Calcium,Magnesium and zinc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 115618, Feb 8, 2004.

1. 115618

115618 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    After being treated for depression for years because of being so tired I was finally diagnosed with fibro and CFS after many tests. For me the tiredness is the worst part. I am taking paxil but it seems to increase my anxiety and also wonder if it makes me more tired. I have been told by a friend to try a combination of calciun, mag, and zinc. Do any of you have any input. I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, Marie
  2. JustAmy

JustAmy New Member

I take coral calcium for acid reflux. I take 1 three times a day.

I take 250mg of magnesium a day. My headaches are all but gone.

After three days of taking them I find that I have excess energy. My headaches have went from all day for two years to maybe a one or two minute headache twice a day.

I plan on staying on calcium and magnesium for as long as it works.

Hope it works for you, JustAmy
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have CFS, not FM, so can only tell you what has helped me with CFS:

You might have weak adrenal glands, which can be a major source of fatigue for CFS. There are glandular adrenal supplements at health food stores and chiropractors which help, also vitamin B complex and pantothenic acid. Some of the glandular products I have used are Cytozyme AD, Adrenogen and Drenatrophin.

Also many people with CFS have hypothyroidism, even though their thyroid always tests normal. Sometimes thyroid medication helps; kelp can help also if this is a problem.

You could try 5-htp (hydroxytryptophan) if you want to get off the Paxil. I can't tolerate prescription anti-depressants, they have horrible side effects. 5-htp is an amino acid which helps to regulate serotonin levels without the nasty side effects of prescription drugs. But I don't think you should take it at the same time as Paxil.

Other things that can help with fatigue:

l-carnitine or acetyl-l-carnitine (amino acid)
    alpha-lipoic acid
    Magnesium malate (magnesium & malic acid)

Unfortunately it's complex, there probably is no one single answer. You'll probably have to do a lot of reading and experimentation on your own. Most doctors are abysmally ignorant of what to do. Good luck --
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

What is it, where can you get it, and would it cost less than $25/mo (my copay for the Paxil)? I've been on Paxil so long I don't even remember when I started it but when I have to go without it for a few days (to a few weeks) due to financial lack, the resulting crash is unpleasant.

JoAnn
  5. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Marie:

In my experience adding magnesium zinc and calcium with Malic acid (from apples) has helped both with energy and achiness for the FM. I take the malic acid 600mg 2x day I take the calcium 1000mg at least2 hours before or after the magnesium as to not interfere with absorption. and the Zinc is in my multi vitamin. I usually take the Magnesium 500-600mg at night. However if you are just starting take only 200mg or you may end up with Diahrea until your body adjusts. I have noticed a big difference since increasing these vit/min/supp. hope this is helpful

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2004]
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Suz is right, always take your magnesium a few hours before or after the calcium.

I used to take a supplement with both, but it did not help as much as when I separated the two by a few hours.

What I take is ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) its wonderful for deep sleep, RLS, and FM spasms.

I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) for pain and fatigue, it does help with energy.

Can't help with the Paxil, as I am allergic to most meds, and do not take anything except a low dose of Xanax for racing brain syndrome.

Magnesium is great for anxiety, it is called 'natures tranquilizer'.

If you want to read a good book on Magnesium and all that is good for get a copy of; 'The Miracle of Magnesium' by Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D. It is a wealth of information on magnesium and all it is needed for in the body.

Shalom, Shirl