Calcium,Magnesium and zinc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by 115618, Feb 8, 2004.

1. 115618

115618 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    After being treated for depression for years because of being so tired I was finally diagnosed with fibro and CFS after many tests. For me the tiredness is the worst part. I am taking paxil but it seems to increase my anxiety and also wonder if it makes me more tired. I have been told by a friend to try a combination of calciun, mag, and zinc. Do any of you have any input. I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, Marie
  2. JustAmy

JustAmy New Member

I take coral calcium for acid reflux. I take 1 three times a day.

I take 250mg of magnesium a day. My headaches are all but gone.

After three days of taking them I find that I have excess energy. My headaches have went from all day for two years to maybe a one or two minute headache twice a day.

I plan on staying on calcium and magnesium for as long as it works.

Hope it works for you, JustAmy
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

I have CFS, not FM, so can only tell you what has helped me with CFS:

You might have weak adrenal glands, which can be a major source of fatigue for CFS. There are glandular adrenal supplements at health food stores and chiropractors which help, also vitamin B complex and pantothenic acid. Some of the glandular products I have used are Cytozyme AD, Adrenogen and Drenatrophin.

Also many people with CFS have hypothyroidism, even though their thyroid always tests normal. Sometimes thyroid medication helps; kelp can help also if this is a problem.

You could try 5-htp (hydroxytryptophan) if you want to get off the Paxil. I can't tolerate prescription anti-depressants, they have horrible side effects. 5-htp is an amino acid which helps to regulate serotonin levels without the nasty side effects of prescription drugs. But I don't think you should take it at the same time as Paxil.

Other things that can help with fatigue:

l-carnitine or acetyl-l-carnitine (amino acid)
    alpha-lipoic acid
    Magnesium malate (magnesium & malic acid)

Unfortunately it's complex, there probably is no one single answer. You'll probably have to do a lot of reading and experimentation on your own. Most doctors are abysmally ignorant of what to do. Good luck --
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

What is it, where can you get it, and would it cost less than $25/mo (my copay for the Paxil)? I've been on Paxil so long I don't even remember when I started it but when I have to go without it for a few days (to a few weeks) due to financial lack, the resulting crash is unpleasant.

JoAnn
  5. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Marie:

In my experience adding magnesium zinc and calcium with Malic acid (from apples) has helped both with energy and achiness for the FM. I take the malic acid 600mg 2x day I take the calcium 1000mg at least2 hours before or after the magnesium as to not interfere with absorption. and the Zinc is in my multi vitamin. I usually take the Magnesium 500-600mg at night. However if you are just starting take only 200mg or you may end up with Diahrea until your body adjusts. I have noticed a big difference since increasing these vit/min/supp. hope this is helpful

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2004]
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Suz is right, always take your magnesium a few hours before or after the calcium.

I used to take a supplement with both, but it did not help as much as when I separated the two by a few hours.

What I take is ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) its wonderful for deep sleep, RLS, and FM spasms.

I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) for pain and fatigue, it does help with energy.

Can't help with the Paxil, as I am allergic to most meds, and do not take anything except a low dose of Xanax for racing brain syndrome.

Magnesium is great for anxiety, it is called 'natures tranquilizer'.

If you want to read a good book on Magnesium and all that is good for get a copy of; 'The Miracle of Magnesium' by Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D. It is a wealth of information on magnesium and all it is needed for in the body.

Shalom, Shirl