Calcium supplements bad for heart - again!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KerryK, May 23, 2012.

1. KerryK

KerryK Member

I saw this on today's BBC web page:[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2012]
  2. deepak

deepak Member

This link is not opening
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

google "BBC news health calcium" and you'll get the article. I think she did post the proper link.

4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I updated the post.
  5. deepak

deepak Member

I somehow never liked these calcium supplements much. I stopped my moms 1000 mg calcium supplements which her gynac prescribed a few months back. Her DEXA scan showed her bones were good for her age. Why so much calcium then I thought ....I do make her have vitamin D and vitamin k2 though.

I had written to Life extensions and they said if bones are ok , I can give just vit D and K2 and no need to give calcium.

K2 plays a very important role too in making sure the calcium goes to the bones and not the arteries.

6. KerryK

KerryK Member

I know many don't want to believe that calcium supps can be bad for you. However, there are now several studies showing just that. I don't see any reason to believe that dividing the supps in smaller and more frequent doses alters the outcome. I even read a study showing that calcium with vit. D does almost nothing to alter osteoporosis. However, the risks remain. The problem with osteoporosis is that the body cannot well rebuild bone for hormonal reasons. Taking calcium does little to overcome this. It appears to me there is no longer any reason to supplement calcium unless you just can't eat any.