Calf Muscle Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Apr 11, 2006.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

Do any of you have chronic calf muscle pain?

I had my doc examine my calf, he felt no abnormalities, he did say it could be varicose veins stretching during the day and hurting at night.
    I pooped that one off, cause my left calf hurts during the day too!
    Is it the fibro?
    My husband rubs my legs every night, it's my only relief outside of Klonopin and last night even the medicine did not help. I finally resorted to taking a hydrocodone to get some relief and sleep.
    I am not low on potassium. My son (w/MS) suggested I see his neurologist about my legs.
    He also told me that Klonopin can mess with your metabolism and cause weight gain, according to his neuro.
    Love to hear any advice or experiences,
    thanks...granmama
  2. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I have the calf pain also. My rheumy said
    I was having muscle spasms. He prescribed a muscle relaxer and I am taking lyrica also.
    I hope you get some relief real soon.
    (((cathugs)))) Ruth
  3. Kaylovescats

Kaylovescats New Member

I have been looking for someone else who has pain from shin splints...which usually come from too much running but I haven't run in years.

Kay
  4. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I get this too! Rubbing doesn't seem to help mine - to me it feels like they are cramping, but when I rub them they don't feel tight or anything.

Interesting idea on the Calcium to whomever posted that, I may try that one too.

Good Luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Thanks for your advice. I was on calcium for awhile but it seemed to constipate me.
    It just came to me that my legs have always hurt, even as a child I remember my mama rubbing my legs with alcohol.
    Later, when I was about 12, going thru puberty, our doctor said that I was growing too fast as for the reason behind my leg pain.
    BTW, this is the same doc that use to do house calls. Can you imagine that now?? What would all the HMO's do?
    Have a great day...and no leg pain for any of us today!!!!
    granmama
  6. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

BIG TIME!! went to see different dr`s. couldn`t find nothing

wrong with me until i saw my new rhumey. and she said

it might be fluid so she put me on LASIX 20 MG A DAY

it seems to be better. and suffer so long ,,i wasn`t doing

well i was in so much pain ,i could`nt walk anymore

maybe asking your dr. ,,,,, take care,,,,gmom,,,,
  7. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

this had been a real problem for me when I was pregnant. and the Dr said I was low on calcium. it helped when I started taking calcium.
    Sixtyslady
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Be sure to take magnesium with the calcium. It help's with absorbing calcium and will help with constipation.:)

I get muscle spasms everywhere!

best wishes,

Claudia
  9. lhoffpauir

lhoffpauir New Member

DO YOU TAKE A STATIN FOR HIGH CHOLESTEROL???

I went through a period of time when I had a great deal of calf muscle pain and when I mentioned it to the doc, he said that the lovastatin I was taking for high cholesterol will interrupt with muscle repair or pain and suggested that I hold off on taking my lovastatin for a while and see how that goes and it worked!! I am not taking my lovastatin again and have not had any problems since taking a break from the med. If you are taking one of the statins for high cholesterol, try not taking it for a week or so and see how the pain in your muscles responds.

Just a thought........good luck

Leslie
  10. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Granmama,

I have gotten terrible calf muscle pain in both of my legs. I do not get a warning sign. I just step and sometimes, my calf is so tight, my leg collapses. It happens sporadically. I never went to a doctor for it, cause I didn't think it was an ailment they could help me with.

I have noticed that doing certain leg stretches that I have learned in my yoga class does seem to help. At times when I haven't done the stretches the calf tightens up on me again.

Sometimes it is so discouraging to deal with ALL these different parts of our bodies that hurt or don't work right.

Try some stretching, hope it helps you.

Keep on Truckin'

Cindy
  11. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have severe calf pain and the only thing that seemed to help was the muscle relaxers I was on. I have since gone off of them and then calf pain started again. It's mostly from extreme muscle tension and then I try to walk on them and since they are all ready tense it just makes them hurt more. So the only thing that helps at this point (until I find a doctor that will listen and put me back on the muscle relaxers) is the massages my lovely wonderful boyfriend gives me regularly to relieve them. Klonopin never seemed to help me with this. I hope you find relief.

Hugs,
    Shananegans
  12. damz68

damz68 New Member

muscle pain for me. 13 years worth of calf pain, 3 years nonstop. It is awful when it works its way up to my thighs. I wont be much help cause I have not been able to find relief, not even 450mg of lyrica. I guess, for me, it is a form of neuropathy cause my upper body is always burning. I am 37!
  13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I get shin splints to and it's so frustrating because all I have to do is walk up stairs. I haven't run in years either. The best thing I have found is if I'm going to do any excessive moving around on my legs, I wrap them in ace bandages before I go anywhere. So far it saves me from some of the pain. Other than that, the only thing that helps is the massages I mentioned above from my wonderful boyfriend who takes absolutely wonderful care of me. If you find anything that helps, please pass on the word!

Hugs,
    Shananegans