started taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B-6) at night for sleep I am usually quite regular.
    I take the calcium in the morning. This usually keeps my bowels normal(ZMA can be bought here at Pro Health, just go to the 'Store' link), but if I have a bad day, I take a teaspoon full of; 'Natural Calm' its a powdered form of magnesium citrate you mix with water (Can be bought at most health food stores), it will clear up the constipation in about 14 hours.

But like Klutzo said, if you have a kidney problem, be sure to ask your doctor about it.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

A warm thank you to all who repsonded to my posting.
    I will heed all you radvice.
    Again...thank you!