Calling Mikie........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Nov 7, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mikie, I have gone through your post on Klonopin, in hopes of finding dosage. I found where you take 1/4 tab under the tongue for desensitized outings. I cannot find where you have posted your daily dosage.
    I had an appointment, yesterday, at my doctors, and asked if he would discontinue the elavil, and replace it with Klonopin. I was taking a small dose (70 mg.) of elavil at bedtime, for sleep. It wasn't helping. (Not only that, but the weight is increasing, although I am subsiding on little in the way of tolerable foods.) Additionally, restless leg had greatly increased, and now had restless arms, involuntary movement in trunk and head. I also have sensory overload, and anxiety attacks (when I seldom venture out:)
    Prior to my docs appt.---Being a ditz....(someday I will learn, hmmmm) I had self medicated with Paxil, thinking that would rid me of the anxiety, and irritability. What a mess I made, lol. I am not kidding, when I say I had the most maniac two days...I was wired...beyond description. Then I stumbled across an article on serotonin syndrome. Geez--not suppose to mix Elavil, a tricyclic antidepressant, with meds like Paxil. Boy did I feel dumb!
    At any rate, I kept my faux pas to myself, at Doc's. Didn't want him to think I was irresponsible. He agreed to give me a try on Klonopin. May I ask what your dosage is? Do you just take it at bedtime, with the exception of the 1/4 tab, for outings?
    Thanks so much,
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mikie, I have gone through your post on Klonopin, in hopes of finding dosage. I found where you take 1/4 tab under the tongue for desensitized outings. I cannot find where you have posted your daily dosage.
    I had an appointment, yesterday, at my doctors, and asked if he would discontinue the elavil, and replace it with Klonopin. I was taking a small dose (70 mg.) of elavil at bedtime, for sleep. It wasn't helping. (Not only that, but the weight is increasing, although I am subsiding on little in the way of tolerable foods.) Additionally, restless leg had greatly increased, and now had restless arms, involuntary movement in trunk and head. I also have sensory overload, and anxiety attacks (when I seldom venture out:)
    Prior to my docs appt.---Being a ditz....(someday I will learn, hmmmm) I had self medicated with Paxil, thinking that would rid me of the anxiety, and irritability. What a mess I made, lol. I am not kidding, when I say I had the most maniac two days...I was wired...beyond description. Then I stumbled across an article on serotonin syndrome. Geez--not suppose to mix Elavil, a tricyclic antidepressant, with meds like Paxil. Boy did I feel dumb!
    At any rate, I kept my faux pas to myself, at Doc's. Didn't want him to think I was irresponsible. He agreed to give me a try on Klonopin. May I ask what your dosage is? Do you just take it at bedtime, with the exception of the 1/4 tab, for outings?
    Thanks so much,
    Karen
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What is considered the "normal" dose for Klonopin is two .5 mg tablets before bedtime and one .5 mg tablet cut in half taken twice during the day for a total of 1.5 mgs a day.

Start out slow with only one .5 mg tablet at bedtime. I only take 1 1/2 .5 mg tablet and have been on this dose for a year. Instead of cutting my daytime tablet in half, I quarter them. One half taken during the day can make me tired. This way, I have much more control over my daytime dose.

Print out Dr. Cheney's article in our library for your doc. It has the dosage right in the article. Our library articles can be chosen in a printer-friendly format to make printing easier.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So Karen will have a chance to see this.

Love, Mikie
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Always appreciate your help :) Ya know, I think I am making progress. Just trying to tackle one thing at a time, keep the good, and throw out the rest. It took 45 years to get into this mess--it may take a bit to improve the situation, lol.
    Thanks again!

[ advertisement ]