Calcium Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Feb 26, 2010.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Hello Everyone.

I haven't been on in a while and hope everyone's improving.

I just started a calcium supplement and it has been helping me terrifically with sleeping. The problem is the magnesium is sending me to the bathroom 7-8 times a day.

Can I take a calcium supplement without magnesium with the same effect?

Thanks so much.

2. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

3. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

...and it is upsetting my digestion. :(
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Wow, I didn't know that you had to take magnesium with calcium! Please educate me and tell me why!

I just knew that you had to take Calcium +Vit. D, that the Vitamin D was necessary for the calcium to be absorbed in your system.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If your diet includes adequate amounts of magnesium each day, then it isn't necessary for you to take a magnesium supplement along with your calcium. As long as you are including foods such as yogurt, nuts, whole grains, fruits and veggies (especially bananas and cooked spinach), legumes, and dried fruits such as apricots and prunes, you should be okay. You might want to consider taking a multi-vitamin each day just to boost anything you might be a little low in that day.

Dr. Oz recommends taking Vitamin D3 along with calcium for good absorption.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2010]
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I know that I buy the Calcium+D, so the calcium already includes the Vit.D, but I also bought the Vit. D-3 but I'm bad about not taking it all the time.

I have to take so many prescription meds that I tend to not take what supplements that I buy on a regular basis. I just get tired of taking so many pills every day!
  7. loto

loto Member

Caltrate. It has Magnesium Stearate in it. I don't know exactly what that is, but it doesn't make me go to the bathroom.

8. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

loto - From the Caltrate brands that I can find on the web, all of them I see have very little magnesium in them, which is more likely the reason you don't get a laxative effect from it.

The RDA is 400mg. I'm taking a little over twice that amount.

The proper way to take magnesium is divide up the doses during the day, and take it with meals. Both methods helps to absorb a greater amount, leading to less of a laxative effect. It also will help symptoms better. Certain forms of magnesium can be absorbed well without food, but it's still safer to take it with food.

- Mark

9. loto

loto Member

So, i guess i should get a separate magnesium supplement and take it also?
    My chiropractor told me I should take it daily, also, I just haven't made the effort to get some.

10. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I've started taking 1000 mg. calcium with D3 and 500 mg. with magnesium. It seems to be a winning combo, and I'm sleeping much, much better.