Calcium question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi, Does anyone on this board have a hard time finding a good calcium supplement? Here's the deal, I take magnesium and malic acid as a combination supplement, so I don't need any extra magnesium. All the calcium supplements I have found have mag in them, or there's sugar in the supplement. I just need a basic calcium/vitamin D combination that's either a liquid or powder. Years ago, I tried calcium such as caltrate, but I have a hard time digesting those hard pills. Any suggestions? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

good question!

Anyone got some answers?

Victoria
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

You can get great quality calcium here on this site and it comes with or without magnesium. Calcium citrate is supposed to be the easiest to digest. You can just click on the store button at the top of the page and then look for calcium. You can read about the ingredients in each supplement and then decide which one fits your needs best. Their Malic Acid and Magnesium is also great. Prices are good too.

Barbara
  4. DetMills

DetMills New Member

The calcium supplement I've settled on contains five different types of calcium (chelate, citrate, hydroxyapatite, aspartate and lactate) in addition to Vitamin D, chromium, copper, three types of magnesium, manganesse, potassium, selenium, zinc and boron.

Calcium carbonate is the cheaptest form of calcium which is why it is often used in supplements. In studies I am aware of, and which are cited in the notes of nutritionist Rod Burreson's corny-titled book "Never Ever Ever Give Up," calcium citrate was far more effective than carbonate at reducing bone loss in test subjects, particularly in post-menopausal women.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you are taking magnesium for your pain, do not take it with calcium. The two bind together in the body leaving which means that the magnesium is not available for mending muscle.

The ZMA sold here is an excellent way to get magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B-6. It helps with both sleep and muscle repair. You take it at night and do not take calcium with it. Take your calcium during the day. If you take it with meals, it will bind to the phosphate debris in our systems and help us to excrete it through the intestines.

Love, Mikie
  6. kalina

kalina New Member

Too many times, I've heard conflicting information on taking calcium when also taking magnesium. I've heard that calcium cannot be fully absorbed without magnesium, and most calcium supplements also contain magnesium (I just supposed this was why). Then again, I've also heard the version that Mikie mentions, that calcium and magnesium should not be taken together.

Well, how close together can they be taken? Which version is correct? I'm so confused! (I take 400mg calcium 3 times per day, and 200mg magnesium twice per day, As it is, I have to take pills 5 times a day, and if I have to keep calcium and magnesium separate, I'll never remember when to take all those pills!)

Kalina
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Is suppose to be very readily absorbable, even without much acidity in the stomach, accompanied with the Vitamin D, and it is very inexpensive..which I have been on for many years..the pills I have bought can even be broken in half or the recent ones have a coating that makes it easier to swallow..

I made a big mistake listening to some of the hype about Coral Calcium, which in the end was so expensive and probably harmful, containing high lead level..

Calcium Citrate is readily available everywhere..and Klutzo recommends it as her first choice of calcium..

Plantscaper
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2003]
  8. DetMills

DetMills New Member

That is fascinating about calcium and magnesium. I have been giving my sister the wrong advice, so I really appreciate this clarification.

Heard something interesting today on a health program: people who consume caffeine or caffeine-containing foods and drinks have impaired calcium uptake. May be due to to "phytic acid" (?). At first the doctor said it was only really a problem with coffee, but later corrected himself and said any form of caffeine could inhibit uptake.