Calling ALL Cooks I have a question about Spinach

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Jun 4, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I have found that I really like spinach (my body feels a little better after eating it) and I would like to eat it in my salads and I am still learning how to cook here.

Do I have to lightly steam the spinach before adding it my salas, or is it okay to eat it raw just like how it is?

I figured that it is in the lettuce groups and I should be able to eat it as it is but I am not sure.

I eat about 4-5 salads a week, either as a side dish or a main course.

In my salad I include dried seaweed, dried cranberries and once in awhile I add crushed almonds.

Anyway please let me know your thought everyone, as I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You buy baby spinach and add that to salads. The more mature spinach you would have to pull the stem off before you put it in a salad.

Yes, put it raw in a salad, just like lettuce. Just wash it or rinse it well and enjoy.
    I personally prefer romaine lettuce with it also. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Oh my gosh thank you so much!

I am breathing a sigh of relief over here as I really didn't want to cook it. LOL. I prefer my salads to be fresh, crispy, and crunchy. I am trying to keep all of the vitamins and minerals in the spinach. I do have fresh romaine lettuce too.

The spinach and romaine lettuce I bought are not prepackaged but some of the other lettuces I also hought today are.

I do need to a little research on the lettuce family to find out what minerals and vitamins each type has. Then try to find them and put them in my salad.

I also need to do more research on good sources of fibro that will give me high amounts of fiber so that I won't have anymore constipation issues due to my meds.

I am finding my body is absorbing the vitamins and minerals better from the foods that I eat which is good but I also take my herbal supplements.

Again thank you so much!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thank you so much!

I actually do take magnesium pills to help me throughout today and in the evening for sleep. I need to buy more of them, I am running out.

Someday I post all of the supplements that I take. Some supplements I am getting majority in foods, so I don't need to overdo it.

Wow I am feeling a little nnarcoleptic here so time a nap.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Apples are a great source of fiber.

Healthy, yummy, simple Spinach recipe (if you like garlic)-

Using a large skillet, saute as many whole cloves of garlic as you'd like in olive oil until lightly golden...medium to low heat so that garlic doesn't burn.

Add well, washed raw spinach (first shake off excess water).

Cover skillet and remove from heat. The heat from skillet with steam the spinach and bring out nutrients.

After 5 - 10 minutes, remove lid and toss spinach. Add Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

Serve with grated Parmesan Cheese over the spinach.

That's it!!!

Variations:

You can enhance this recipe by adding a couple of pinches of nutmeng, chopped, crispy cooked bacon, cranberries, golden or dark raisins, sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts, almonds, walnuts to taste.

Lola

6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Always, always, always WASH prewashed salad greens.

There was a serious case of bacteria in prewashed greens, Dole I believe was the producer.

Cannot remember but I do believe deaths were involved.

I bought a vege wash at the health food store. It is labor intensive yes....but better safe than sorry.

Spinach is unusal in that our bodies are able to glean more vitamins from the cooked spinach rather than raw. I either eat is raw, steamed or jucie it.

Yum, yum

Fondly,June
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

You will need a package of frozen Phillo dough a pack goes a long way.

Also cooked spinach and feta cheese and some minced garlic to taste.

Thaw 4 sheets of the dough keep a damp cloth over it.Cook your spinach in a fry pan than add minced garlic.

Cut your dough into 4 squares,Put the spinach mixture on it than crumble the feta cheese on top.Fold it over and seal using a Little water.

Bake in 350 oven till golden brown.

You will love it.

Sue
  8. Donya58

Donya58 New Member

In a salad bowl, put baby spinach, mandarin oranges(I open a can and drain them), sliced strawberries, pecans and italian dressing. Very tasty. Donya:))
  9. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I eat Spinach with Romaine lettuce and other lettuces. Do I eat Spinach all the time? No.

Seaweed? No.

I like to mix it up in my diet. Spinach and seaweed probably twice a week. If I ate seaweed and spinach all the time, I would be spending all of my time on the toilet with diahrrea LOL. I am sorry to be blunt here but that is the reality and what would happen if I did that.

As for spinach and seaweed being a blood thinner? I never heard of that in my research. Maybe there is something in your son's condition that does not allow him to eat certain things and affects his condition. Check with him and his doctor or do research on your own as well. He may have other factors that prevent him from eating certain fruits and veggies. I have never heard of it being a blood thinner.

For me I don't have blood thinning issues and my blood tests always come back normal as usual.

My main salad types vary as I have a different recipes that I eat. I like variety in what I eat, otherwise it gets really boring.

Everyone, I always wash my fruits and veggies very well, I have been doing that since I was a little girl LOL. That is so gross and NASTY to not wash them, Lord knows what is in there unwashed. The salad mix in a bag I wash as well. I don't trust the food industry as it is!

I am a good girl and was raised and taught very well by my family LOL.

I do know about apples for fiber and I probably eat about 4-5 apples a week but I need to know other fruits and vegetables that are good for fiber. What I am looking for may not be carried in the grocery stores but places like Whole FOods, or Henry's Marketplace, etc.

I need more fiber than the normal person does due to the meds I am on and they cause constipation. I learned about constipation the hard way last week and I don't want to suffer through that again. So I need to add more fiber to my diet to avoid the ole constip.

Anyway I have a big interest in trying different fruits and vegetables that people may not know about--international. I know of fruits and veggies in my culture that the U.S. might not know of, but they are wonderful and have lots of great large amounts of vitamins and minerals in them. I can't wait to eat those when I go on vacation with my family. Yay!

But for now I have to find good things to eat here.

Thanks everyone!

10. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thanks for the recipes!

I unfortunately don't eat fruits that are out of the can anymore as the juices they use to keep the fruits in have corn syrup in them for some of the brands out there. So I will use fresh oranges or tangerines.

Thanks so much!
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

Once in a restaurant I had a good spinach dish.......
    It was Roma tomatoes and more of a juice than a sauce semi thick), (hot) with spices, like basil......over angel hair pasta....om top of that was a bed of cooked spinach with cooked onions/red pepper/green pepper, with a little olive oil.

Brocoli and other veggies is good also.....
    I always drain the spinach well first......

On top of that was a chicken breast that was breaded with crushed pecans and sliced maybe 4 times 2/3's of the way through.

I have done this since but I add the nuts on top of the pasta, if I use nuts at all. YUMMY!

I have always loved spinach every way, except, for the frozen type. Try it on a simple homemade pizza!

Blessings........Susan