Calcium/ Magnesium supplement is it taken with or without food?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

The container doesn't say. It's just states two should be taken daily as a dietary supplement... ?? Any one tell me what they do? Thanks, Shell :)
  2. jess

jess New Member

Hi shelbo, I do know that calcium absorbs better when taken with food. Not sure about magnesium. I always take both with something. I would think that if it doesn't say on the container then either way is ok. Wishing you the best, Jess
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

something light like an apple or something... :) Thanks again for replying - I didn't know about calcium absorbing better with food so I've learnt something! :) I am taking the supplement for the mag really but read somewhere a long time ago that you should take mag with about twice the calcium...I'm hoping it'll work to counter some of the muscle pain in my neck and back (plus headaches!)

I've been trying to read a book called The Magnesium Miracle when I can - very interesting. The author proposes that you take cal & mag in a 3:2 ratio but it's been impossible to find a supplement with that ratio of cal to mag...and I didn't want to buy two separate supplements....they're so expensive!

Thanks again for your advice, Jess!

Shell :)