calcium, magnesium, zinc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IEMom, Aug 7, 2006.

1. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Does anyone take a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement before bed?

I've been researching supplements and found this recommendation.

If you take this what improvements have you noticied. I heard it can make you regular, sleep better, and help your muscles relax.

Has anyone found this to be true?

And if so, how many mg do you take?
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You've touched on one of my favorite subjects. This supplement is a must for those with our DD and if we can take it, we should.

I learned about it here and started taking it over a year ago during the first year of my 2 year flare.

Within days I noticed a difference in my fibro fog. Then I started to notice the improvements went away. I had bought the book, The Miracle of Magnesium and in it found that if you're taking calcium supplements too, it can interfere with the results of this already balanced supplement.

So, I dropped my extra calcium supplements and have been a believer ever since.

I take a cheap military store brand with 999mg calcium/ 399mg magnesium/ 15mg zinc and take two daily. Right now I've just moved my morning one to the afternoon so it doesn't interfere with my TSH in the morning.

I take one at night too.

Now the second benefit was more subtle....I don't even remember when I realized it, but my muscle pain is GONE. I used to walk around plastered with ThermaCare pads all over my neck, back and shoulders and looked like an idiot but who cares, right?

I haven't had one on in over a year now and it's amazing. I still have joint pain, but the horrible muscle aches and pains are gone. I also used to carry Aspercreme everywhere with me and have it by my side but no longer need it.

I did and probably always will have a problem with IBS-D and it did make it worse. I was taking 3 Immodiums each morning before I ate and had been taking it for years. I just asked the doc to up my dosage and now take 4 a morning, and it's worth it.

I honestly believe that we're all deficient in magnesium and can't get enough from our foods. This is an important supplement for us and our docs should be recommending it early with our dx.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I was so excited to read your post. I went out and bought a cal/mag/zinc supplement. it has 333mg of cal, 133 mg of mag, and 5mg of zinc. I took two tonight and want to see how it goes.

Your post gives me hope. I have muscle aches everyday in some degree or another.

I also have a problem with constipation, so I wonder what will happen with that.

I noticed that you mentioned TSH. Two years ago I had my thyroid taken out and take levothyroid each morning. Is that what you are on?

Thank you so much for your response. It really meant alot!!
  4. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Hi iemom,

pls tell us if it works for you. However the dose could be too low. I think I read on this message board that they recommend 400mg Magnesium twice a day for people with FM/CFS.
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think that dose will be fine for starting out and seeing how it works for you. Maybe you can wait a week or two then try 1 or 2 in the morning as well.

Some find that this supp relaxes them, I felt energized when I first started taking it but that could also be from the lift of the brain fog too.

I'm on Levothyroxine since last Nov for hypothyroid and I still don't think my levels are correct, that's why I moved my cal/mag/zinc supplement this week away from my morning meds.

I truly hope you find some relief with this new supplement that's helped so many of us.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  6. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I have been taking the supplements for about 3 days now. My fibro fog has lifted and I feel so much better, it is really unbelieveable for me.

I'm thinking it couldn't be the supplements...that was kinda too easy. But can it? Is it really the supplements that lifted me out of that brain fog?

I went into work the other day and was actually able to concentrate and get into my project. It felt great.

Tomorrow night I plan to increase from 2-3 pills and see what happens. Thanks so much for your encouragement.