Calling Senior Horseback riders.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jul 17, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Need some of your advice. Hurt my back (gardening!!) & it's been a month, and of course it's the slow healing thing.

Done chiropractic, and was thinking of P.T., but then I thought, why don't I just get on a horse and walk around to start getting some strength.

In the past, years ago, P.T. wasn't that helpful.

Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do?

Thanks.................carole

2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Just wanted to say hi - i used to be a horseback rider before my symptoms got bad. I've thought about getting back into it on a small scale (like you said, just getting on and walking around) when i'm not in a bad flare up.

I'd talk to your doctor.. if its okay then i would give it a try! If you can find a good trainer who understands your situation and could help you with grooming/tacking up/mounting, it might be something really good for you! :)
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Carole, riding is always therapeutic for me. In the past several years I've had to cut back how long and vigorous a ride I go on, but it's still so wonderful just to walk.

Have you read Monty Roberts' book "The Man Who Listens to Horses"? He apparently has no discs between several vertebrae in his lower back and deals with pain constantly, but would never give up riding. I can understand!

Jan
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Being a Threapeutic Riding Instructor at a NARHA facility, I delt with students with back injuries, brain injuries, Cerebal Palsy, etc. You name it.

First off, do you have any prior riding experiance? If not, I would recommend you have someone to lead you around at a walk only because an accident could cause further injury.

If you know anyone who has a gaited horse like a Tennassee Walker or Paso Fino that would be the most ideal for strengthening your back with low impact. Walk in large circles and serpintines. Also walk forward and back up for about 3 or 4 steps then forward again. Don't forget to waarm up first by doing some basic arm stretches.

I HIGHLY recommend riding for back strengthening. I forgot to say that if you have osteoperosis, this may not be a good idea at all. Good luck and I hope you find some relief.
  5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I didn't read your bio untill just now and saw that you are an experianced equestrian. It is still a good idea to have someone with you just in case....

And DON'T go galloping yet, as you know. Enjoy your ride and be very careful.
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I decided since I've been in back pain for so long, so what if I feel a little more, so I went for it. Have to admit I was a little leary, but had this really calm, bomb proof guy & a trainer who came with me. ]

I used my own saddle so that made it more comfortable. At first I was just going to walk the arena, but my partner said let's just take this small "hill".

That's when the pain started, but we just stayed at a walk & my partner told me stories of her 80 year old gf who was always riding! And like someone above said........you can always ride; if only at a walk.

Got home; into the bath; then on ice & bed. But surprisingly slept the same. This morning just a little sore from the "spread" of those thighs, but now I KNOW this needs to start up again.

Thanks for your posts; gave me great perspective!!

LIGHT***********carole

P.S. Ever see that ad where a paraplegic girl in her wheelchair with her dog & trailer? Dog opens the trailer door, and brings her horse out. Horse lays down & she mounts, and off they go..........sooooooooooo cute!!