Calling all gut-health experts, post here please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Aug 16, 2005.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I have to admit that this post is a little bit selfish as I want to pick the brains of all the people on the board that seems to know so much about the gut.
    I've been reading your posts and have a few questions (aimed at myself).
    Some of you will remember that I posted a week ago about my stomach, that there is something seriously wrong and I thought I overdosed on a colon cleanser.

Yesterday I finally went to the doctor after it just got worse and worse, horrible burning and nausea and diarhea and I can't eat and was just feeling miserable.
    He said I have gastritis and possibly a peptic ulcer, that I have to slow down, take things easy and stop stressing.
    I have been suspecting for a long time that I am being poisened by my gut, I eat relatively healthy (have ibs) and take probiotics but I am permanently bloated and constipated and my BM's doesn't float (but there is still a debate on that), although I know they are small and hard and dark which is probably not good.

The doctor told me to watch out for signs of liver infection which I found interesting, I've never made a connection between gastritis and liver infection and would like to hear some opinions on this.
    Also any tips from people who have been in my position before, it seems all I can eat is bland food (staple food=toast), water and herbal tea but not veggies, protein or fruit.
    I am now taking Ulsanic, Losec and Maxolon and he said I should give it 2 weeks.
    I was wondering if I could go for a colonic then or do you think it is too soon?

Also, what is your best relaxation method? I know in my case at least that stress has a direct effect on my bowels, and I find it very difficult to switch off and even get irritated at myself for sweating the small stuff and obsessing over things that I can't do much about anyway. Here is where the type A personality comes out and why I have the gastritis.
    I have tried deep breathing exercises and meditation but alas, my brain just doesn't want to cooperate.

Hugs
    Phoebe

2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

There is too much for me to tackle now, w/ no sleep, but I know some very easy relaxation techniques that even the raciest brain can manage.

Easiest, quickest relaxation technique I know of that does all sorts of good things for endorphins, bp, etc takes about a minute a day. Use a note to remind if you need to. Best if you are doing deep abdominal breathing at same time, not shallow lung breathing, but from the diaphragm so you see your belly, not chest moving.

Just picture anything that gives you peace, a simple picture, a puppy, kitten, sailboat, ocean whatever floats your personal boat. And focus on and enjoy it for a minute or longer. Make the pic as detailed w/ colour as you like, if you love black and white pictures, make it that, get artsy if that's your flair. I like to get other senses in too. Don't let it be something you can get emotional about like a spouse, child, favourite pet.

Because I'm a cat person, and cats would have an emotional link, my best one is a puppy. A smelly puppy w/ velvety feeling floppy ears. I love all animals, but I'm emotionally neutral for this one, yet it makes me smile and feel really good to engage three of my senses and think about him. About that pungent puppy smell this breed has, how he looks brown w/ spots, probably a spaniel/lab mix and how super soft his floppy ears would feel. One of them is turned inside out in that comical way that can happen.

the other technique is just the deep breathing, any time you think of it. When you are eating is extra esp. important. Put sticky notes on your placemat if you have to, post signs until you get int he habbit. I've practically gotten gastritis and indigestion out of my life by chewing very thoroughly, eating much slower, and deep breathing while I eat. If I start to feel crampy like indigestion is coming on, I ly on left side, deep breath some more and that usually nips it. If it doesn't quickly, I take a probiotic.

Jeanne
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I too was very bloated-it is very painful. I had wrap around pain around my whole middle thru my back. I'm no expert I'm just listening to my body. It is taking my colon a long time (2 months) to start moving daily, my bm's were like yours for years! Now days I'm having a bm once a day in the morning. I'm a long way from 3 a day one ofter each meal but thats my long term goal. My doctor said that any time your colon is having trouble your liver is in trouble too. They go together. I feel you are on top of the problem and it's going to take time just keep reading and listening to your body. I feel a simple diet is best. I have to steam my fresh vegtables as my liver can't handle a raw diet yet. And I will bloat up bad if I eat to much at one time. It took me a while to figure that out-I eat smaller amounts and I'm doing better now days. If I eat something and then I don't feel good after words I write down what I eat and I don't eat that again or I may eat a smaller amount of it. I think sugar plays a big role in my not feeling well---so I'm cutting out the sugar slowly.
    Just remember you are moving lots of old stuff out of your colon-bye-bye to all the toxins leaving your body!!
    I hope this helps you don't be scared you are listening to your body and things will get better. I also drink lots of culligan water and no tap water goings into my body.
    Take care,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  4. Mother_Margaret

Mother_Margaret New Member

diarrhea is what I get anytime I'm around 2-butoxyethanol ... just walking into a freshly painted room ... or where people exposed to it are breathing it out in their breath .. or in cleaning products too strong with it.

I get diarrhea. The faster it comes on, the stronger the exposure.

For people I'm concerned about with the same exposure, it does cause autoimmune issues (the fatigue is compensated autoimmune hemolytic anemia) and one of those is the gut, as you say.

Liver? Just as the blood tests are fooled on the fatigue, the liver is often a different count than first shows up in the test.

www.valdezlink.com/leforg/checkliver.htm
  5. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Phoebe,

I too, had serious problems with my gut. In fact was in the hospital twice (for total of 3 weeks) because my GI tract shut down. After 3 colonoscopies and various other tests, was diagnosed with Crohns Disease then "undiagnosed" then diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Fast forward 4 years (after alot of pain and suffering)began to experience all the symptoms of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue so began going to a naturopathic doctor. The first thing she focused on was healing my gut. She did a food sensitivity test (blood test) which detected multiple food sensitivities. I immediately cut out all of those foods and almost overnight was cured of the terrible gut problems I had suffered for 4 years. Unfortunately it didn't help with all my other symptoms but I was thrilled to be cured of such a huge problem. The test is expensive (around $400) and probably has to be ordered by a ND or MD. If you can't do the test you may want to do a search of common food sensitivities and methodically eliminate them one at time to see if they are the culprit. If not reintroduce. As for me, I no longer eat any wheat, diary, citrus, eggs, lettuce, etc, etc. Wheat is a very common culprit as is soy, corn, diary. Hope this helps, Good luck and take care! Janice
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thank you all for your very valuable advice! I'm going to print out this post and keep it with me.
    I am a very strong believer in gut health and thanks for pointing out the liver as well, that is something I will look into as soon as the gastritis is gone.
    Stormy, won't the aloe and lemon burn my stomach? I gag from aloe because it is so bitter but maybe I can take aloe tablets, as long as they are gentle on the stomach, I still think I should go for a colonic just to start clean, if you know what I mean.

Love
    Phoebe
  7. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I drink this juice I started out with 1 oz. 2 times a day and slowly I'm uping the amount. It's got Certified Organic aloe vera juice, aloe vera pulp, pear juice concentrate, natural lemon-lime flavor,xanthan gum Less than 15 of the following natural food grade source: Citric Acis )Oxidation Inhibitor), Potassium Sorbate (Mold Inhibitor)
    Taste like lemon-lime to me I drink it in the morning and later at night.
    so far so good. I guess its helping at any rate I don't feel any worse drinking it.
    Dee50
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

gall bladder pain with the classic stools indicating poor bile flow, and the usual gamut of GI tract problems. The probiotics I used before no longer seemed so good so I had to start all over again. It took some time but I got there in the end.

First I made sure I was more aware of which foods might be aggravating the gastritis and did some research on diets for liver and gall bladder health as well as colon health. I went about things very slowly.

A very small amount of an organic vegetable oil taken from a spoon before eating to gently stimulate bile flow may help, I started out with flax only to find I could not tolerate it, so found an oil sold by a local health store which provided small amounts of omegas 3, 6 and 9.

I took digestive enzymes with all my meals. The one that worked best for me was Sedona Labs’ Zymapro, now I only need a basic digestive enzyme product and mostly use Essential Enzymes by Source Natural.

I changed my probiotics and opted for the powdered versions of a few, it may have just been coincidence but Flora Balance seemed to bring me up quite a few levels gastritis wise. I used a variety of probiotics to help with colon health and at this time found iflora by Sedona Labs the best. Soil Based organisms can be very good for restoring GI tract health; I was very impressed with Primal Defence when I took it later on.

I used cycles of various herbal antiinfectives for my GI tract, some worked better than others. I was treating candida and possible pararasites as well. Three months on berberine complex got things started, after that I cycled olive leaf extract (least effective for me), black walnut (most parasite combos contain agents I cannot tolerate), wild oregano oil, (very good) and grapefruit seed extract which I could finally tolerate for about a week at a time. Mastic gum also did wonders for the gastritis.

Fibre products like psyllium husks or ground flax seeds are good. I used some herbal combos to treat the liver, gall bladder and encourage gentle detoxing. These consisted of small amounts of a wide variety of herbs and plant-based agents; I avoided anything too strong or too stimulating.

Aloe Vera based products are reportedly good but I cannot tolerate any of the cactus family.

Now I use lemon water to stimulate the liver, digestive enzymes etc, but it was a long time before my stomach could tolerate it.

As for relaxation. Over the years I have observed typical A types trying to be what they’re not and end up with more problems as a result. IMHO the art is to recognise you are an A type and go with that. Lots of short relaxation techniques often work best. There are tapes that can help with mood and brain wave patterns, you do not even have to listen to them, just have the music based ones playing when you need their effects.

I was taught meditation when I was young by my grandmother, we all were. It was easy when I didn’t need it, and near useless after I became ill. What it did teach me though was the all-important awareness of the state achieved through mind clearing and body relaxation techniques, I now go for that state for just short periods of time whenever I need to. I found it great for the frazzled fatigue and buzzing in the head we can get when we have over done things.

I am sure power yoga became popular because it suited those who do better being more active. We all need to practice stress management and relaxation techniques, the art is to find the one that suits each of us and is practical, we all have different demands on our time/energy and different lifestyles. As with exercise finding a means of relaxation you enjoy will make it more successful because you will stick with it.

Good luck.

Love, Tansy
  9. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I really appreciate all the advice, I know I have to take some drastic steps to improve my colon health, unfortunately none of the brands you mentioned sounds familiar I don't know if they are available here in South Africa, anyhow I will look for something similar.
    You all have given me something to think about, I am so grateful to you and this board!

Love
    Phoebe
  10. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi Phoebe, sounds a bit of a challenging time.In the early stages of C.F.S. i found an allergy doctor quite helpful but your symptoms seem different even though i had severe gut and liver probs...they thought it was hepatitis..I cut out dairy, gluten most fats soy and all additives....prior to this dignosis I was eating mainly bread.
    Do you have access to a good naturopath who has more than a primitive understanding of C.F.S.?
    I am not sure I could tolerate aloe vera and i find most drugs and even many natural herbs are a problem...If i stick to my diet I have next to no bowel symptoms.
    Antiinflammatory foods for me are white rice, lentils, lots of steamed and raw veges partic. root, apples and carrot juice Good luck with it all
    Did you know there are more neurons in the gut than in the brain..
    I also use digestive enzymes(very Natural Ones) or paw paw or kiwi fruit. eat small amounts every 2 hours and try to eat my main meal at lunch time.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]