........CALLING KDEENAK.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyoreblue02, Apr 16, 2006.

1. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I read with interest your post abut thoracic outlet syndrome. I have carpal tunnel syndrome (unsuccessful surgeries on both hands) and cubital tunnel syndrome. I have heard that it is common to also have thoracic outlet syndrome when you have these others.

I have noticed that I cannot hang clothes in the closet without hurting so bad I have to quit. I can't raise my hands up to water flowers. I blowdry my hair with my head down toward my knees to keep from hurting so bad. It even hurts to fold clothes when I have my arms only up about chest high.

Does this sound like you? Keep me posted on what you do about this. I have had more than ten surgeries in my life, two just last year, and am so not interested in going that route. Are there natural ways to help with this?

Linda
  2. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I forgot about the hanging clothes in the closet! Oh that one is really bad. I reorganized some last week and had to rest. Folding clothes is hard. I usually have to do it partially sitting down on the bed.

This may sound bizzare to you, but I get so tired that I have an odd ritual to get ready to go anywhere: I have all of my makeup, my hair dryer, hair products, a good mirror in my bedroom hidden in the corner close to the floor and I get ready sitting in the floor!! I sit there with my arms at my sides and get ready that way. We don't have room for a make-up table yet, but when we have our house built I will be getting one. To stand and have my arms up kills me and I just can't do it and I don't care how it looks. I don't think I could go anywhere if I didn't do that.

My husband showed me some stretches that he teaches his patients. I will try to explain them as best I can.

One is called a Muslim prayer stretch. You sit in the floor on your knees, bend forward with your chest on the floor, outstretch your arms over your head. You should feel a good stretch. Stretch your arms and fingers as far as you can. I hold it for a count of 10, then change position to the left so you are stretching your left side the same manner hold for 10, then do the right side, hold for 10. (When I have fibro pain in my back this actually seems to ease it temporarily.)

The other I am not sure what he called it, but you sit in a kitchen chair, feet on the floor, back straight, left hand gripping the side of the chair, right hand on the left top/side of your head. Take your hand and gently push on your head until you feel a stretch along your neck and down into your shoulder. Hold for count of 10. Repeat on other side.

If I remember what he told me, he said these stretches help to open the canal?, as with thoracic outlet syndrome it constricts because of the tightened muscles.

Both of these exercises help fibro.

As he thought mine was primarily on the pectoralis minor muscle he massaged that muscle on my upper chest, he told me I could do that at any time. You just find the sore spot, and you will be able to, believe me! When you get that tight feeling, tingly, numb feeling, just massage that and it tends to force it to release. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below your clavicle, or it was for me anyway.

I hope that helps :) Let me know what your think so I know you got this.

Hugs,

Deena
  3. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Thanks for the exercises. I will try those. I dont' know enough about thoracic outlet to know exactly what is happening inside my body.

I hesitate to bring this up to my dr for fear of seeming like a hypochondriac. I already have such a long list of illnesses!

I'm going to try the exercises and read up on this on the internet. I had thought of this before, but shoved it out of my mind until I read your post.

You're so young to be so sick. I had a few more good years than it seems you have. I am so sorry.

Linda
  4. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Wheny hubby gets home from work I will pick his brain about cubital tunnel syndrome, the cubital part sounds familiar from nursing class but I seem to have forgotten everything I learned from one year ago. DD!!!

I thought about asking the doctor about the thoracic outlet syndrome but I was afraid he would think I was a hypocondriac too, and I think they just send you to a PT anyway and I have one :)

Other than the stretches, they do massages and the ultrasound treatment. Other than that, I don't think there is anything else besides surgery for the TOS :(

HUGS,

Deena
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

is your "funny bone". The surgery involves taking that nerve off your elbow and putting it in your inner arm. I know two women who had this done and one man. I refused to let the doctors operate on me when I was diagnosed. I'm tired of the knife.

My husband is a graduate of massage therapy school, but does not work in that field. He is able to help me with a lot of things her at home. I'm sure if he knew exactly what needed to be done for me he'd be able to help.

I saw where one lady posted she had a rib removed. That seems so extreme. I had never even heard of that before.

Sometimes I wish I could just get a big ole' bottle of hydrocodone and at least be able to quit caring about all of this for a little while!

Thanks for helping me here. You're sweet to do that.

Linda :eek:)
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

My husband looked it up in one of his college books...

It did mention that was common to have symptoms of TOS when you have cubital tunnel. It also said that cubital tunnel mimics TOS, so tests for it should be included in a thorough examination.

In TOS, one of the symptoms is "complaints of fatigue with use of arms and hands for overhead reaching activities"

So at least now I know why I have problems with arm fatigue!!

I am going to bed now. :)

Hugs,

Deena
  7. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I edit depositions for a living. I am currently editing a deposition by a doctor who is testifying for one of his patients who has, guess what -- thoracic outlet compression.

Life is weird sometimes. I have never in 12 years had a deposition about this syndrome and after having spent the day talking to you about this, up comes this depo!

Please tell your hubby thanks for taking his time for me.

Good night,

Linda
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I have cubital tunnel syndrome in both
    my elbows. I have had surgery on the left
    one twice. I need it on my right, but I've been cut on so much that I keep putting it off.

I let the left go too long and lost a lot of muscle.
    I have had total joint replacement in
    my left shoulder also, due to degenerative
    arthritis.

I can really understand the weakness you all
    have in your arms. I have a hard time hanging clothes in the closet also.
    I have my big ole bottle of hydrocodone also.
    Much love and appreciation to you all.

((((cathugs))))
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

have you ever considered the possibility of thoracic outlet syndrome?