Calcuim helps with sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Mar 13, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have heard people say before that calcium is supposed to help with sleep. I am just posting because I think this might actually be true.

I recently switched to taking my calcium pills at night and I seem to be sleeping better. Then there were 3 nights in a row that I forgot to take the calcium and those 3 nights I didn't sleep well at all. THEN when I started taking the calcium again and I started sleeping much better again.

So looks like the theory is true...at least for me. I seem to be getting some good nights of sleep so maybe this will help others as well. Just thought I would share this.

Take Care!
    Pam
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Pam!

Calcium has helped me sleep for 17 years now.

That plus the magnesium, phytoestrogen and progesterone I take has kept me from needing sleeping pills the whole time I've had CFS.

Forebearance
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes, it helps me.
  4. romalaw

romalaw Member

Yes, it helps and so does magnesium taken at bedtime
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

Helps with restles leg syndrome also.
  6. It does? I have taken lots of calcium for yrs. and I do not sleep.
  7. Elisa

Elisa Member

For those of you who have used calcium and sleep better...what dose do you take and how soon before bedtime?
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, Elisa,

I began with something like 250 mg, back when I first got CFS. Over the years, I've had to increase it because every time I increase my dose of thyroid, my metabolism speeds up and my need for calcium increases.

By now I'm up to 2125 mg of calcium. I take it in five doses, each two hours apart. That's because the stomach can only absorb 500 mg at a time. So I take it at 3,5,7,9, and 11.

I probably need more calcium than most people do, because osteoporosis runs in my family. So far, I don't have it. Another good effect of calcium is that it helps keep you from getting cavities in your teeth.

Love,
    Forebearance
  9. Elisa

Elisa Member

Your information is really helpful...maybe I'll try 500 mg tonight and see how that goes. I have terrible problems sleeping - sometimes not sleeping for days. It's hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. I do like the idea of taking natural things - I hope it works!!

Elisabeth
  10. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Did you take your Calcium before bed last night? Just wondering if you did and how it went for you. I am sleeping MUCH better now that I am taking my calcium at night.

I only take 500mg of calcium and I take it at night. I normally take it 3-4 hours before I go to sleep. I don't usually go to bed until 2am or later.

I hope this works for you. It sure has for me.

Take Care!
    Pam
  11. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I take 1200 mg gelcaps of calcium with vitamin D

I think they help me relax, which helps me sleep. I'm able to go to sleep faster instead of staying awake 4 hours after taking a sleep med.

12. Elisa

Elisa Member

Yes I did take the 500 mg of calcium last night. And I did seem to sleep better - hard to explain but my head felt more asleep. Sometimes I seem to just lay there in a trance - my brain in a state of "tired byt wired" as they say. I'm not really thinking about anything - I'm just not asleep. Never quite going out and of course, waking up more tired - now I'm sing to the chorus...

But thanks for asking Pam, I am going to try again tonight to see how it goes.

I dont go to bed til 2 AM either - they say that's common with CFS. Dr Cheney told me this...

Do you find it really helps - any tips on type of calcium.

Thanks,
    Elisabeth
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, that's great to hear, Elisabeth and Pam. I hope it helps you.

For what it's worth, I take calcium lactate, because it doesn't give me gas. Calcium is notorious for doing that. But calcium lactate is the weakest form, so it's gentle on the stomach. It does mean taking more pills, though.

Love,
    Forebearance
  14. teacher

teacher New Member

I take about 330 mg calcium citrate about 1/2 hour before I go to bed. I make sure I sit up for that 30 minutes just to be sure nothing returns. :)

Glad to see that you're getting a bit more sleep.
  15. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Elisa,

Sorry I am late getting back to you. I take 500mg of Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D in it. Calcium Citrate is supposed to be a very good form of Calcium that absorbs well into your system.

Are you still taking the calcium at night? Is it helping you sleep?

It is really working very well for me. I used to toss and turn sometimes for hours before falling asleep and I would wake up a lot in the middle of the night as well and have trouble falling back to sleep.

Since I started taking the calcium at night I fall asleep pretty fast now and get much better sleep. It has helped all around with my sleeping. I hope it continues.

Hope it is helping you too.

Take Care,
    Pam