Calling any students in the Toronto, Canada area

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gernmeinschatz, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Gernmeinschatz

Gernmeinschatz New Member

I thought I'd use this forum as a starting point - I am a university student in Toronto, Canada who is looking to connect with other students who have CFS.

Currently I am away from my family, and am pretty much all by myself, struggling to get through the last year of my degree with little to no support.

I'm not really into starting a "support group" and doing advocacy type things - as much as I would love to, I just don't have the "umpfh" to do that. All I'm looking for is to perhaps assemble a small group of people for moral support and friendship.

I figure if I don't reach out I'll continue to be all alone.

Thanks!! :)
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Welcome from another Canadian to this board.

I hope you find some people to chat with. Good luck with your studies.

I am not a student (my children are) but I congratulate you on your studies and your decision to reach out to others with CFS.

Reaching out was one of the best things that I did for myself.

Hugs Marion (Redwillow)

3. caffey

caffey New Member

I am from the TO area. I don't have cfs. Was just diagnosed with fm along with ra and a bunch of other junk. My son graduated from UofT with high honors in Business Management. He loved it there and had great professors. Congrats. on getting this far in your nurses training. I was in nursing for 30 years until I got sick 3 years ago. I don't know if I can be of any help to you. But if you want to vent or just babble let me know. Just leave me a post or if you want to chat in the chat room let me know.
    Cath
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I was a Nursing Prof until I had to go on Disability. I do understand what you are going through and I congratulate you. There are so many fields open to nurses these days that I'm sure you can find somewhere to use your skills. Don't be discouraged about that!

I'll keep my ears open for any other students in your shoes. I agree that reaching out can be very helpful. In the meantime, take some time to enjoy your music as well. It can be very healing.

Kathy
  5. Gernmeinschatz

Thanks for your responses - I appreciate it!

Maybe I can chat/send a pm some of you - once I figure out how to do it - this forum is a bit different from some of the others that I'm used to.
  6. Gernmeinschatz

Cath and Kathy - what area of nursing were you in? Did you try to go into a different area of nursing once you became ill? Just curious...
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have had this for 15 years and I was teaching when I was diagnosed. I took some time off and went back. I guess I was lucky in that I had an employer willing to make concessions for my illness. I was able to work part time when I couldn't do full time. Eventually, I had to stop as even 2 days a wekk was too much
    In retrospect, I probably should have taken more time off in the beginning, but we know a lot more now that we did then.
    Depending on your energy level, there a lots of different opportunities from part-time clinical, to research to special clinics etc. I wish you well in completing your final year.

Kathy