Calling all Costochondritis sufferers~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 25, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have chronic costo and it affects my sternum, ribs and breast tissue. It also affects my diaphram bones and lately the skin on my abs. It's sore and burns. I'm not sure if the ab pain is from coughing or the muscle movement when having a BM.

All I know is that I'm in a flare again. Wondering if this is all from the costo or a combination of fibrous tissue pain. It's not my gallbladder - had that out 5 years ago.

Just curious where you all get your pain during a costo flare.
  2. deepak

deepak Member

Dear tania,

Serrapeptase seems to be helping me with this. I am taking it just since 5 days but i notice a marked relief in the pain in chest.

3. znewby

znewby Member

here is another thread on costochronditis
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got steroid injections between the ribs where they connect to the sternum. One shot did it for me each time. The inflammation which causes costo is horrible for us and can certainly lead to flares. I'm not a bit fan of steroids but sometimes, for me, they have been necessary. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Anumber of years ago I had a bad case oof chostochondritis and went to my doctor who called in an anesthiologist to inject my ribs with streriods to try to ease the infmalataion in my ribs, Sadly for me the injections only caused me more pain than i care to remember. I lonly know that I will not do that procudeure again. I hurt far far worse than ever before.

I know that this treatment was meant to help me reduce teh inflamation iinside of my rib cage, but instead it only increased the pain levels so high that I had. I know it was done to help me not hurt me but I endured pain far far worse after that treatment than I ever had. I thank the doctor who tried his best to fix me but could not hlpe me and only made my pain much worse. Thanks doc for your concern. sorry the treatment did not work .Thanks for trying. All hlpe is appericated.Just sish it would help more often
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

They make life so much easier. If you have insurance! They aren't cheap.
  7. Chosto queen

Chosto queen Member

Does chostochondritis cause your entire body to feel very weak . I have Chosto and I am having a hard time even standing . Feel so weak and dizzy like my legs will collapse . And is chostochondritis forever ? I have had it now for three months straight . The first month was absolute hell . I would cry because the pain was so bad and I couldn't breathe. Now it's like a dull ache but I still can't breathe and when I get the pain over the heart it makes me freak out .
  8. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I'm sorry you're in such terrible pain. I've had Costo only once, (last year), and it raged for about 1-1/2 months. I thought it would NEVER leave my body! Yes, the first month was absolute hell - I had to go to the ER two or three times, the pain was so horrendous and unrelenting. Plus I didn't know what was happening to me because I didn't know what Costo was. I have learned that different people experience different symptoms with this disorder, and I don't recall feeling weak or dizzy, and I had no trouble breathing. Though I did often get sharp pains in my chest if I breathed in too deeply.

I would think that your quality of sleep has been poor since the Costo started. (It's not like the pain goes away at night.) I'm no doctor, but poor sleep could certainly be the cause of your weakness and dizziness. I was lucky in that I read a post somewhere online last year, where a patient suggested sleeping sitting up in a chair. What great advice that turned out to be! If you're not doing this already, I highly recommend it. It feels awkward at first, but after a week or two you'll start getting used to it.

From what I read about this horrible condition, each bout can last for weeks or months, but not "forever". However, I also read that once you've had it, you're more susceptible to getting it again. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.

Hope you see some improvement soon! Hang in there.

9. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Hi Tannia,

I've had Costochondritis on and off for many years. I want to tell you very quick story...

I have try many protocols and I am a big fan of using nutrition to healing the body. I was eating a low carbohydrate Pescetarian Paleo diet and had my FM uncontrolled for the most part. Last year I start juicing more to see if it would be beneficial. My costochondritis was in complete remission at this time. I started supplementing my diet with carrot juice. I only consume 2- 8oz glasses of carrot juice over a 12 hours day. I woke up the next day with full blown costochondritis. I knew that the sugar in the carrot juice was feeding the infection. I learn a valuable lesson. Don't feed infections!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. Sarahloudobby

Sarahloudobby Member

I'm not sure if I have costochondritis as not been officially diagnosed with that though I have a diagnosis of CFS. I get a lot of small pains in my ribs and shoulders all over really, but around where the xythoid process is and those ribs it is sore and feels bruised to touch but I'm sure I make this worse sometimes by poking it to see if it hurts! I had one spell of really bad pain that was sharp and took my breath away. I have only tried ibuprofen and aloe gel so far. Does costro also cause a pressure feeling in the chest?
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Sarah,

I responded to your other post about swallowing. Costo is inflammation in the rib area of the chest. One can find the sore spot by applying a bit of pressure with the finger between the ribs where they connect to the sternum. When one pokes a spot so sore it makes one feel like passing out, it's the spot! A good sports doc can inject that spot with steroids and reduce the inflammation. When I lived in CO, every winter I would get costo from all the asthma and bronchitis I had. One steroid injection would clear up the costo til the next yr. Costo can not only cause pain in the chest, it can radiate down the arm and feel as though it's shooting out the back by the shoulder blade. It's also called, Tsetse's Syndrome.

I never had the pressure from costo but did have it from the swallowing spasm you described in your other post.

Love, Mikie
  12. Sarahloudobby

Sarahloudobby Member

Thank you Mikie. It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Though obviously I wish none of us felt like this at all. I've looked up about the spasms and it makes a lot of sense.
    I have pain in between my ribs around the 5/6/7 rib esp at the front, I thought for a while my bra was causing it! These symptoms got worse after I had my babies I guess everything was moved around and squashed though for a very good reason lol.
    You're help and advice is really appreciated
    Sarah xx