Called by VIP for XMRV testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spacee, Jun 23, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

Came at a bad time. DH just decided to try to enroll us in long term care (nursing home)
    for if we need it. He asked that I hold off being tested cause they might not approve me.

I have to laugh about that one. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell they
    will cover me.

But I'm not sure I want to be tested yet. Good chance I have taken too much stuff
    to be positive. And why not wait till the insurance doc won't rx anything
    until that happens.

Just saying....

2. victoria

victoria New Member

Do you know, is the VIP using yet the new test that's supposed to come out very very soon, or how the WPI did it initially?

I don't blame you for holding off tho.

3. spacee

spacee Member

Haven't been keeping up with it like I should.

I have relied on people posting here but that seems to have dwindled.

Could go to Facebook, or Pheonix Rising but haven't for a while.

Will let you know if I find out anything.....

4. spacee

spacee Member

Good to hear from you. Are you back in your house??

You make a very good point about the panels that the insurance companies
    might not be of any value.

Wish the Long Term Care people would hurry up!

5. renehicks

renehicks New Member

there was a message saying new test will be available in about 30 DAYS. nothing you can take will alter your results
  6. spacee

spacee Member

Good to know!!! Glad I waited :)

7. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey hope you don't mind if I jump in on this, but I was just debating whether to take the test too as I have the kit and one of my docs willing to do it.

I don't understand your guys point about the health insurance panel etc? Could you explain in more detail what yr saying there?

I thought maybe the reason to do it now is before there is even more of a rush to VIP w/this news, but is that new test supposed to be better or cost differently?

8. spacee

spacee Member

Jam needs to tell us what she means by the primary panels.

When she wrote about it, my brain didn't digest it well. It sounds like there is a panel
    that the insurance would pay for now...but that it is useless. (That I had not heard
    before.) Maybe there is one but certainly not in my area yet.

No mattter what I will wait on the newer test from VIP. You see, I would have been
    in your situation...having a kit and not knowing if I should use it.

I have taken kutapressin and targeted transfer factors for years. That was my concern
    about the test being skewed.

So, JAM hope you read this. She has been very ill and might not get to this post.

Ok, just thought of something else. Do you ever go to the Whittmore Petersen site
    on Facebook? Lots of good info there.

I will go there now and see what I can find.

9. spacee

spacee Member

Didn't see anything about a new test. Did say they were expanding the lab so that
    more testing could be done.

If a person wants more info, this email addy was given to use for contact:

I am going to ask about a better test before I get on the list for a test kit.

10. simonedb

simonedb Member

11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If it turns out that XMRV is implicated in CFS and other illnesses in a major way, wouldn't the testing then become standard testing that would be available at most labs across all countries?
  12. spacee

spacee Member

Tiger, that was what I decided to hope for when I cancelled my order for a test kit.

VIP called anyway to see if I still wanted one. (I didn't respond to the message left.
    They said to only respond if I still wanted the kit).

I haven't heard a peep from the Long Term Care insurers. If they would hurry up, I might get
    the test done even if I have to pay for it. I feel like I am deteriorating and would like
    to starts any meds recommended asap.

JAM thanks for responding...