calling all disabled seniors.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Aug 25, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Wanted to check in with you, and see how everyone's "coping". It's been a really rough 2 years for me. But I'm sure that's possibly a result of 3 moves in 2 years!!

Then I had "no life", so have stayed a hermit, with the exception of my hubby, toy dog & caretaker.

My neurofeedback has been helpful, but there are reactions due to my sensitivity, so slowing down on that.

Aging & three auto-immune diseases bring you to your knees, and being in my 60's, I see the deterioration exceling.

So, what did I do!! Yes!! Went out & bought two gentle trail horses. Decided that since it's the only way I can be physical, why not............Paul McCartney's wife, Linda asked him to take her to their ranch to live out her days w/cancer. She wanted to ride her horses as long as she was living.

I no longer have desires to be around people anymore, as it's just too draining. But animals "feed me".

What's helping you?

LIGHT & Great Compassion................carole
    aka Spirit Horse
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

If it's age, I don't make it. I'll be 47 tomorrow.

If it's life experience, I'm well over 100! LOL

If it's how I feel...well, today I'm only 99.

But I can relate to much of what you said. My aunt used to say "Growing old ain't for sissies". Boy, was she right!

God Bless.
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carol
    What a great idea! My animals feed me, too. I have a cat, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and an assistnace dog named Elsa. I am most comfortable with them and have given up accepting invitations to dinners and parties.

A couple of weeks ago some relatives were going to come and see me, and I asked them not to come. I was just too sick and tired. I'm lucky that they understood.

Other things that feed me are meditating and reading. I can't read for very long, but I do what I can. Oh, yes, and my acupuncturist. He is a very spiritual person,and an advanced Buddhist and meditator. I think God has led him into my life so that I can learn from him, and then support him by my prayers. Besides which, he's given me hope, again.

Peace,
    Terry
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

But there are a few things, at least for me.

Most of life's struggles are over.
    I don't have to worry about:

my education. I've got it.
    my career. It's over.
    finding a mate. Got one.

Finances. They are what they are. Don't need to be thinking about earning more, or buying this and selling that, etc. (I don't see how middle-class people can afford current prices.)

Religion/philosophy. My opinons and attitudes are all formed. Highly unlikely to change at this late date.

My appearance. Nobody, including me, cares what I look like.

Impressing people. There is nobody I need to impress.

Friends. I have a few and due to DD am not likely to make any new ones (except here on the board).

The great world problems. Everything from collapse of our economy to global warming. I can't do anything about these problems. The young people will have to cope.

Disability. Yes, I am disabled, but I think most of the people here are sicker than I. And the reality of it is, my turn is about over anyway.

5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Like "Cher" said in her last interview......"Aging Sucks"!!
    Well if I'd looked like her, I'd have an added issue as well.

Loved Rockgar's list............so true. The feeling of "been there; done that" has a huge sense of relief.

My fav line to rude people (esp the lower male species ha!)
    is......"get this.....I'm in my 60's & a grandmother, so don't give me any of your B.S." Really backs them up & gives my warrior a chance to express himself. Also gives me a little adrenal rush that I rarely have anymore.
    And it makes me sicker anyway........poo!!

My near death experience has prepared me to move on, so I guess that's my "hope" & faith.

Blessings, light & "huge" compassion............carole

6. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Carole,
    Boy if I had the bucks to keep horses that is exactly what I'd do. What a good idea. Riding is one of the few things I can do without pain.

I know your going to just feel better being able to ride anytime you feel like it. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

kbak
  7. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Bless your heart, Rockgor!

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head! I am 59, sick for 10 years with CFS, and I feel the same way you do. Thanks for putting it all so well.

Harrysmom
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My answer is: often with great difficulty.

CFS and aging are not a great combination. The one redeeming thing about getting older is that we are who we are. As Daniel Gottlieb said, You live so much of life trying to be what other people want you to be, then finally you can be just who you are.

Love Rockgar's list too! Amen.

Marta