Calling all dog lover's, my dog has a mass cell tumor

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by claudiaw, Jul 18, 2007.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I post on the FM board sometimes, most times I'm in too tight and too much pain to type. But this is so important to me. I had to post.

My dog's mean the world to me, they make me laugh, smile and calm me when I'm hurting. Now my 6yr. old American Bulldog mix has been diagnosed with 2 mass cell tumor's.

He had 1 removed 2yrs. ago, we thought it was over since he went so long w/o another one, but unforunatly 2 more have popped up.

I know it's selfish of me, but I really need prayer(or whatever you are comfortable doing:)first for me, this is sending me into a huge flare. And I am praying that the mass is small and non aggressive. And that they never come back!

Thanks for listening and your thought's and prayer's,
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm so Sorry to hear that your fur baby has these Tumors! ,,,,,,,,,It is definetly not selfish of you to ask for prayer!,,,,Your request is honored with me! ,,,,,,We get soooo,,, attached to our furbabies! and them to us!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your are in my prayers,,,,Hope it turns out to the good!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I hope that your furbaby recovers completely...pets are the best things in life, I think.

4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I appreciate your kind word's, thought's and prayer's.

Thank you,
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thank you.;)

I'm worn out searching the web for info.

6. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

Hi Claudia,

I am very familiar with Mast (not Mass) Cell Tumors as I run a pug rescue organization and pugs tend to get these a lot. The things you have to know are what grade these tumors are once they are surgically removed and if they got clean margins.

They are graded 1-5 with 1 being the lowest. I've known many pugs who have had just one removed and have none ever to appear again and I have known others who have been getting some removed a lot.

You just need to be on the alert now and talk to your vet after they are removed and make sure he got clean margins (thinks he got ALL the cancerous cells around it) and find out what grade it is.

I know these things are very scary. My first pug had two at age 7 and lived to be 13.5 years old, so there is hope.

Take care!

(I haven't been on the board in a while)

Atlanta, GA
    SE Pug Rescue
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Last time (2yrs. ago) the margins were clean they graded it a 2, but closer to a 1. apparently the guy who grades them likes to be safe so he calls them all 2.

These 2 new ones are in different areas from last time.

I keep him on benadryl all spring and summer and give him supplement's that boost the immune system and reduce histamines.

If you have any other suggestion's I appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing your story. I think it's great you run a rescue. If I physically could I'd love to do that. I know it's a lot of work.

I live in the country and was allway's finding dog's people would dump off, I'd spay them and find them a good home. It's a lot of work.

8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

It is not selfish of you to ask for prayer. Your doggie is one of God's creatures. you love your doggie and don't want him to suffer. I'm sorry that you are having a flare too. Stress seems to just cause flares. You and your doggie are in my thoughts and prayers. Soft hugs. Joyfully
  9. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

That sounds good Claudia. It sounds like you're doing the right things with him. I have heard the Benadryl works well too.

I hope these other two tumors are low grades, too, and the vet can get them out cleanly.

Yes, running a rescue isn't easy. When my health went downhill I had to get some more volunteers to help and luckily I've had some good ones step up to the plate. I do think the added stress of the rescue directly attributed to my bad health now, though.

10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the thought's and prayer's. Hoping for a good outcome.

I'm exhausted. he was in a lot of pain, vet was closed so I called emergency vet and of course they won't tell you anything because they are afriad of being sued. This morning myvet said I could double his pain med. Would have been nice if they could have just said that last night. It makes me mad, which isn't good, I know.:)

praying for a good outcome to this.Thanks to each of you who took the time to respond to me, it helped a lot.;)
    I pray the best outcome for your own personal struggle.

Best wishes,
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2007]