Calling Rafiki, artists, elephant lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

This is so amazing, it almost brought me to tears!

"Watch this elephant, rescued from abusive treatment in Burma, now paint an amazing self portrait. You'll be amazed at how his talent unfolds."

Not only does he paint a nice picture of an elephant, the attention to details, and the final happy touch near the end just blew me away!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Boy, that elephant nose what it's doing!

The video froze up half way thru. They seem to do that a lot on Youtube.

Thanks for posting.

3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

That made my day. What an amazing thing for such a huge, cumbersome animal to be able to do. Fascinating.

I'd like to learn more about how the trainers actually got him to do that! It just seemed like the elephant knew what to do naturally. Very cool.
  4. willas

willas New Member

The keepers don't "train" the elephants, they only present them with the opportunity - providing paint, brushes, canvas, etc. Some animals will pick it up & do amazing things & others will lick the paint from the brushes. A lot like people.
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I love the gasp from the man who is the first one to realize what the elephant is painting. Thank you so much for posting -- my son and I sat here astonished and watched the whole thing!
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's really neat. Elephants are amazing creatures.

If your screen freezes while watching YouTube, press the Play button and it will Pause. Wait a few min. or more depending on how long it takes for the red bar to go across the bottom, while it's loading up. Then you can hit Play and watch the rest or drag the knob back to the start position and watch from the beginning and it will play through without stopping.

Also, if you click on the lower left button of the YouTube window it will enlarge the picture to the size of your screen.

7. victoria

victoria New Member

even if the elephant was taught to do it, which is possible thru the handler's body language/subtle cues... tried to research it, but couldn't find anything on snopes ...

but really neat no matter what!

I did read an article by someone who collects elephant painted art (all abstract in this case) who said that about 1 out of 10 paintings made per elephant were really good; and that every elephant had its own style - some made more loops, others made more straight lines, etc., and with the elephants he was familiar with, he could tell which elephant made what art .. and also some didn't like to do it at all.

Sounds very much like humans!

8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

When I first saw that video, I went surfing and came to an article about painting elephants. It was not necessarily about the same elephants, but it said that they are trained by artists to do it. If you go to (the people who made this video) and click on "rare finds" on the left, there are 4 floral paintings done by elephants that sold for $475 each. They are really cute.

I saw some other elephant paintings that were more like squiggly lines - what you would expect from an animal.

So maybe this particular elephant is like one of the Great Masters of the animal world.

Even if they are trained, it's still amazing. I noticed that the elephant went over lines a second time, with incredible control. It's hard for us humans to follow the same line again with a brush. I couldn't believe he could do it with his trunk! I wondered if he was trying to darken them because they came out too light the first time. A perfectionist elephant? He also went to extra work to make the belly real dark, like he was shading it.

Also, that little finishing touch he put on the tip of the trunk coming around the front of the stem - to show that it was grasping the flower - that blew me away!

9. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Hey, I just stumbled upon a website featuring our favorite elephant artist and her friends. It goes into a little more detail about Hong and her paintings.