Calcium/Magnesium Ratio

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jengus, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jengus

jengus New Member

Anyone tell me Calcium/Magnesium Ratio. I take 1200 mg. Calcium (one 600 mg. twice a day) and wanted to try adding Magnesium.)

My recent bone density improved this year with taking 1,000 mg. Vit. D. along with my 600 mg. Calcium Carbonate w/Vit D that I take every morning. I take the other 600 mg. Calcium with evening meal.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i take 1000mg cal 500mg mag 400d
  3. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

whenever, not on daily basis though. Let's say oine 500 mg Calcium to one 500 mg of Magnesium. I also take between 3000 to 4000 I.U. of vitamin D3.

Take care... :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2009]
  4. jengus

jengus New Member

I've ordered combination tabs of 1,000 mg. Calcium w/400 mg. magnesium and 15 mg zinc. I also take 1,000 mg. of Vit. D and Centrum Silver which has 220 mg. Calcium, 50 mg. Magnesium, 11 mg. Zinc and 500 IU Vit. D.

Have you been taking the l000 mg. calcium and 500 mg. magnesium for a while? Notice any help with sleeping or pain?

I've always taken 600 mg. Calcium w/Vit D twice a day, one Centrum, one Vit. C twice a day. Thought I'd try adding the Magnesium - seems to be so helpful to lots of people. I am 67 yrs, old and want to keep my bones strong!!! Would love to not have to take the many prescription pills I take!!

Thanks for your reply.

5. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Just so you know, it's incredibly easy to overdose on vit D surprisingly enough most people who take vit D supplements are overdosing and don't even know it. Your best bet with that is to just allow your body to create it naturally which is done by soaking up the sun.

As for Magnesium, it's next to impossible to overdose on it. You know you've taken too much when it gives you diarreah. If that happens, just lower your dose till your bowel movements are to where they should be, easily passed but not so solid that you have to strain. The good thing about Magnesium is that your body get's rid of any excess that you take in without it building up and causing adverse reactions. A great way to increase your Magnesium is to buy epsom salts, dump it in your bathwater, and enjoy a good long soak. Your body absorbs more Magnesium that way than if you're taking vit's with it included. The combination of the two will get you up to the proper magnesium levels quickly.

When it comes to a ratio between magnesium and calcium, well, I just don't know of any actual ratio. Each person is different in their needs and what is a good amount for one person to take could quickly be an overdose for the next person, or no where near enough. As I've already explained, Magnesium is easy to figure out, I'm not too sure about the calcium though. Personally I get all my calcium from homogonized milk, cheeses and real butter. Your body absorbs vitamins and minerals best when they're from natural sorces as opposed to chemical imitations. Besides, what can possibly compare to nature?

I don't take any supplements of any kind and have changed my diet to be that of a more natural diet. All my foods are homemade, breads are made from rye, flax, unbleached white or whole wheat flour. Nor do I eat anything with margarine anymore or bleached white flour. I don't even buy breakfast cereal, I make my own granola which tastes a lot like Quaker Harvest Crunch, but is, not surprisingly, a lot healthier.

I hope this helps! I'll find my granola recipe and post it on the message board in case you're interested in having it.

Best of luck,
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

its really NOT easy to od on vit d you would have to take 5000mg a day for yrs for it to happen even the fda plans on bumping the mgs up to 1000mg or 2000mg daily my dr had me on 50,000 2x a week for awhile and some people take 50,000 a day for 2 months at a time. sunshine is great for you but who can get any in the winter months. centrum is also a bad vit brand i have been told it dont break down in the body and it just goes through you system with no benefit. proof of this was my mil taking them and was anemic so it told her to buy from putitans pride and now she if fine. good luck charlene
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I just want to add that calcium carbonate is like eating pieces of chalk or pieces of clam shell and expecting your digestive system to be able to absorb them. It's not a very absorbable form of calcium.

The most absorbable forms of calcium are calcium lactate and calcium citrate.