Calling all researchers, Jan......everyone pls read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Dec 14, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I mentioned a few days ago I have been snooping around in medical journals, I am curious about a disease called adrenopathy. I could not find any informative info such as what exactly it is and what are the symptoms and what can be done, anyone else know about this or want to check it out??? I will continue looking also. I think it may relate to us, just a hunch. Jan was it you who said you love to reseach, I am having a particularly high adrenaline day and I have little ability to do anything so far today.

Thanks for your help.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2002]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I mentioned a few days ago I have been snooping around in medical journals, I am curious about a disease called adrenopathy. I could not find any informative info such as what exactly it is and what are the symptoms and what can be done, anyone else know about this or want to check it out??? I will continue looking also. I think it may relate to us, just a hunch. Jan was it you who said you love to reseach, I am having a particularly high adrenaline day and I have little ability to do anything so far today.

Thanks for your help.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2002]
  3. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I don't know about anything specific, but the word itself means disease of the adrenal glands. I'll dig out my journals and see what I can find (soon as I get some of your adrenaline ;-)
    Peace and Love,
    Stormy
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

ADRENALS

ADRENOPATHY: Let's talk first about the fight or flight hormonal gland, the adrenals, almond-shaped glands, one atop each kidney. Adrenopathy means simply malfunction of the adrenal system. Just the cortex of the adrenal makes over 40 different steroid molecules. The cortex secretes the corticosteroids (mineralcorticoids, glucocorticoids, and 17 ketosteroids {sex hormones}). Aldosterone, cortisol and DHEA are the major adrenal steroids. The main sex hormone secreted by the adrenals is DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone, sometimes praised as an antiaging hormone). (Murray and Pizzorno, 1991) DHEA is increasingly produced as one reaches puberty, peaking at age 25-30, then slowly beginning to decline. Some scientists refer to it as a biological clock of aging. (Seachrist, 1995) The medulla of the adrenals secretes adrenaline (epinephrine) and noradrenaline (norepinephrine), which are involved in the fight or flight response. Adrenaline is the emergency hormone. Complete adrenal exhaustion is better known as Addison's disease. Addison's disease is characterized by extreme weakness, weight loss, low blood pressure, gastrointestinal distress, and a brownish pigmentation of the skin and mucous membranes. (Leung, 1984) People with adrenal exhaustion may feel "stressed out", tired, and may be prone to allergies. Excessive adrenal activity may result in the opposite; anxiety, depression, elevated blood sugar and cholesterol, and high blood pressure. For a period, naturopathic physicians were recommending Whole Adrenal Therapy, or Adrenal Cortical Extract (ACE). This extract contains small amounts of all the adrenal steroid hormones from the adrenal cortex of animals. This whole extract is scarcely available for several reasons, one being FDA regulation. The isolated hormones, like cortisol and DHEA, still available, may not be as effective as the whole natural complex. It still may take cortisol, a hard core drug, for Addison's disease or complete adrenal failure, but many of the immunostimulant herbs, especially licorice, can be cautiously used by knowledgeable practitioners in mild adrenal insufficiency.

ADRENAL ANECDOTE: A woman came to me pleading for a miracle, hinting that prednisone, given to her boyfriend as part of the treatment for serious ailments, had shut down his adrenals. I immediately thought of licorice because that is supposed to stimulate the adrenals. Chinese think of licorice as the great harmonizer or master medicine in their mixtures. But her boyfriend was having trouble keeping his blood pressure down and licorice is prone to raise blood pressure. Prednisone may tend to slow or shut down the adrenal gland, where the body usually manufactures its own steroids. Too much steroid may make the adrenal lazy or invalid. Without problems of hypertension or low potassium, licorice would be the first botanical alternative I'd recommend to stimulate a tired adrenal. Perhaps that's why Mowrey (1986) recommends licorice for hypoglycemia, to increase the effectiveness of the adrenal glucocorticoids circulating in the liver, even mimicking the activity of these hormones. Glycyrrhizin, the active ingredient in licorice, has an affinity for the glandular receptors and "inhibits the anti-granulomatous action of cortisone... The anti-inflammatory effect (making licorice useful to some arthritics) is therefore probably due to a release of corticoids from the adrenals." (Mowrey, 1986, parentheses mine) Atrophy of the adrenal cortex may follow prolonged stress, cortisone administration, and just plain aging. (Murray and Pizzorno, 1991) Licorice extract stimulates the adrenal glands, making it useful in fatigue due to adrenal exhaustion. Licorice and its extracts are safe for normal use in moderate amounts. However, long term use or ingestion of excessive amounts can produce headache, lethargy, sodium and water retention, excessive loss of potassium, and high blood pressure.

If you don't like your info coming from herbalists and naturopaths, listen to Professor Norman G. Bisset, Chelsea Department of Pharmacy, Kings College, London. Glycyrrhizin and its aglycone lie behind the mineral corticoid effects of licorice. There are connections between them and the adrenocortical hormones, since, among other things, these effects are only observed when there is still at least a little functional adrenal cortex. With rat liver preparations, both compounds strongly affect delta-4-5-beta-reductase, which is important in the human liver in regulating cortisol and aldosterone metabolism. This may retard the metabolic excretion of corticosteroids and extend the half-life of cortisol and aldosterone. In Russia, licorice preparations are used collaterally in long-term cortisone treatment, enabling the steroid dose, and hence the side effects, to be reduced.

Mergentime (1993), in an article on better sex, gives long shrift to men, short shrift to women, listing only dong quai as a female aphrodisiac. But there are nutritional implications for women's sexual vitality as well. Vitamin A "supports adrenal function" and "Healthy adrenal glands are important for sexual function in both sexes." That latter quote suggests to me that licorice, the super adrenal stimulator might be useful in frigidity due to adrenal or endocrine insufficiency. Normal sexual function requires a healthy endocrine system. Sexual arousal begins in the hypothalamus of the brain, which chemically signals the pituitary gland to release gland-stimulating hormones. The pituitary, "master gland of the endocrine system", governs the activity of the thyroid and hormone releasing sex glands. Vitamin B-1 (thiamine) is important to adrenal and thyroid function. Vitamin B-2 (riboflavin) "aids in reproductive function." Vitamin B-3 (niacin) is essential to the pituitary. Niacin flushes are aid to be sexually stimulating. Folic acid is "helpful to ovarian function." Pantothenic acid "supports adrenal function, provides pituitary support," and is "said to improve sexual stamina." Vitamin B-6 is involved in making "neurotransmitters including epinephrine which is thought to be involved in orgasm.” Vitamin B-12 "supports adrenal function." Vitamin C "supports adrenal function." Vitamin E "supports adrenal function." Essential fatty acids, "Vitamin F", are "needed by the thyroid, adrenal and prostate glands." Of amino acids, Mergen-time says lysine is " said to enhance fertility", arginine is "essential to the function of the pituitary", phenylalanine " said to stimulate interest", tyrosine " said to improve sex drive", and histidine " said to improve libido in both sexes" (italics mine). The italics are to emphasize that the sex properties are said to be, by this I suspect Mergentime means that one of his sources said it or reported someone else saying it, and that there is no "hard" proof, in humans at least.

ADRENOPATHIC BOTTOM LINE: Even if my impersonal physician were positive that I was suffering a partial adrenal inadequacy, I'd be reluctant to take his prescription. I'd at least ask him if he didn't think I might experience fewer side effects if I went with my herbal alternative, a high potassium diet with frequent Pantothenic Salads, and a nibble of my homegrown ginseng and licorice roots (watching my blood pressure), chased with a ginseng tea, sweetened with licorice and molasses. Maybe I'd even resort to that high priced Chinese combo, ginseng and royal jelly, for the pantothenic acid in the royal jelly. Or if poor, I'd stick with oatmeal and molasses, a combination my father almost forced on me sixty years ago in red-clay Alabama. One thing that strikes me in rereading my adrenopathy literature; the important herbs for stimulating the adrenals are also important immunostimulants: astragalus, echinacea, eleuthero, ginseng, and licorice, the ruling herb in so many Chinese formula.

5. tandy

tandy New Member

You've got me curiuos too.The info above is great!!liorice huh?I love black licorice.....its hard to find here.I"ll try a google and see what I come up with.
    Tracey
  6. JP

JP New Member

Hello Jaci

I was in San Francisco, during a storm when you posted today. I did not read above posts and it looks like you were given a lot of information. Isn't it great to ask a question and have such support?

I will keep this short as I am short on time tonight.

Adrenopathy = a disease of one or both adrenal glands. Adrenal glands are part of our wonderful, and oh so important endocrine system. Some examples of adrenopathy would be diseases with names like Addison's, Cushing Syndrome or Waterhouse-Friderichsen Syndrome. There are more...

I hope this is helpful...You can email if you wish and if I can further help, I would be happy to do so. Thanks for asking!

Take care,
    Jan
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Thanks so much for posting this very good piece. I have a couple of books by Naturopathic doctors Murray and Pizzorno who are mentioned above. My adrenals are definitely overactive, and I've been taking Pantothenic acid and eating oatmeal for a long time now. I have a theory that this may be the one real difference between CFS and FMS, namely that FMSers have overactive adrenals and CFSers have underactive ones.
    Klutzo
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Thank you Karen, you are great! I agree with you Klutzo on the difference between cf & fibro, what was it the dr recently told us that was here, he was talking about for adrenal overload, one thing was yohimbe herb and there was one more for controlling the adrenaline/cortisol. I can't remember.

I get the adrenaline going so bad some days and it usually does start with my son argueing with me (8 y.o. behavior) and once it starts I cannot stop it. I just wake up some days like today with it just racing and my heart races, I have considerably more pain, everything else is magnified. Sounds are especially bad to me at these times. I get so damn irritated at every little thing, especially when it comes to Cody as in my experience he would never even brush his teeth or wash his hands if he were not told to. Parenting just wears me out!
    Anyway, back on subject, I have seen a whole lot of big long words in the medical journals that start with adren........ and they do not discuss fibro but there sure is a lot of mention of these adrenal disorders.

Madwolf, can you please weigh in on this?

Jaci
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I know my adrenals are funky...lol....i get that adrenal rush, its too familar to believe it to be something else. This is on days, that I suffer from the more typical fm symptoms, with pain being number one on the list, and like Jaci---I am just plain racing.

Here comes the strange part....on days I am so fatigued, I literally find it difficult to change positions or take a step, I am sure those adrenals are in hibernation mode.

I have been diagnosed with both fm and cfs....I know the theories that they are different or they are the same...doesn't really matter, as I suffer from symptoms of both.

It just seems to me...my adrenals go hyperactive, and then...then go hypoactive to try to revive themselves. I am sure they play a good size role in all this. Whether they themselves are impaired or its part of our neuro/endocrine/you name it/nutzy systems.
    karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/17/2002]